Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Yaris: It Looks Like There Will Be No Irs

scionic

Wooo Hoo!

Lets party like it's 1979!

..or you could just buy a discounted Korean car for $8,000 and get an independent MacPherson strut rear suspension like an actual car from a 1st world country.

I don't understand :censor: Toyota sometimes. Just because it's an economy car doesn't mean it has to tilt and wobble over every swell in the road like a golf cart. It's 2005 Toyota. Even my friend's beat to hell 17 year old Daihatsu has an independent rear suspension for crap's sake.

:ffs: :(

Anyway, it's been confirmed, so anyone thinking of waiting for the new Yaris. Same suspension, same engines. Nothing substantial worth waiting for.

I'm just sad and disappointed. Even VW finally gave up the silly torsion beam for !Removed!'s sake.

Still great cars, just saddled with an antiquated rear suspension thanks to Toyota's bean counting.

That is all.

:huh:

Does anyone know if the new Yaris has a real independent rear suspension, or is it torsion beam once again? :cacker:

No, the new chassis still uses a torsion beam rear suspension.

Does the new one have a 6 speed gear box?

There's no version available with a 6-speed manual transaxle.

The biggest change (to me) is the new 3-cylinder 1KR-FE engine. Other than that most changes seem rather "cosmetic".

Yves.

On the other hand people will just want to waste their money with adding big fat rear swaybars and claiming it handles so much better through those off-camber twisties. ;)

Yves.

Oh well. Don't get a Yaris then scionic :)

To be honest, I don't think much of population would give a damn. The only "performance" model (and I use that word in the loosest sense possible) isn't exactly mind blowing - the T-Sport. If you want a car which is gonna be great on the track/twisties you shouldn't be buying a Yaris imo (by "you" I mean the general population).

I dont care because all that means nothing to me - I am but a humble girly girl who knows not her swizzlkesticks from her googlefloffs..... :lol::lol:

Me want Yaris, Yaris want me - UG!

torsion beam ?!? they just make it more appealing to the chavs that for some bizzar reason try to wind them down to the floor and have it snap a mile down the road. oh well

On the other hand people will just want to waste their money with adding big fat rear swaybars and claiming it handles so much better through those off-camber twisties. ;)

Yves.

I didn't know about the new 3 cylinder, not that I'd want one, but that is interesting.

What's up with the rear anti-sway bar comment? I don't remember mentioning anti-sway bars.

What's up with the rear anti-sway bar comment?  I don't remember mentioning anti-sway bars.

Don't worry, wasn't aimed at you. Just that a certain kind of people would get a car with IRS and then put huge fooly sik hektik swaybars under it and think that it's handling better under the circumstances mentioned.

Yves.

Ah, I see.

An anti-sway bar is almost redundant on a torsion beam anyway.

off topic sorry, but where is the link on the scionlife.com webpages, were it has comparisions on the filters, did a searhc but cant find it anywhere?

did you actually think new Yaris would have multilink? What gave you that idea? it would be more complicated, take up more space and cost more money, no thanks.

New 1.0 unit should be pretty mpg oriented, 1.3 is the same as facelifted model and we dont know much about diesel yet. But both interior and exterior look pretty darn nice and I cant wait to get to them!

Not multilink, but MacPherson struts, or double-wishbone. Any kind of genuine independent suspension in the rear. PLEASE.

The talk of it being complicated and taking up space and being too expensive all sounds like industry excuses.

My friend has (and I am not kidding) a 17 year old POS Daihatsu two door hatch, and even it has independent suspension in the rear.

These are great cars and all and I don't really want to have a bunch of people in my face defending them because I love them too.

It's just that torsion beams sucks. There is no advantage to it, it causes handling and ride compromises that do not need to be made in 2005. The car has torsion beam because Toyota decided to save money and figured most people buying an economy car won't care, and they're right.

Now I'm sure Yves will chime in with a 24 paragraph explaination of how twist beam axles work and tell me I'm an idiot because I don't like my car rocking side to side over every change in the road and lifting it's leg around turns.

A car doesn't have to be a performance car to have IRS, in fact most cars have it. You don't have to drive on a race track to appreciate a compliant, smooth ride and handling/steering that isn't dramatically affected by a change in the road surface.

Yves.

Yves.

Do you think that bolting a rear swaybar on the torsion beam does nothing? Have you had a drive of one with it fitted?. Boy it makes a HUGE difference.To say that it does nothing is plain uneducated.Mygod ,Its one of the best bang for your bucks supension mods. Try it and you will know.

Swaybar3.jpg

I dont care because all that means nothing to me - I am but a humble girly girl who knows not her swizzlkesticks from her googlefloffs.....  :lol:  :lol:

Me want Yaris, Yaris want me - UG!

bless :lol: that cracked me up! :lol:

Ah, I see.

An anti-sway bar is almost redundant on a torsion beam anyway.

jack it up and have a feel of the rear hub with the wheel off. It flexes like buggery.Hence the need for the swaybar.

Do you think that bolting a rear swaybar on the torsion beam does nothing? Have you had a drive of one with it fitted?. Boy it makes a HUGE difference.To say that it does nothing is plain uneducated.Mygod ,Its one of the best bang for your bucks supension mods. Try it and you will know.

Swaybar3.jpg

I agree. I had an aftermarket anti-sway bar on my Bora TDI.

But Yves is the seat of all automotive knowledge, so we must have imagined the handling improvements. :thumbsup: