Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hiace Engine Swap

nessy

Hi,

Doeas anyone know of a larger engine that I could use to replace the 12R currently fitted to my 1980 hiace motorhome?

Hi,

Doeas anyone know of a larger engine that I could use to replace the 12R currently fitted to my 1980 hiace motorhome?

Hi funny you should ask this as I have a 1976 hiace 12r and have been looking into increasing the engine size, all the wrecking yards I have contacted tell me there is no easily compatable change over engine. I understand that the 1985 hiace has disc brakes and these would adapt to the 1980 model. Also in Australia I fitted ford Falcon 14" wheels to mine they fitted straight on no mods needed, I think that something like a mark 4 ford zephyr or similar may fit.

My motorhome originally came from the UK and was transported to Australia in 1988, it has a single bed over the cab and the table behind the cab converts to a double bed and then there is a single bed at the rear, the entrance door is towards the rear on the LHside, I would be interested to know if this sounds like yours. If I find more about the motor I will let you know.

Thanks for the response - I was starting to think I was pretty much alone with this type of van! The layout of yours does sound very similar - I guess you too suffer from poor braking and lack of power when climbing hills!. I'm not sure which company performed the original conversion, the only markings are "Hilton". I'll forward on some pictures shortly.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the response - I was starting to think I was pretty much alone with this type of van!  The layout of yours does sound very similar - I guess you too suffer from poor braking and lack of power when climbing hills!.  I'm not sure which company performed the original conversion, the only markings are "Hilton".  I'll forward on some pictures shortly.

I have just purchased a 1983 Toyota pop top van with body problems it appears that the whole front suspension will change over to my 1976 Highace this gives me disc brakes also the steering colum will need to chage over as the brake booster is mounted on this and the motor and gearbox looks as if it will change over with a minimum of reworking it is an 18r motor. I may need to alter the tail shaft length I am not sure until I fit it and the front engine mounts may require a little reworking. Hope this may help you out. Regards Peter

nessy Posted May 17 2005, 08:36 PM

I'm not sure which company performed the original conversion, the only markings are "Hilton". I'll forward on some pictures shortly.

Don't know if this is a 'long shot' but HILTON in the 1980's and 1990's were a Big dealership name across Britain for Toyota vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

I too suffer from poor braking and overheating when climbing up hills - and so does my newlander campervan. Any engine solutions out there? And of course the proverbial spare part problem.

• 5 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi all

Intesting post this one.

So ..........................................

Did anyone have any success with the engine swap?

Geoff

• 2 months later...

well,this is one topic I want to see the final results,I have a 1972 RT 81 powered by a 12R engine,I would like to swap the engine,thats if there is a compatible one.

• 4 months later...

You should go to some local auto parts shops near you... and ask and search online on like some site like eBay they might have someone with that on there... you never know

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of older hi aces, does anyone have a spare right side front parking light lens (26-8)? It's for a '77 model. Sorry it's a little off topic it's just I'm in need of one of those and there doesn't seem to be one in my country anywhere according to the wreckers and other companies I've contacted.

My hi ace camper had an 18R engine which was recently replaced by a 16R, although that's a little different to changing from a 12R to bigger.

• 7 months later...

hi i am having same problem . bought a 1978 camper and the engine needs a rebuild . so looking for another motor. or can i get shells rings etc in the uk

• 1 year later...

Hi I have a1994 hiace campervan 2.8L could anyone tell me if a hilux 30L td engine would fit thanks

• 5 months later...

V8 Detroit Disel Motor with a 6 speed Spicer Gearbox, it is better you use the 18R which is a good replacement 12R.

• 6 years later...

Hi,

Anyone know if a later gearbox will fit on a 12r engine?

Asking as my gearbox is ruined and am wondering about replacements/upgrades to the drivetrain.

• 4 months later...

Interesting topic, does anyone know the correct size of the Hiace MK1 1976 Battery, need to replace the one on which is a Yuasa YBX3450 (3000)..Need to try and start the car as it has been set for too long,the Battery looks small but the guy I bought off said it's the correct one as higher voltage one will burn the stater motor? Any clues please, its a campervan but everything inside was removed cooker beds etc

• 5 months later...

any one have a 1976 hiace engine lying about. or where i could get it rebuilt