Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Home Computer Question

gordypix

Scenario:

1 Laptop Computer located downstairs.......connected via broadband to AOL

1 PC located upstairs

I want to make a Home network to allow both computers to run on AOL Broadband off the same account. Would prefer a WIRELESS network and wondered if this is the sort of thing I need to set it up:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=82066

Any ideas much appreciated.......... :thumbsup:

Yep, that'll do the job.

Looks like you might need a wlan card for your PC (unless you want to terminate your broadband upstairs too).

Should do - you'll need a network card of some description for the desktop too though.

The only potential may be with AOL though - it can be a pain in the bum.

Good luck,

Alan

Yes, alot of companies dont like you networking with them.

Blueyonder Telewest didn't know I had done it. But it kept cutting out so I had to keep connected direct to the box rather than through a LAN and Router. Phoned Blueyonder up, they said "Uhh we dont support home networks" and cut me off.

I get it fine most of the time, but now and again they cut me off until i connect direct.

The last month has been really annoying. Maybe in the LAN connection for a day and direct for a week at a time. On direct connect at the moment. Needs sorting.

I rang AOL and they are fine with a network - either they are or I cancel with them. They hate it when you do that. Did it once before and they did everything short of sending me a bunch of flowers to get me back.......... :lol:

So when set up will both connections run at the BB speed at the same time...????

I belive they will yes.

I think the connection will be roughly halfed in each computer. Cause they wont double your speed for free! But if only one computer is using the internet, it will get full power.

If your firewall/router supports NAT (network address translation) then you shouldn't have any problems. Basically you can configure it so that all the machines behind it appear as a single external address.

I've got exactly the same setup as you want but with NTL.

Avoid belkin as they slow up too much.

I've got a Linksys broadband router (was £95, now cheaper) and a wireless card for the laptop (approx £40).

the broadband modem goes into the router and a ethernet cable to the PC. The router has built in wireless and setup takes about 5 mins.

very easy and runs at 11g all the time ;)

I've got exactly the same setup as you want but with NTL.

Avoid belkin as they slow up too much.

I've got a Linksys broadband router (was £95, now cheaper) and a wireless card for the laptop (approx £40).

the broadband modem goes into the router and a ethernet cable to the PC. The router has  built in wireless and setup takes about 5 mins.

very easy and runs at 11g all the time  ;)

I tried 2 Linksys systems, both of them fried after 10 min's

I run the Belkin and don't have any problems at all :thumbsup:

I run Linksys, its alrite. Never tried anything else. Was a !Removed! to setup though.