Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Number Plate Shape!

ArthurPewty

Hello,

i have a querie involving number plates,

what i am considering is shaping my plated to the actual shape of the characters,

i think as long as there are the legal distances around the letters and numbers, how can there be a problem?

the specifications are below,

tell me what you think!

Also, is it a Crap idea, will it look tacky?

i really dont know!

Any help would be much appreciated......

Number plates fitted after 1 September 2001 must display characters that meet the dimensions shown below.

Characters

Height 79mm

Width (except the figure 1 or letter l) 50mm

Stroke 14mm

Space between characters 11mm

Space between groups 33mm

Top, bottom and side margins (minimum) 11mm

Space between vertical lines 19mm

Problem is the actual characters are not reflective; it’s only the background that is reflective thus showing up the numbers. If I’m reading your post right you want to cut away the background only leaving the digits?

If that’s right I think you will be breaking some road traffic law with that idea and drawing yourself to the attention of the local constabulary

I know on Knightriders old black Yaris he had cut the front numberplate around the letters and it looked quite cool..... dunno how legal it is but he did it....

I dont think it was the same on his rear one though....

This may interest you...

THE LAW

The law states that,

You must not alter, rearrange or misrepresent the letters or numbers

Characters must not be moved from one group to the other (e.g. A242 ABC must not be displayed as A242A BC).

Offences may result in any or all of the following:

A fine of up to £1,000

The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN

The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test

Full details of the requirements are included in The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

THE BRITISH STANDARD

The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics on the number plate. This includes:

Visibility

Strength

Reflectivity

The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: -

The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d)

The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.)

The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean a company whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.)

A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are optional additions.

There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d)

The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.)

The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean a company whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.)

A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are optional additions.

There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

That there is alot of rubbish and you shouldn't get pulled for that but the rest is a must! :thumbsup:

Just wondering, why is it a load of rubbish, Ryan? I'd heard that before or I may have read it on the DVLA site which is where I assume Reece got his info.

Why not just email the DVLA and ask .. doesnt cost anything. New plates will cost and it'd be mega annoying if you get them and cant use them .. sorry was that common sense there ?

Wash my mouth out!

That info was from the DVLA.

My recommendation is to stay legal, I’m sure the owners of the TOC wouldn’t condone breaking the law for the sake of looks.

Thanx Clarky!.......LOL!!

yeah, i know it's common sense but thought i would ask for some 1st hand experience before contacting the DVLA.

I want to re~shape the plate but also leave the legal requirements of reflective material around the characters, there is an old renault 19 or something nearby me in barry with this done and it looks ok, just thought it could make my TS a little more individual :-)

I will rush off to the DVLA site now...........

Thanx Again :thumbsup:

Just wondering, why is it a load of rubbish, Ryan?

Well Al its not a load of rubbish but the local constabulary won't even look twice if you haven't got 'The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier.'

My brother has got a private reg and his just has the characters and a message in small writing below saying THE MACHINE, no name or anything on it and has never been pulled for it, I reckon they have bigger fish to fry! :thumbsup:

I want to re~shape the plate but also leave the legal requirements of reflective material around the characters, there is an old renault 19 or something nearby me in barry with this done and it looks ok, just thought it could make  my TS a little more individual  :-)

surely copying what someone else has done is the exact opposite of individuality?

surely copying what someone else has done is the exact opposite of individuality?

I think to a certain degree we all copy someone elses car!

I mean colours, wheels, body kits etc are all on someone elses cars aren't they?

and as for copying someone elses Renault 19, there is only one around like that, whereas i have seen many cars with rectangular plates.......is it me??????

You can BUY the ones with the white/yellow border round the black letters.

It is legal due to the statement about a 1cm border ..

Personally, I don't like them ..

Just wondering, why is it a load of rubbish, Ryan?

Well Al its not a load of rubbish but the local constabulary won't even look twice if you haven't got 'The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier.'

My brother has got a private reg and his just has the characters and a message in small writing below saying THE MACHINE, no name or anything on it and has never been pulled for it, I reckon they have bigger fish to fry! :thumbsup:

Ah right, I get you. :thumbsup:

A mate of mine has plates with his website at the bottom on his MGF. Look pretty cool.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links