Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed Camera Detectors Targeted

blockbuster

Radar detectors that warn motorists they are approaching speed cameras could be banned under proposals going before Parliament.

bbc news item

A ban, if passed in the Road Safety Bill, could come into force next year.

The devices, used by thousands of motorists, emit a warning sound when approaching a camera which is working.

They cost around £200 and fix on to car dashboards. Manufacturers say they improve safety by warning drivers of speed limits.

The detectors also alert motorists to mobile speed traps run by police.

Cutting deaths

The Road Safety Bill is aimed at meeting targets to reduce road deaths.

It also proposes flexible speeding fines which would distinguish between those travelling a couple of miles over the speed limit in a non-residential area away from schools and other dangers, and those travelling at high speeds or in sensitive areas.

I think they tryed to ban them before but got no where as they are classed a a saftey device.

I listened to it on the radio today as well,but they were talking about banning those gizmos that jam radar from speed cams.

I listened to it on the radio today as well,but they were talking about banning those gizmos that jam radar from speed cams.

Thats the garage door opener isnt it

I will not be removing any of my equipment as it's there for many reasons, my road pilot is excellent for keeping track of your current speed as it's much easier to glance at the digital display rather then at the speedo.

Gives your exact location by gps if you've broken down which means it's much easier for breakdown assistance to find you. Also great for finding where you are if your lost using maps.

It's actually much better for driving around busy towns with speed camera's as my unit is only set to beep if I go over the speed limit so therefore you know your ok in your current speed limit passing the camera's, avoids any sudden braking which has been proven to cause accidents with people trying to avoid being flashed by gasto's

Take away most of the speed camera's that are either put in just to make money or hidden from view and the police that setup mobile laser camera's in really obscure hidden locations and I'll gladly remove my equipment.

I don't drive like a nutter but sometimes you can be driving along and be just slightly over the limit without knowing and bang you've been snapped. I also do a lot of driving up and down the country on unfamiliar roads through year going to many car shows!

Be very interesting to see if the new legislation makes it through as there's going to be 1000's of motorists across the Uk out of pocket with a useless product(s)

Kev

I agree totally with Kev - It helps me keep a track of my speed much better when I'm looking at the road and not at the speeo al of the time.

I want them try to stop me using my new PDA based system...

As I said - Snooper S6-R Neo is up for grabs... PM me for details ;)

A

When I bought my RoadAngel II, I paid VAT.

So if the government makes them illegal does this mean they will re-fund me the tax, or are they taking money for goods they know will be illegal, in which case will they be prosecuted for such activities? :blink:

i havent got a road angel yet but am planning on getting one, and the goverment just want our money not to be safe, they put cameras there for cash generating not for safety reasons,

Buy my Snooper then! :lol:

Similar but cheaper ;)

This is what I just dont get - people buy these devices for legal reasons - ok so they can be used illegally, but so can a lot of things!

I could go and buy an old banger tomorrow, no tax or MOT or insurance and drive it like a hooligan, knocking a few grannies over in the process - totally illegal of course! But the government isnt exactly going to make driving cars illegal, now are they?

Oh boo hoo, they'll lose revenue on a couple of speed cameras.....

This country has more pressing matters of importance than outlawing Road Angel, and similar devices..... :ffs:

I believe they are only planning on making DETECTORS illegal - not GPS based units like Road Angel.

Still - they must be on really shaky ground here.

The way it is at the moment, every single camera in the UK is at a proven accident blackspot.

Every single camera is placed at those blackspots to save lives. They are not there to generate revenue AT ALL.

Now surely - if these safety cameras are there to save lives, it does not matter HOW you are alerted - only that you are aware of the fact that you are approaching an accident blackspot.

Will be very interesting to see how the plan on arguing this.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links