Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie......well Sort Of!

sarah_j

Hi all.

Im new to this site, just joined up on behalf of my girlfriend. she doesn't have the internet at work so i thought i would sign her up!

She is currently looking at buying a yaris for her first car and just wanted to ask a few questions and thought you guys might be able to help!

If you lot are anything like the lot over on the LOC (i currently have a lexus IS200) then im sure we will get on great :group-cuddles:

Anyway, just wanted to know what to look out for when buying a yaris?

Any common problems that can arrise with them?

and anything else i should know?

She has found a Yaris that she might buy but doesn't have power stearing!!! Has anyone retro fitted it or had this done by the dealer?

Thanks all for your help,

Jason/Sarah :thumbsup:

Hey and welcome to the club

great choice in first car im sure she will love it, which yaris is she after?? Not to sure on the powerstearing its do able yes but couldnt give u a price, i know i had mine replaced in my old yaris for around £700 but best option would be to talk to a dealer.

As for buying nothing i can really think of off the top of my head, apart from the genearl car checks which you would apply to buying any car e.g care gone into car, service history, no previous acidents etc, then just general checks i guess no rust, dents scratches etc etc

best of luck tho and keep us informed

:thumbsup:

Thanks.

She is looking at buying a 1.2/1.3 5 door yaris from someone we know. just want to make sure that she doesn't get skanked, but im sure its ok.

It is 2 years old with about 15k on the clock and i know it has been looked after, but it doesn't have power stearing and i know that bothers her. She is picking it up for about £3000 if we decide to buy it from them.

Jason :P

sounds good, altho im sure they dont do a 1.2 just 1 ltr, 1.3 and 1.5, secondly for that price im sure you would be able to find a yaris with PAS but doubt you would have suck good milage and would no doubt be an older car

sounds good, altho im sure they dont do a 1.2 just 1 ltr, 1.3 and 1.5, secondly for that price im sure you would be able to find a yaris with PAS but doubt you would have suck good milage and would no doubt be an older car

I guess its a 1.3 then :P wasn't too sure from memory. I know she wants a T-sport, i looked at then before i ended up buying the Lexus but i know she wont be able to afford the insurance and only wants a small engine to begin with!

Although she wants me to put her on my insurance :eek: umm...

Hiya :)

Some people on here don't have PAS, and they get along fine without it. There is another post down the page slightly asking about fitting PAS to a Yaris (incase you havent seen it already).

15K is a good mileage for a 2 year old car, and if you know the seller then that's got to be a good thing :)

Good Luck

Blue

Hi Sarah, welcome to TOC!

Yaris are good strong sturdy little cars - she cant do wrong buying one! Although we are a little biased on there 'ere forums!

The 1.3 engine is punchy and a good little drive - I'm on my 2nd Yaris now and planning to buy a 3rd as well when the Mark 2 comes out!

I love my Yarii! I'm sure she will too! :thumbsup:

yea the t sports are top yari, i love mine :D but i wouldnt recomend jumping in at the deep end as such, work your way up, 1.3 is nice and nippy and not all that slower than the t sport, will be a good first car

Let us know if u sort out fitting PAS, im sure a few may be interested as blue pointed out some1 asked about it the other day

ill have my TS for sale soon :D

and hello!

Hi.. and welcome to TOC.

If the car doesn't come standard with power steering, then it doesn't need power steering.. she will be fine with it :)

Great little cars and very safe.. take a look at the posts about Knightrider, that should proove how safe they are.. Lee wouldn't be here today if he wasn't in a yaris.

Only thing i can think of that is a problem (not a reall problem though) is the squeaks here n there from the interior.. but all in all they are very well built little cars.. she will love it :)

As said, the 1.3's a brilliant engine.... once driven properly it gives t-sports a run for their money (when driven improperly!)

As said, the 1.3's a brilliant engine.... once driven properly it gives t-sports a run for their money (when driven improperly!)

