Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whirring Noise On 1994 Gt4

Teuch

Hi all,

I have just bought myself a 1994 Jap import GT4 - and am loving it !!

I am totally new to these cars and to turbo's so am hoping it is quite normal but have noticed a sort of whirring noise coming from the engine bay when i press the accellerator. If I take my foot off the noise will continue for about a minute and then stop - untill i press the pedal again.

Sorry for my ignorance but I am just curious as to what it is,( I dont like noises I dont recognise - ever since the big ends went on my MR2 !!)

I would appreciate any help

Thanks

Teuch. :blink:

Hi all,

I have just bought myself a 1994 Jap import GT4 - and am loving it !!

I am totally new to these cars and to turbo's so am hoping it is quite normal but have noticed a sort of whirring noise coming from the engine bay when i press the accellerator. If I take my foot off the noise will continue for about a minute and then stop - untill i press the pedal again.

Sorry for my ignorance but I am just curious as to what it is,( I dont like noises I dont recognise - ever since the big ends went on my MR2 !!)

I would appreciate any help

Thanks

Teuch. :blink:

Welcome to TOC :thumbsup: And the wonderful world of Celica ownership.We`ll try and help, but as you`ll appreciate it`s hard to diagnose purely from a description.

Couple of questions.... Is this noise occuring when stationary or when moving?

Is it a harsh whirring noise? As if something were making contact with something else. :unsure:

Hi,

Sorry I should have given a bit more detail....... :yes:

The noise happens when stationary (and I think when moving to but you cant really hear it over the road noise.) It is not a horrible noise it sounds more like an electric fan or something and seems to be coming from the nearside front below the Battery somewhere.

As I am not too familiar with the engine (still waiting for manual to show where everything is!) I am not too sure what is down there.

Thanx

Teuch

Hi,

Sorry I should have given a bit more detail....... :yes:

The noise happens when stationary (and I think when moving to but you cant really hear it over the road noise.) It is not a horrible noise it sounds more like an electric fan or something and seems to be coming from the nearside front below the battery somewhere.

As I am not too familiar with the engine (still waiting for manual to show where everything is!) I am not too sure what is down there.

Thanx

Teuch

I imagine the 205 is basically the same as the 185 in layout. In that area on a 185 you have the rad cooling fan towards the front obviously. A couple of resistor packs for dim/dip and fuel pump. In front of the rad is the aircon cooling fan. Between the inner and outer wing is the resonator box for the aircleaner.

The only thing i can think of is that you may possibly have an electrical fault that is causing the cooling fan to come on when you use the throttle. :eek: Or an airleak in one of the air feed pipes. Check all the clips are secure and that the hoses are not split or perished.

Hopefully one of the Gen 6 boys will be along in a minute to give their thoughts. But it does seem a bit strange :yes:

only noise i get at times is the air con radiator vibrating, but only happens on tick over,sounds are hard to diagnose without being there, i'd leave it running and when the noise appears touch things and see if you can stop the noise , but watch the pinkies in the rad fan if it kicks in. :eek::thumbsup:

the area you describe is where the turbo sits also the water pump for the chargecooler ????? but could be anything really.

Thanks for all the replys....

I have wandered if it could just be the turbo but as I said earlier this is the 1st one I have ever had and I don't really know what is normal yet :blink:

I was just a bit concerned that the noise should not be there.....

Thanks again

Teuch :thumbsup:

turbo wont make a sound when stationary , as you said previously

• 10 years later...

I am having this same problem...just started. Have had the car a while so I know it's definitely a problem...but no idea what problem

Hi guys,

Need some help. Have owned my celica for four years now and it's been fantastic. However it has now developed a whirring kind of noise when you touch the accelerater. It will last a minute then go off when stationary and when driving it is constantly making the noise. The sound appear to becoming from the Battery side of the engine.

Any helpful be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you

Ben

• 3 months later...

Had this issue on my 1994 st205.

Was the charge cooler pump, sits under the batt area.

GT4Play on line recon these.. Very good. Swapped the unit noise gone...

When standing still press the accelerator if the noise appears then and stops in a minute or so...It's most likely the CC pump

hope that helps..,.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links