Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bp Ultimate...

keeperofthegate

I filled up with BP ultimate diesel the other day... I wasn't really expecting much of a difference to be honest, I just wanted to satisfy my curiosity really.

First impressions, the engine is a lot quieter than normal (not that it's very loud anyway!) and the accelerator is more responsive... dare I say it, it's almost (ALMOST!) like driving a petrol car!! :o :D I was quite surprised as I read that you will usually see a difference after a few uses. I have yet to see if MPG has improved...

Have any of you D-4D owners tried ultimate diesel?

No... I'm too much of a cheapskate I'm afraid... Tesco Ultra Low Sulphur for me - don't want my particuates injuring the naysayers :P

A

No... I'm too much of a cheapskate I'm afraid... Tesco Ultra Low Sulphur for me - don't want my particuates injuring the naysayers :P

A

LOL! Fair doos :lol:

its all in ur head mate, just another ploy to get more money off us again me thinks.

Slightly off topic but i've been filling my 1.3 petrol with BP Ultimate unleaded for the past month and MPG has increased and engine does feel more responsive.

Yarisldc

its all in ur head mate, just another ploy to get more money off us again me thinks.

Nah, there's definitely a difference there! I would be sticking to Texaco diesel if there wasn't.

Its a PLACEBO! :P

I have never been convinced about BP Ultimate and I probably never will be! Its all sugar-coated pills to me!

Not this topic again.

Do a search. There was a MAHOOSIVE post about this. I think the outcome was that a lot of people "thought" it felt better, but the facts (scientific explanations/results) showed that it made absolutely no difference. Although it was regarding petrol and not deisel, but I'm sure it's the same principle.

As the Cranberries say: "It's in your heeeaaaddd, it's in your heeeaaadd..."

That's why they are making £1.3 million an hour profit!

£26 billion profit last year!!

Thats your money :yes:

That's why they are making £1.3 million an hour profit!

£26 billion profit last year!!

Thats your money :yes:

Yeah I was mightly miffed when I read that and they still charge silly amounts for us to fill our tanks.....

Once again the fat cat bosses sit on their fat cat bums mwah ha haa-ing as us poor stupid common folk..... :rolleyes:

Unlike higher than necessary octane in petrol, higher cetane actually DOES make a difference in how a diesel runs. Higher cetane fuel ignites more readily and quickly so a diesel will run quieter and a bit smoother on the higher cetane stuff. I can't say if it really makes measurably more power though, possibly by a tiny amount but nothing drastic.

Run some 60 cetane biodiesel through your D4D and it will purr like a kitten, seriously. The better fuels, especially biodiesel, also have higher lubricity which is excellent for the fuel system. Even using a biodiesel fuel additive helps.

It all makes perfect sense if you think about it, that fuel more easily combustible would run better, especially in a compression ignition engine....and that fuel more resistant to ignition (higher octane) would make no difference in an engine which cannot adjust ignition timing to take advantage of it.

Yeah, I guess it can be perceived as a placebo but I definitely noticed a difference and I just wanted to make judgment for myself really :). I probably won't be using it all the time.

Yeah, I guess it can be perceived as a placebo but I definitely noticed a difference and I just wanted to make judgment for myself really :).  I probably won't be using it all the time.

You didn't imagine it, the engine will run a smoother with higher cetane and the throttle will be slightly more responsive because the fuel ignites more readily and burns faster. Diesel combustion is slow to begin with, so when you help it along you WILL notice that.

It just won't give you a big perfomance increase. Higher cetane isn't needed to for the engine to run well, but lubricity is important for the life of your fuel pump. If you're uncertain about the quality of the fuel you're running it's wise to add a trusted lubricity additive like Standadyne.

I always tried to run minimum 50 cetane in my VW TDI, its alot easier to find there than here, but it's not necessary. Like I said though, the car will run smoother on it and it's a very nice treat for your machine in colder weather. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I guess it can be perceived as a placebo but I definitely noticed a difference and I just wanted to make judgment for myself really :).  I probably won't be using it all the time.

You didn't imagine it, the engine will run a smoother with higher cetane and the throttle will be slightly more responsive because the fuel ignites more readily and burns faster. Diesel combustion is slow to begin with, so when you help it along you WILL notice that.

It just won't give you a big perfomance increase. Higher cetane isn't needed to for the engine to run well, but lubricity is important for the life of your fuel pump. If you're uncertain about the quality of the fuel you're running it's wise to add a trusted lubricity additive like Standadyne.

I always tried to run minimum 50 cetane in my VW TDI, its alot easier to find there than here, but it's not necessary. Like I said though, the car will run smoother on it and it's a very nice treat for your machine in colder weather. :thumbsup:

I knew I wasn't going completely mad... cheers scionic! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links