Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Std Air Box Vs. Induction

s0cks

Has anyone got any official results on a standard airbox versus an un-relocated induction kit?

I was looking at the engine today, and for the first time ever I noticed that the standard airbox has a cold air feed pipe going to the nearside headlight. Considering the inducation kit (not relocated) draws its air from the hot, back end of the engine bay, I wouldn't be surprised if it gave little or even less performance. I would think that a standard air box, with holes and a performance filter would actually perform better.

This has probably been covered a thousand times, just after seeing that cold feed I kinda thought, what a waste of money an induction kit would be.

Oh well, doesn't bother me, won't have Yaris much longer. :)

the induction kit in standard position at the back of the engine will like you said, prob lose power if anything or at least without a heatshield and cold air feed.

the one thing it does do though, or at least seems to is improve throttle responce.

the problem with induction kits is the noise, it is psycological (spelling) and makes the car seem faster than it is.

as for the standard airbox, i am thinking of changing the snorkel that goes to the headlight for a silicone pipe that stays the same diameter throughout its length.

the standard snorkel is 65 mm dia at the airbox end, yet only 40 mm dia at the headlight end. thats near as dam it an inch difference.

saw a picture of a car with the silicone pipe on another site a while a go and it looked good, think it was on ozecho.

pete

the induction kit in standard position at the back of the engine will like you said, prob lose power if anything or at least without a heatshield and cold air feed.

the one thing it does do though, or at least seems to is improve throttle responce.

the problem with induction kits is the noise, it is psycological (spelling) and makes the car seem faster than it is.

as for the standard airbox, i am thinking of changing the snorkel that goes to the headlight for a silicone pipe that stays the same diameter throughout its length.

the standard snorkel is 65 mm dia at the airbox end, yet only 40 mm dia at the headlight end. thats near as dam it an inch difference.

saw a picture of a car with the silicone pipe on another site a while a go and it looked good, think it was on ozecho.

pete

standard air box is really crap, a) pea sized pipes going into and out of it B) crappy filteration inside the airbox c) box allready gets warm due being near engine bay d) less surface area than a good (apexi) filter e) again theres like a meshed pipe thing right at the end doesnt let alot of air in.

If you were going to take out the oe filter, i suggest relocating like i did!.

Just look at the test they did on a scion with a good located air filter, gaves some good results as opposed to a header and muffler than did nothing. for bang for your buck

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0406it_ppscion/index.html

cheers.

made interesting reading.

how did you move the Battery and resecure it in the sideways position. :censor:

also what did you use to fasten the apexi to the throttle body.

and any pics would be helpfull.

and sorry for being greedy. lol :P

cheers.

made interesting reading.

how did you move the battery and resecure it in the sideways position.  :censor:

also what did you use to fasten the apexi to the throttle body.

and any pics would be helpfull.

and sorry for being greedy. lol  :P

Ill try and take some pics when ive got time you can buy a another a Battery cage.

I got this idea of kimi, after all the guys at "tte" told her to relcoate it as standard postion was crap.

Kimi used an aftermarket Battery cage tilted side ways, then a 3 inch pripe to apexi sitting right behind right headlamp. I used to some adjustable cable tighter things.

I moved the Battery, its a tight fit but it fits. i got a cold air feed from a scrappy.

I did a 7hour drive 2 week ago, apexi was very slightly warm

sorry by cold air feed, i mean just a pipe. 2 inch long. there sno jsut a stright pipe to throttle body. no turns

Isn't the airfilter in that scion review a closed air box style. So ALL of the air taken in is cold (pipes heat shielded). I would expect to see a horse or two less from the open style apexi.

Isn't the airfilter in that scion review a closed air box style. So ALL of the air taken in is cold (pipes heat shielded). I would expect to see a horse or two less from the open style apexi.

It says a filter in the description, but it doesnt actually show it doh. Im sure there was a pic floating about somewhere!

cant remembe the other link

this is exactly why i havent brought one...

I think it probably increases response but doesnt increase PERFORMANCE so i cant see the point...

Im still keeping an eye out for closed induction kits for the yaris...

found the pics i mentioned on ozecho ( soz for nicking pics)

this replaces the snorkel and when fitted with free flow panel filter should give more airflow to the throttle body.

standard

modded

fitted

cant make my mind up, try this mod or relocate the apexi.

this replaces the snorkel and when fitted with free flow panel filter should give more airflow to the throttle body.

standard

modded

fitted

apexi you know you want, look at all the bends!

I think it probably increases response but doesnt increase PERFORMANCE so i cant see the point...

Have you tried looking at the BMC one's they do them for the 1.0ltr yaris, but it should fit with a bit of modding.

Have you tried looking at the BMC one's they do them for the 1.0ltr yaris, but it should fit with a bit of modding.

link please? :D

Phase 1.0l is the same layout as phase 2 1.3

bmc make excellent filters, really good quality.

they are a cone filter like the apexi but enclosed in carbon fibre ( the cda ), the only problem is that they are oiled filters. which as some on here say cause problems with the maf sensor.

i had one on my clio cup and cannot fault it one bit. the sound was subtle and gave very good gains throughout the rev range.

they are also universal fit.

i would have one tomorrow if i know it would not damage the sensors.

here is a link anyway

BMC CDA

hope this helps :D

Check www.scionlife.com and do a search for "CAI" or "cold air intake" there. Someone did a dyno test of a bunch of the popular brands.

As I remember it, the Injen brand had the best gains, these are for Scions, but they make them for Yaris as well I'm sure and the numbers should be the same, especially if you have the 1NZ-FE.

I think the Injen gave 6-7 bhp or so. The least effective intakes gave about 3 bhp.

standard

modded

fitted

Cool. This pipe is the one i produce and sell at ozecho. My airbox actually has it fitted + now i have made the airbox duel entry.I have also replaced the rubber pipe to the throttle with a custom one..

3inlets.jpg

Fininlet.jpg

Bigbore2.jpg

molded1.jpg

molded2.jpg

molded4.jpg

looks good :thumbsup: , a few improvements since i last saw some pics.

what dia pipes you using on there, where the snorkel was?

:thumbsup: Hi I'm new here and I want to do this modification. But I need info !!!! :ffs: :ffs: :ffs:

Your best off asking on the ozecho site, that's where the mod's been done, none of us Brits have done it! It's the ozzy boys!

I currently have (well at least until this morning) an HKS pancake induction system mounted in the traditional position - almost touching the aircon system at the rear of the engine bay.

It tends to get really hot and since the weather has improved, it has been affecting performance a little.

With this in mind I'm sitting up at Envy Performance at the moment waiting for a new apexi filter to be fitted, but mounted such that it sits straight behind the headlight. This in turns means that the Battery needs to be turned to make room.

Will post pics of the end results along with any difference in performance. If this doesnt dramatically improve things I intend to run in a cold air feed from the balnking plate that sits to the side of the radiator. Hopefully this wont be needed, but its a backup plan.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links