Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning Light(s) On Display

Yaris_VVTi

hey people, its been ages! lol. :help::help::help:

anyway, at about 6pm (uk time) today i went to park my car back onto the driveway. ive been using it for all of today, probably drove about 15-20 miles in total. when i was about to start it up i noticed on the display the Battery DISCHARGE WARNING LIGHT (the one that comes up in the shape of a red battery) and the YELLOW MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT (in the shape of a yellow thingymajig), the old man says that discharge lights are nothing major, and its probably just the timing belt needs changing. ive done around 34020 miles, and had my yaris in december 04, with around 32000 on the clock. has anyone got any ideas on how to resolve this problem without having to pay out of my a :censor: s for the toyota dealer to have a look at it? your advice is much appreciated! thanks :blink:

PS i only had the Battery brand new from Halfords on the 6th jan! (still a 3 year warranty on it!) :censor:

a timing belt warning light. thats a new one. it the belt using too much power who knows.. thell your old man to stay off the pop :P

a timing belt warning light. thats a new one. it the belt using too much power who knows..  thell your old man to stay off the pop :P

so im gonna need a new timing belt? how much is that gonna set me back? and how long does it take to change?

EDIT: (is it me or has the forum completely stopped?) help me pleeeeeeeease people! :D

Never seen a timing belt light before.. it's probably either a faulty Battery, the fan belt is loose (thus not charging the Battery properly), or the alternater is not kicking out 13.5v.(or there abouts).. best to take it to a mechanic and get the charging system checked properly..... my 1.0l gs does not have a timing BELT it has a timing CHAIN.. which don't normally need changing as part of a regular service. My service book says... timing belt n/a.

Never seen a timing belt light before.. it's probably either a faulty battery, the fan belt is loose (thus not charging the battery properly), or the alternater is not kicking out 13.5v.(or there abouts).. best to take it to a mechanic and get the charging system checked properly..... my 1.0l gs does not have a timing BELT  it has a timing CHAIN.. which don't normally need changing as part of a regular service. My service book says... timing belt n/a.

so how much would a new fan belt cost me, and how long would it take to be put in? (a faulty Battery after 2 months? if thats the case i am gonna give Halfords a piece of my mind tomorrow. 3 year warranty - what jokers.)

Fan belt would be 10 - 15 quid maybe (never bought one for mine ... 15 mins or so to fit.

dunno about that model...but you say the lights are on before you start up...ie with just the iggy on?? then they always are......dunno about the yellow orange thigymajig.

Check the Battery connecitons..if it's just been replaced...they may not have been put on securly enough.

Timing belt...nah...

Fan belt...about £2 for the belt...about 30 mins labour.

Vipes

dunno about that model...but you say the lights are on before you start up...ie with just the iggy on?? then they always are......dunno about the yellow orange thigymajig.

Check the battery connecitons..if it's just been replaced...they may not have been put on securly enough.

Timing belt...nah...

Fan belt...about £2 for the belt...about 30 mins labour.

Vipes

well ive never seen the Battery light til today. the red Battery light and the yellow engine light always come on when i have the key turned a bit but hte engine isnt on. when i turn the key again and the engine starts the lights go off. the connections look secure enough. the yellow 'engine' light has always been on apparently. looks like im gonna have to show it to the dealer tomorrow morning. cheers for the info viper. as long as its not above £15 i wont feel too bad lol. was planning on buying a £150-200 suit at the weekend for a wedding comin up! lol :eek:

aye Battery light is always on when the iggy is on but the engine is not running..... as it's discharging and not receiving any charge.

are you sure the yellow light isn't the ABS light..or the airbags?

both go through a self test, and will go out after about 15 secs.

Edit.. ah 1.0..no ABS... ah well.

aye battery light is always on when the iggy is on but the engine is not running..... as it's discharging and not receiving any charge.

are you sure the yellow light isn't the ABS light..or the airbags?

both go through a self test, and will go out after about 15 secs.

as far as im aware, my car doesnt have ABS, not sure about airbags. the airbag warning light is a big circle next to a man in the seat with a seatbelt on. the yellow light in the manual is referred to as the "malfunction indicator lamp" and on page 99 it says:

"this lamp warns you that there is a problem somewhere in your engine electrical system.

if it comes on while you are driving, have your vehicle checked/repaired by your toyota dealer as soon as possible."

so i doubt its the airbags, deffo not the ABS tho. mines a V reg 99' yaris.

(EDIT: neither light comes on when i turn the engine on.they go off instantly.)

Edited by Yaris_VVTi

There is absolutely no problem then, its all good! :thumbsup:

There is absolutely no problem then, its all good! :thumbsup:

are you sure? neither light was present until today at about 6ish.. kinda worries me to see so many lights when im about to start the car up.. :wacko:

There is only a problem if the lights are on when driving I'm pretty sure, I'll see what other people think though! :thumbsup:

There is only a problem if the lights are on when driving I'm pretty sure, I'll see what other people think though! :thumbsup:

cheers mate. just takin extra caution as when the next service and mot comes round theyll try and milk all the money they can from me! :ffs:

Yeah, I don't think there's a problem if the lights go off as soon as you start the engine - It sounds like you're just noticing the lights that having been doing their thing since you got the car!

Sounds like you can relax!

Cheers,

Alan :thumbsup:

Yeah, I don't think there's a problem if the lights go off as soon as you start the engine - It sounds like you're just noticing the lights that having been doing their thing since you got the car!

Sounds like you can relax!

Cheers,

Alan :thumbsup:

im not too sure.. i think im gonna take it to the dealer tomorrow anyway just to b safe. :!Removed!: :blink:

Let us know how you get on ;)

A

Let us know how you get on ;)

A

will do. if i have to buy anything and they charge stupid prices ill go mad!

:ffs: me on the rampage!!! :ffs: lol

Thats exactly what I was gonna say too - those lights always come on at ignition (although you just never notice!) :P

Thats exactly what I was gonna say too - those lights always come on at ignition (although you just never notice!) :P

Yeah they do on mine too - I call it the engine doing its own check :D

Errr.. i got an ABS orange light in my dash.. 1.0l. GS... i think it means i got ABS breaks.. don't you?

When all the lights go off when you start the car.. then all is fine (When the car reaches running temperature, the blue temp guage light also goes off).

Errr.. i got an ABS orange liht in my dash.. 1.0l. GS... i think it means i got ABS breaks.. don't you?

When all the lights go off when you start the car.. then all is fine (When the car reaches running temperature, the blue temp guage light also goes off).

Yeah, 'Baby' was 1.0 L but ABS with EBD on her as well :thumbsup:

The lights come on as the car does a self diagnostic of its systems. They should then all go out. It's when they stay on.... that's the time to worry! :fear:

The yellow light is to do with either a sensor that has blown or has a loose connection or you might have the same problem as i have which is there is a small leak in the exhaust system from the down pipe till the backbox it will be there somewhere you wont be able to see it as it would be as small as a pin hole but if you can get your car on a car ramp and go underneath it you will be able to feel a small blow from somewhere in the exhaust.The solution for that would be option 1 get it welded or option 2 get a garage to put silicone seal which is for exhaust only.Thats what i got done and after that i just reset the ECU and the light went off and hasnt came back as of yet.