Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Laptop Mounting In A Cynos/paseo......

Jamesb4uk

Ok, i'm trying to figure out how to mount my laptop in my Cynos.

basically it needs to be secure & stable but accessable so i can remove the laptop.

I'm thinking of using the space on the passenger side, that way i can hook up my Road Angel & use it for Sat nav. & also link it to my Head unit for MP3 playback.

i can always hide it under my passengers seat & have a touch screen on the dash somewhere but i'm looking for peoples opinions....

J

True :P but i've got a spare laptop & rather forking out on a dedicated MP3 player etc i can plug the laptop in & have 60GB worth of MP3's, movies, games & Sat Nav in one easy place.

& still be able to use the laptop outside the car.

J

oh right, s'quite a good idea actually. and how can you get sat nav on the laptop ?!

I've got a Series 2 Road Angel GPS speed trap detector which outputs GPS via A serial cable.

combined with Autoroute 2005 = Sat Nav B)

J

Sounds good to me, im thinking of doin the same kind of thing in mine. I was thinking of making a kindof custom shelf to sit into the glovebox so it would just be a nice flat surface, then put velcro on that and the laptop and bobs your uncle.

Rich

Well you could build a custom PC into a glove box, its been done before....

might measure the glove box actually, the IBM t23 i'm using is fairly small..

J

jus get a 7" touchscreen,its not that hard to fit a pc into a car,i dont no if the paseo/cynos is double din but if it is a 7" screen is a perfect fit,look at my domain ,i havnt even moulded or fibreglassed it in,jus a small mount

any more info m8 an jus add me msn on kingacx@hotmail.com or carryin on in ere

sorted then mate,only thing is ,you have to buy a 7" touch screen then open it up,an spin the screen around in the casing (if you dash is like mine) as there isnt enough space for the casin to sit the right way round as the bottom of it is fatter (probebly dnt make sense to you but still...)

ill give you aload of sites an links that will help you mate,an show you the cheapist ive found.....

www.mp3incar.org

www.mediaengine.org

http://www.linitx.co.uk/

http://linitx.com/index.php?cPath=24_94_95

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=1...products_id=207

www.ebay.co.uk

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...5202130883&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

Cant think of much ive missed,an for the case i jus chopped up to old side pannels of an old case an made the rest out of thin mdf,then u can cut it for the i/o pannal etc,plus i needed it to fit under my seat. And if you make your own you can mount the harddrive on the inside roof of your case if you want on sum large rubber washers,helps with shock.

u have actually got me thinking about this recently captain... how much did it cost u in total?

Rich.

not as much as you may think,cos all the headunit i liked an did "almost" all i wanted were around the 400-600 retail (about 350 on eBay mind) ,but back then when i did mine (only about 6-7months ago) it cost abit more ,you know what its like with computer ****,one day its 312535131531quid next its 50p lol,i got my motherboard when it was fresh out,so now thats about 10-20quid cheaper,my powersupply was one of the first into the uk ...so now thats about 10-20quid cheaper an same with my monitor,my touch screen was about 200 but now there only about 140-170. the thing is you have to remember you need at least a 4ch amp (as you cant power Speakers frm a pc obviously) an a fair bit of cabling ,3rca cables,2 power cable kits. an i uprated the Battery incase (not really needed tbh tho but still..)

ill list all the stuff ive got an give you a retail...then a cheap place option (ie..ebay :))

PC-

Via Nemiah M10000 Mother board -

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=1...77bb06722ea0740

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

Opus 90w Incar PSU (with remote trigger ,needed for amp power on)

http://linitx.com/index.php?cPath=24_94_95

3.5" 80GB Maxtor 9 Diamon plus 9 8mb cache 7200rpm(shock protection)

http://search.ebay.co.uk/maxtor-80gb_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40 <wow there cheap now..grr

2x Wireless lan usb2 54mps <!Removed!,wouldnt recommend that idea! 65quidish

1x 512 USB2 Memory stick <much easier an quicker! 40ish

7" Lilliput TouchScreen <easist to modify (just undo 4 screws on the back remove the tft,cut an extend 5small wires inside,but back to gether with the screen upsdide down) about 200ish on eBay