Albeit about three seconds slower to 62mph than a TS! :P

Don't get me wrong though, got a 1.3 myself and loosening up nicely after putting a few miles on her and quick enough for some fun driving on Welsh mountain roads recently. :thumbsup:

As for the power steering, I thought all Yarii have had PAS as standard for the last couple of years? They certainly do now. Perhaps you could tell us which model and reg it is. Seems a good price though if it's clean. Sarah should give it a test drive as it's the only way to really see how she feels about it. :yes:

3 seconds slower by the book.... in real terms the gearing of the 1.3 allows it to reach 60mph in 2 gears and if you shift quick enough, that cuts the time quite a lot. Obviously, an equal driver in both is going to make the TS quicker, but the 1.3 can fly when needed!

Also, it has great in-gear performance, making it very flexible, surprising and fun!

I shall post some times to give an idea....

30mph-50mph in 2nd = 3.8sec

30mph-50mph in 3rd = 5.5sec

30mph-50mph in 4th = 9.5sec

Not bad for a 1.3.... once the engine gets spinning it just revs freely and sweetly all the way to the red line! Lovely motor!

You may have guessed that i like it!

Not bad for a 1.3.... once the engine gets spinning it just revs freely and sweetly all the way to the red line! Lovely motor!

You may have guessed that i like it!

Never have guessed! :P

I must admit 2nd gear is much better than on the 1litre. Seemed to take ages before anything happened. Loved my 1L 'Baby' but hated approaching a roundabout in her! :rolleyes:

3 seconds slower by the book.... in real terms the gearing of the 1.3 allows it to reach 60mph in 2 gears and if you shift quick enough, that cuts the time quite a lot. Obviously, an equal driver in both is going to make the TS quicker, but the 1.3 can fly when needed!

Also, it has great in-gear performance, making it very flexible, surprising and fun!

Yaris 1.3 transmission gearing:

1st: 3.545

2nd: 1.904

3rd: 1.31

4th: 1.031

5th: 0.864

FINAL DRIVE: 3.722

Yaris 1.5 T sport transmission gearing:

1st: 3.166

2nd: 1.904

3rd: 1.392

4th: 1.031

5th: 0.815

FINAL DRIVE: 4.312

In other words, Although the 1.3 has slightly shorter 1st and 5th gear ratios, it doesn't actually have any gearing advantage over the TS when you factor in the final drive.

Whilst on the Toyota site I also learned that the 1.3 puts out more CO2 emissions than the 1.4 D4D DIESEL as well. :lol:

The 1.3 does have a small gearing advantage in that the TS needs to change to 3rd before 60mph... the 1.3 doesn't. That's a fact all owners will tell you. But yes, the TS is obviously quicker and i wasn't trying to say the 1.3 can match it... just saying that until somebody can affprd the TS then the 1.3 is a perfectly adequate engine with great performance for it's size.

And yes, the 1.3 does put out more C02 emmissions... but does that matter to me?? Not one tiny bit. The C02 emmissions stuff is all bo**ocks. At this point in time, the C02 put out by cars is 0.05% of the worlds output... this amount is consumed by the vegetation all around us. It's deforestation that's destroying our planet.... not cars. I suppose it's just unfortunate that all the things we need to survive in our modern world... oil, trees, etc are situated in developing countries... where their sale is a neccessity for their economy.

Diesel fumes, whilst yes, conatining less C02 contain a lot of particle emissions (like iv explained before) which cannot be consumed by the worlds eco-system.

But, i am NOT having another debate! This is common law fact, no if's or but's around it.... it's fact.

No fighting boys else I'll put you both in the corner with a dunce cap on your heads!

The 1.3 engine is a fine engine, its not as powerful as the T-Sport but I agree with Graham - its berluddy fast - no way sluggish to taking its time - it's Ronseal - does exactly what it says on the tin! :thumbsup:

I love my 1.3 too! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

No fighting boys else I'll put you both in the corner with a dunce cap on your heads!

Yes ma'am.

:group-cuddles: