Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Young Driver Insurance On Yaris 1.0

john23

Insurance seems very expensive over there in the UK :eek:

My 1.0 is insured on my father, and i'm the second driver (3rd party fire&theft) here in Malta. (i'm 18)

Costs Lm160 per year / £250 with 60% no claim bonus. And I was grumbling yesterday about it being very expensive :huh:

We have one of the most expensive insurance premiums in the world! Probably becasue we have squeezed 60million people onto a country the size of a postage stamp. Lots of cars!

Britian is a very expensive place to live.

I think i can help. I was 1st driver fully comp on my 1.0l T3 last year (I was 17). Came to £1600 with passplus. Renewing next month and its gonna be £600 with norwich union on their 9 month fast track no claims thing.

But one of my m8s was in your postion. Hes 18, got pass plus, 1.2l Polo (same insurance group as Yaris). Quoted £1600 off the net with Asda, rang em and told em he had pass plus...... dropped to £850 fully comp with his parents on.

Try em out cos that is an awesome deal.

Try admiral i m 19 own t-sport last year i paid £1000 (10 month bonus accelerator) but live in an ok area plus had pass plus and my girlfriend on my insurance. no mods ,less than 5000 miles

As people have said add a parent as second driver can bring quotes wi sum companies down by about £200. norwich union are quite good if You have pass plus!

That seems very steep as i tried it out as a 17 year old applying for full license with no pass plus etc for a 1.3 CDX and it turned out at 1700 fully comp! and thats on direct lines online quote so you could most probably get it even cheaper! Also the excess was also not bad at all!

Well there's an althernative... Do what I do and offer to pay the highest excess possible. Mine's currently £350, but I don't mind as I will only have to cough up in the event of an accident.

A

My insurance is with diamond and its £523.00 (fully comp). But elephant is the same company and gave me the same quote so id try them.

Ay, im on my mum's insurance. BUT! If i were by meyself (which isn't possible due to others using car as much as I!) then best quote i got was £1900 for a 1.3 SR (group 5) i have no NCB, iv made one claim and iv been driving 2 years. And i live in a sh*thole! Crime here is rife.

My 1.0 is insured on my father, and i'm the second driver (3rd party fire&theft) here in Malta. (i'm 18)

Costs Lm160 per year  / £250  with 60% no claim bonus. And I was grumbling yesterday about it being very expensive  :huh:

I would never consider TPFT insurance on a car which cost me so much! One smash, all gone, no questions! (Unless it wasn't your fault!!)

TPFT insurance is good for one thing... Novas! :yes:

hi, if this helps:

norwich union accept pass plus as one years no claims discount - which equates to nearly 40% off with them! if you buy online you get another 20% off! im look at £650 fully comp on a 1.3 SR with them.

i'm just about to recieve my 1.0l s (my first car - JDM all the way) and my parents have looked at a no. of companies, so far Swinton and TSB have quoted around £1400 TFT with around £100 excess.

I got my 1st year of insurance with Endsleigh on my old Fiesta, then changed to the T3 6 months before it expired. Re-insured the T3 with Tesco, and then changed to the Blue back in March.

At the moment I pay £60 something a month for the Blue, 1.3 and I'm 20..21 in December. Works out to approx £750 a year I think..

am not at home at the mo so cant remember the exact figures.

Blue

It's called 'Fronting'

If, for example, you are on your parent's insurance but YOU are the main driver of the car, and the parents hardly ever drive it and you have an accident, your insurance company can (quite rightly) refuse to pay out!

My mother's worked in insurance for 20 odd years so i've picked a few things up along the way...

I currently pay £836 per annum on my 1.3 and i'm on my own insurance for the 1st time this year, thus have 0 no claims bonus, but have had my licence 5 years!  but i have a Manchester M29 postcode so that doesn't help matters any, even though its not a rough area...  :wacko:

I suppose I can see why the insurance companies don't like it... Out of interest though, assuming the parent and child live at the same address and the car is only used for SDP (ie- no commuting/business use) how could they ever prove who uses the car most often? (short of doing a stakeout :P )

My mate can't insure the car in his parents' name anyway cos he doesn't live with them anymore - and I expect the car would be kept at his address rather than his mum's address.

Ryan: That's a great idea about adding mum/dad on. One of my friends at work saved 20% by doing that! I guess they think the other named drivers will sit in the car and nag or something and so reduce the risk of a crash :)

Thanks very much for all your replies - I'll pass the advice on :thumbsup:

I suppose I can see why the insurance companies don't like it... Out of interest though, assuming the parent and child live at the same address and the car is only used for SDP (ie- no commuting/business use) how could they ever prove who uses the car most often? (short of doing a stakeout  :P )

My mate can't insure the car in his parents' name anyway cos he doesn't live with them anymore - and I expect the car would be kept at his address rather than his mum's address.

Ryan: That's a great idea about adding mum/dad on.  One of my friends at work saved 20% by doing that!  I guess they think the other named drivers will sit in the car and nag or something and so reduce the risk of a crash :)

Thanks very much for all your replies - I'll pass the advice on  :thumbsup:

Thats the thing, they can't without asking people you work with or investigating you, which would just take too much time! I think its more if someone happens to be fronting and says "yeah i use the car all the time" when they aren't on the policy as the main user!

I know it sounds odd but some people are just plain stupid! :thumbsup:

But that's the situation anyway... the likelyhood of getting caught fronting, however is a different matter ;)

If insurance isn't cheaper when on your parents plan there I would be  :censor: amazed because that's how it is everywhere else.

Its called ‘Insurance Fronting’ and all insurance companies are wising up to it, if there is a doubt of a fraudulent claim you may be left high and dry and facing a bill of £10,000’s depending on what sort of accident you may be involved in.

Insurance sucks basically!

21, 1yr No claims, live in a tiny village, no crime rate, etc.

£780 FC!

Still, at least the bike is quite cheap for my age too.....

Good luck!

My insurance is with diamond and its £523.00 (fully comp). But elephant is the same company and gave me the same quote so id try them.

thats a very good quote, how old are you if u dont mind me asking?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links