JBL 755.6 -Good 6ch amp,if you shop around on eBay there only about 120ish,dnt go motorworld as they want about 400quid for it lol

Cabling - ebay- 4awg for amp,8awg for pc (bit of overkill ,pc only needs to be 16awg,but ahhh well)

80-85amph Battery 40quid from DMA or what evers near you

Media engine 2.3 - best program i found nice an simply,and looks wicked,check out mediaengine.org ,download it an run it on your pc (run it in about 800x600 so it looks nice an how it will in your car :) (ps ots free :D)

USB BU301 GPS module,good little thing,only 30quid on ebay then you get GPS an camera locations etc on you pc,havnt got round to gettin this yet (just lazy tbh)

Windows XP....we all know where thats from right?

cant think of much else

ooh and www.mediacar.org good site...but full of babble abit too many ppl "going" to sort our a car pc,jus read some of it for ideas,havnt been back on it since i got my pc in lol

cant think of anything else now

JUS DO IT! lol you wont look back

Thanks for that mate - i was going to build a Micro ATX sized PC in the glove box, but as i've got the laptop i couldnt be bothered..

cant remember the site i was looking at now - they were building Micro PC's (Smaller than the Mini MAC) in to wierd and wonderful designs...

think one of them built it into a model Aircraft carrier... :lol:

i'll have a nose around, might make a tray & hide it under the seat & figure a way of running power cables in the car..

Thanks

J

hmm, i might do a laptop thing as well, or incar pc....so i can use it for satnav and engine / ecu diagnostics & tuning

yer,its np,ive got my case under my seat,its about 15-20 x 25-30cm in size tiny really,smaller than your average cd changer (which is apparently quite a good thing to stick your pc in,i know a few pcs built into a stripped out knackerd cd changer)

as for the laptop,the power cable shouldnt be too hard to do,i see a few of em on eBay an stuff,but id say its abit of waste of a laptop really unless you fancy aving it with you all the time :S

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after many hours of looking around, i FINALLY found the website that deals purly in Mini ITX sized kit..

clicky

i'm now interested in one of these if i can find a uk supplier

Front_sml250.jpg

Specs

-Screen Size: Diagonal 7" (16:9)

-Panasonic LCD Panel

-Native Resolution 800x480

-Supported Resolution:

640x480~1280x768

-Dot Resolution:

2400 x 480 = 1,152,000 (dots)

-Brightness: 400 cd/m²

-VGA Input (1x 15 pin D-SUB)

-2 Video Inputs (2x RCA), (NTSC/PAL)

-Touch Screen (USB)

-Clock

-TV Tuner

-Power Input: 12V

-Consumption: 8-12W

Features

- Fully Motorized with Different angle positions

- Comes with a remote control

- 1 Din; will fit in most cars and trucks

Package Contents

- In-dash Monitor

- Remote Control

-Stylus

- Manual

- Cables (VGA, Touch Screen, Video and Power)

Sizes

-In-dash LCD Monitor: Length 7.5" (190mm) x Width 7" (179mm) x Height 2" (50mm

why not get some industrial strength velcro and then stick it on top of the dash?! ;) :P

could do i suppose, but i'd need a coushioning system to cut out the vibrations...

found a power supply that you can get that will switch off the pc normally when you kill the ignition & swith the pc on after the engine started.... B)

J

could do i suppose, but i'd need a coushioning system to cut out the vibrations...

found a power supply that you can get that will switch off the pc normally when you kill the ignition & swith the pc on after the engine started.... B)

J

Have you? I was looking for something like that when I had my pc in the car. You got a link? how much does it cost?

Rich

i allready posted the psu up there ^ lol Opus.

As for the monitor theres lots of them on eBay for 200ish,fold out touch screen an built in tv,the problem with them is the monitor cable,as im sure youre aware there normaly quite long an solid. SO you need like an extra 4" of space behind the unit when its in so that you can plug a monitor cable into it

lol sorry mate didn't see that one there...

i can get a touch screen for about 160 maybe strip the wire a bit to make it flexable..

im hopeefully doing a test run in my pug 406 soon....

J

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links