Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wireless Laptop

Youngy

I want to make my laptop wireless as iam going on a jolly to somerset soon. Have no idea what i need / to do. Is it easy or shall i leave the damn thing at home?

Ta :thumbsup:

You want to connect using your mobile phone or does your destination have a wireless network for you to use?

Staying in a cottage..so no idea if it has a wireless network? You can do that then yeh..use your mobile? Explain explain explain :lol::lol::thumbsup: Virgin at this game!

If your cottage has a wireless network then you simply need a wireless pcmcia card.

Plonk this is, install the drivers and when you get to the cottage it should autoconfigure itself via the dhcp from the wireless access point (unless its been configured otherwise)

If your talking about accessing the internet via a mobile you will need to firstly check if you can do this by looking at your mobile manual or checking with the manufacturer.

If it is possible you usually just install the software for the phone and it dial out onto the net via your mobile using a supplied cable or the infra red.

Be warned though - this aint cheap by a long shot :thumbsup:

My laptop has built in wireless, my home has a wireless router, and when I am about and about I have an orange 3G card. :thumbsup:

If you just want to access the internet via your mobile then you'll need a bluetooth adaptor for your laptop (about 50 quid) unless it is already wired internally for bluetooth. Your phone would also need to be bluetooth compatible. I use it when at my caravan in Wales and yeah, it ain't cheap! Dead easy to set up though.

It you're using wireless card then remember it will only work if within range of a Wi-Fi transmitter.

Mobile phone to laptop works but - check the coverage of your mobile phone network because you need a good signal.

It's very slow - slower than ordinary modem speeds and some web pages just hang. Using the text only versions for BBC News is OK though.

If you only want email then the best bet may be a mobile phone with that capability.

It is very unlikely your cottage will have a pbulic wireless network unless they have told you so.

So your only way is through mobile phone which requires a good mobile phone, a large bill and alot of patience. You would probably be better off popping into an internet cafe for your fix :P

Yeah I get 9.6kbps on my mobile so visitng TOC isn't a great idea unless you use the Lo-Fi version of the site. Not having a go at Somerset but if you are in the countryside you may find Wi-Fi not an option anyway (certainly not where I go to in Wales!). Mobile signal strength is variable in the Welsh mountains but if you go that route you can get some idea of signal strength in the area you're visiting by asking at a mobile phone shop.

Or you could leave the PC and have a real rest! :thumbsup:

Or you could leave the PC and have a real rest! :thumbsup:

Do they do patches/gum for that? :eek::bye:

:lol::lol::lol:

Trust me, the first mobile phone bill you get after using it cures any Internetty type addiction :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links