Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Far Would You Go?

JappyBeast

Some of you know I need to buy a new engine,

My car is my hobby and I have spent so much on her but where do you stop??

Its 14 years old and when does it cross that line where you are just burning money and spending too much? I believe in my car but its getting old... where is the line?.. I use her everyday and I dream of my grand kids helping to clean her.

Help!

Its an MR2...not some lame cookie-cutter Camry or Yaris or whatever you guys have over there (sorry, Yaris owners :thumbsup: ) One day it'll be a vintage sportscar worthy of collector tags (though yours may not be original hee hee).

I'm sure people in the past have wondered about spending money on that ~15 year old MG, E-type, 427 Corvette, Alfa, 240Z, P1800...whatever. In the end, they did, and thankfully a few of those old sportscars are still around for younger generations to enjoy. I think the sports cars from the 80s and the 90s sportscar boom are worth the same treatment, if you really enjoy owning them.

Put another coat of wax on that MR2 for me! :D

Its an MR2...not some lame cookie-cutter Camry or Yaris or whatever you guys have over there (sorry, Yaris owners  :thumbsup:  )  One day it'll be a vintage sportscar worthy of collector tags (though yours may not be original hee hee).

I'm sure people in the past have wondered about spending money on that ~15 year old MG, E-type, 427 Corvette, Alfa, 240Z, P1800...whatever.  In the end, they did, and thankfully a few of those old sportscars are still around for younger generations to enjoy.  I think the sports cars from the 80s and the 90s sportscar boom are worth the same treatment, if you really enjoy owning them.

Put another coat of wax on that MR2 for me! :D

hes hit the nail on the head

Agree Puls has made a very good statement.

However what a lot of people did when those vehicles reached around 15 to 20 years old is not use them as everyday transport. Would it be possible for you to have another car (something you wouldn't want to spend on, etc.) thus you could have your MR2 as the hobby car and for nice days/car shows and not have to use through our damp winters.

Just an idea.

there has to come a time where u say enough is enough mate, u could always sell it and but another younger model?hope u make the right decision, when the spending on the car stops u enjoying yourself.....then its time to get shot of it. it is only a car after all.

u know im talking sense mate.

baz

Some of you know I need to buy a new engine,

My car is my hobby and I have spent so much on her but where do you stop??

Its 14 years old and when does it cross that line where you are just burning money and spending too much?  I believe in my car but its getting old... where is the line?.. I use her everyday and I dream of my grand kids helping to clean her.

Help!

Hi mate

My Tubby is 15 years old now and ive spent a loads and loads of money on it even though i spent a hell of a lot more than your thinking of i found its worth it every penny for the smile factor.

From the pictures of your car on your sigi it looks like like its in good condition and as long as the boby works good and its structure is sound and every thing else works you cant really go wrong .

Look at it this way if you go and buy a another MR2 your looking at £3000 for a good N/A with low mileage and £4500 + for a really good turbo and then you also lose money on yours as its a dead one (sorry to be harsh) if you fit a new engine your looking at £1000 N/A -£3000 Turbo and you will know you have a good car with nothing wrong with it and peice of mind is worth every penny.

HTH

Steve

My car's 7.5years old, high mileage 135K, it ain't worth shizzle to anyone else. It was a gift so it's got 'Mental value.

For me It will be cheaper to put a new engine in it than go looking for another car. At least I know every problem, dent & scratch on it from new.

If I had the funds and the space to keep the MR2 alongside a daily driver. I would.

And if I don't have funds or space, that justifies a nice new engine even more.

You've got everything else JUST the way you want it. unless you need a change.

Yeah mate keep her!!! I saw a Celica the same as mine going at an auction on Friday night. Felt weird watching car dealers scamper around it...makes you realise some things are worth hanging onto!! :D

once you have a new engine in it you won't question it, fensport who arn't the cheapest will get you a rev 1 / 2 low milage engine for £495+vat

YEP Go Fensport for the engine. :D They know there stuff. :group-cuddles:

Yeah if possible can you keep her as a 2nd car and get yourself something else to use instead..i.e a Yaris for all your running around during the week? :D

Word. I think its time to pick up a reliable cheap little beater to drive to work in...spare the MR2 the rigors of daily driver life :)

keep her andy !! It's not like your paying out stupid repair costs on it all the time. Fair enough a bit of bad luck with the engine... but one day these cars will be classics!!!

Got loads of emails from find-a-part this morning with engines ranging from £290 up to £450.. its all good!! :):):)

Got loads of emails from find-a-part this morning with engines ranging from £290 up to £450.. its all good!!  :):):)

Andy hun you are not listening. FENSPORT for the engine. END OFF. :group-cuddles:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links