Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 1.6 Engine Hum

OldSkoO1

I maybe a little parnoid but driving without music recently has bought the engine hum to my attention and wondered if you guys could help me.

When putting my foot down or reaching around 4krpm and above the engine pitch changes into a buzz-e type humming. Its like a very basic form of engine un-silencing. Im not sure what to make of this really and wondered if its a characteristic of the engine.

If its a known problem what do i say or how do i describe it to my garage without them thinking im paranoid / mad.

Thanks in advance! :unsure:

I maybe a little parnoid but driving without music recently has bought the engine hum to my attention and wondered if you guys could help me.

When putting my foot down or reaching around 4krpm and above the engine pitch changes into a buzz-e type humming. Its like a very basic form of engine un-silencing. Im not sure what to make of this really and wondered if its a characteristic of the engine.

If its a known problem what do i say or how do i describe it to my garage without them thinking im paranoid / mad.

Thanks in advance!   :unsure:

Why do you need to describe it???

Just take somebody from the garage out in it and they will hear it themselves......

I had this same problem but at around 2k rpms. the plastic cover over the valves where you put oil in was vibrating against the motor and causing the hum but once it was replaced the hum stopped. the part isnt expensive if you have to buy it but I replaced it under warranty and paid nothing. get them to check that part.

I had this same problem but at around 2k rpms. the plastic cover over the valves where you put oil in was vibrating against the motor and causing the hum but once it was replaced the hum stopped. the part isnt expensive if you have to buy it but I replaced it under warranty and paid nothing. get them to check that part.

........same(around 3500 rpm).............replaced under warranty....... :)

Mine did that as well, the tone was different between 3500~4250 RPM, it sounds stressed not as smooth as it should, but it's ok either side of it otherwise.

When Toyota did find the fault, they told me it was a cracked manifold head, which was easy to replace, but saying that, i think it's returned :censor:

Am i right in thinking the 1.6 does have a distinct kind of tone throughout the RPM range anyway? Its like a dull sharpish grown. Much different from the tsport and rav 4 ive driven.

I shall be taking it in soon tho :)

I too noticed the 1.6 is a bit diesel-ish, but not above 4000 rpm when VVt kicks in...

• 2 weeks later...

I think the guys at toyota have found the problem. Being the mainfold unit they said. Which is what man-bing described.

They are ordering the part in next week. On a seperate note do any of you with the 1.6 2002 model hear slight grinding when using your air con ? :blink:

i am a corolla 1.6 vvt-i(2002) owner too :)

I notice that does a noise, but I think that be a vibration in the tablier. The noise appears above of the 4500 rpm . Is this the Hum that you describe?

On a seperate note do any of you with the 1.6 2002 model hear slight grinding when using your air con ?  :blink:

No.

• 3 years later...
I think the guys at toyota have found the problem. Being the mainfold unit they said. Which is what man-bing described.

They are ordering the part in next week. On a seperate note do any of you with the 1.6 2002 model hear slight grinding when using your air con ? :blink:

Hi there, I have just purchased a 2006 1.6 sr corolla last week & am experiencing that same humming noise from the engine at 3500 - 4000 revs. Did the repair or replaced inlet manifold solve the problem as you never told the result. I know that you have moved onto an Auris, so would you recommend one?

My car is going in Monday where I have a 30 day exchange still in place if the problem isn't resolved.