Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Window Tints

kanarnthan

I would like to tint my windows. Was thinking limo tint for the back windows and and lighter ones for the front.

Then i came accross this....

http://www.4youngdrivers.co.uk/pages/infor...dow-tinting.asp

So whats actually the rule on tinting. Cos if this is true then tinting the back windows but leaving fronts as they r will just look stupid.

HELP!!! :ffs:

Basically thats the law mate. You can go as dark as you want on the rear windows but the front 2 have got to be clear mate. In some MOT testing centers they will shine a light through the windows to see if there is enough light being emitted through. If not then it's a failure :crybaby:

In japan thats what they do out there they only have the rear window and the quarter windows done as well leaving the 2 fronts clear.

gallery_177_74_1114542793.jpg

jerry!!

My rear 3 windows are fully tinted, and the front two are lighter, but still very noticable tinting. Passed M.O.T. without any mention.

It's all depending on you mot testing centre at the end of the day mate. But sooner or later there will be zone tints on the front windows. And when that day comes along a lot of people are going to be in the :censor:

jerry!!

As it stands, you CANNOT fail you mot becuase of tints, if they do they are taking you for a ride as it is NOT in the MOT requirements...

however, driving around with front tints will attract the plod and they may give you a fine, or get you to take them off, on rare occasions impound your car (depends on how much of a bad day hes having)

Matt

Well maybe up in Yorkshire mate but down in Bedfordshire they will fail you on window tints. As some of my mate's have failed due to window tints and had to remove them.

jerry!!

Well maybe up in Yorkshire mate but down in Bedfordshire they will fail you on window tints. As some of my mate's have failed due to window tints and had to remove them.

jerry!!

was this at the same testing station <_<

No it wasn't. But different garage's will let things slip and others will pick up on things if you know what i mean. I've got a friend who is in the garage business who claims that Mot guide lines are always changing and for the MOT centres they have all got a guild line to follow. Some do some dont.

I suppose at the end of the day you have just got to be lucky where you take your car and that they ain't to strict ;)

jerry!!

Most cars have privacy glass now anyway like higher spec cars and it doesn't look bad.

The IS200, big people carriers all have tints (some very heavy) on the back and I think it looks fine.

just come off the phone from Pentagon and they have quoted me £175 +VAT which i didnt think was that bad

i have seen a new car i am thinking about buying, a ford fiesta popular plus 1.1 looks quite beasty to me. :cacker:

i personally have the light available tints in the front,and medium in back 3.

a) i have drove past poilce and had no worries in the north east, cumbria and south east, though touch i hope i dont jinx my self!

B) my mate is a police man, he says they wont stop as for 1) its very light in front and 2) it doesnt look "t.watty" and doesnt look odd with just 3 tints in back - i personally think it looks crap with jsut 3 tints.

heres a pic, bear in mind form an angle it looks a tiny bit darker

side7ec.th.jpg

I got my windows tinted on the yaris there last week. Cost me £100 for the 5 windows... the same guy done my clio in "light smoke" film so i just asked him for the same on the yaris. He then told me that there was a new "light smoke" film which was introduced because of the new MOT laws, and the new stuff is supposedly legal.

The old light smoke (which i got on the clio) is now known as medium smoke... I went for it again cos the new light smoke is hardly noticeable and i have 4 years before i have to worry about MOTing the car!

got mine done for 160 all 5, light smoke, touch wood havnt had any issues with police, passed MOT fine aswell, they dont check

I work at the Honda import centre and we have tinted some cars to sell them as limited edition!- brand new. They have tint the front windows to do them up! You can tell they are tinted. I also had my old Pug tinted and they were quite dark on the front- had it MOTed also didnt have any problems!.

What I would do is speak to your tinting company and ask them the question- also ask if you can get a refund if the police pull you and ask you to remove it! (will they pick up the cost?????).

Hope this help

Rob

I work at the Honda import centre and we have tinted some cars to sell them as limited edition!- brand new. They have tint the front windows to do them up! You can tell they are tinted. I also had my old Pug tinted and they were quite dark on the front- had it MOTed also didnt have any problems!.

What I would do is speak to your tinting company and ask them the question- also ask if you can get a refund if the police pull you and ask you to remove it! (will they pick up the cost?????).

Hope this help

Rob

i very much dout the tinting company will do that. why will just say that you are having them fitted at ur own risk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links