Do Not Sell My Personal Information

R.I.P. Karol Jozef Wojtyla

BLOODUK

nice way to put it :D

god rest is soul, top chap caring to all walks of life unless you are a poof, but still he was a top bloke.

them doves are gonna be loanly now.....

Well thats a nice way of putting it

At least hes not suffering anymore the poor bloke

Bless him

I'm not a Catholic, I'm not even religious - but he was a good man and will be sorely missed. He'll be remembered fondly.

At least he's no longer in any pain and is finally at peace.

At least he's no longer in any pain and is finally at peace.

Agreed, what a horrible last few days :(

It always puzzled me that as heaven is such a perfect place, and the Pope was sure to go there - why did he drive around in a bullet proof car??

Rest in Peace John Paul II

Ok.. i'm sorry he's dead and all that.. :( but the Vatican are one of the worlds worst hypocryts.. :ffs: they plead for us to help the poor and needy (and rightly so) but the Vatican itself has furnishings (paintings etc) worth MILLIONS.. why don't they sell them off to hep the less fortunate?.

Sorry to offend ANYONE but this sort of hypocrisy is beyond beleif at times.

Of course its a sad day for the Catholic church.. and i'm sure the thoughts of many are with them.. the guy done A LOT OF GOOD in his time.. but the Vatican could do more.

boro, cause someone tried to kill him.

just found out, if he hasent suffered enough, when a pope dies they hit them on the head three times with a silver hammer. god knows why. just tradition........wierd.

boro, cause someone tried to kill him.

just found out, if he hasent suffered enough, when a pope dies they hit them on the head three times with a silver hammer. god knows why. just tradition........wierd.

The hammer would have been lightly tapped on the Popes forehead whilst calling his christian name and after three taps and no replies from Pope John Paul II he would be certified dead

The hammer would have been lightly tapped on the Popes forehead whilst calling his christian name and after three taps and no replies from Pope John Paul II he would be certified dead

Didnt know that, how did u find that out steve?

ah cheers steve, i didn't know it was like that........ odd really. the ammount of people in rome is incredible it really shows how much people care...

when a pope dies they hit them on the head three times with a silver hammer. god knows why. just tradition........wierd.

not necessarily.

the carmelengo (popes right hand man) either taps him on the forehead three times, whilst calling his given name, or else they place a cloth over his mouth to check for breathing.

its just a tradition - hang over from times when they lacked the techology to check any other way to confirm a death.

Does anyone know why he was called Pope John Paul II and not Pope Karol Wojtyla? Do Popes need to have specific names or something?

Does anyone know why he was called Pope John Paul II and not Pope Karol Wojtyla? Do Popes need to have specific names or something?

A cardinal called Mercury was elected Pope waaaayyy back.

They felt it improper to have a Pope (leader of the "modern" Christian Church) with the same name as a pagan god.

So started the tradtion of each Pope adopting a different name

ah cheers steve, i didn't know it was like that........ odd really. the ammount of people in rome is incredible it really shows how much people care...

Not just in Rome all over the world mate as he was probably the most respected man in the world.

instead of twonking him on the head a few times, wouldnt it be quicker to check for a pulse?

sorry to say but i aint a follower of his doings or whatever, plus the fact that it doesnt affect me in one way so i aint gona make a big deal out of it! fair enough hes dead, may he rest in peace!

im not religious at all but im sorry to see him die as i would anyone. but personally i think the media attention is stupid. his life was no more important than anyone elses. all lives are equal. though its just been on the telly when he threw the doves and they landed on the window sill and wouldnt fly off. thats funny :P

when he threw the doves and they landed on the window sill and wouldnt fly off. thats funny :P

:lol: I remember that

Ok.. i'm sorry he's dead and all that..  :(  but the Vatican are one of the worlds worst hypocryts.. :ffs:  they plead for us to help the poor and needy (and rightly so) but the Vatican itself has furnishings (paintings etc) worth MILLIONS.. why don't they sell them off to hep the less fortunate?.

Sorry to offend ANYONE but this sort of hypocrisy is beyond beleif at times.

Of course its a sad day for the Catholic church.. and i'm sure the thoughts of many are with them.. the guy done A LOT OF GOOD in his time.. but the Vatican could do more.

Agreed.

I don't want to upset anyone by getting into religion, but suffice it to say I was born Roman Catholic, but I have been agnostic for my entire adult life.

He seems like a good fellow, even if he did have some old fashioned ideas about birth control, abortion and *ahem* wealth distribution. I know he's done a lot more good in his life than probably any one of us ever will and I'm sure he'll be missed.

im not religious at all but im sorry to see him die as i would anyone. but personally i think the media attention is stupid. his life was no more important than anyone elses. all lives are equal. though its just been on the telly when he threw the doves and they landed on the window sill and wouldnt fly off. thats funny :P

I can see where your coming from in a way and you are totally right to say all lifes are equal and it aways is a shame when someone we know passes on.

But i dont think its a matter of equality its more for what he stood for and what he did with his life for the church and he touched people all over the world so thats what really makes him important.

I have tidied this topic up.

a man is dead here people, and not just an ordinary man, a man of fundamental importance to billions of people.

keep it on topic - or else I will start handing out suspensions.

blooduk - you post in it one more time, and I will take it as a request to be permenantly banned. ;)