Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hilux Towing Capacity

how

I'm thinking of buying a Hilux for towing a horsebox but have read conflicting info as to their ability to tow such a weight. According to Toyota the towing capacity is 2.250Kg (4x4 double cab) but have read that the laden weight of the trailer (approx 2000kg) should be no more than 80% kerb weight of the vehicle. This would make the Hilux unsuitable!

I don't believe this and thought I'd see if anyone out there has any experience of towing trailers with the Hilux. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Howie

Don't take me too seriously as I'm no expert, but I thought Pickups were bad for towing as they had no weight at the back end?

But I believe it is siad that you shouldn't exceed 80% of towing vehicles weight provided the total doesn't become greater than 3.5 tons.

But I've seen many 'Irish plated' pickups pulling the biggest caravans you've ever seen in your life, so it must be "do'able"

I'm thinking of buying a Hilux for towing a horsebox but have read conflicting info as to their ability to tow such a weight.  According to Toyota the towing capacity is 2.250Kg (4x4 double cab) but have read that the laden weight of the trailer (approx 2000kg) should be no more than 80% kerb weight of the vehicle.  This would make the Hilux unsuitable!

I don't believe this and thought I'd see if anyone out there has any experience of towing trailers with the Hilux.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Howie

:thumbsup: I have bought my Hilux surf specifically to tow a horse trailler. I know lots of people who use them for this job without any probs at all! By the time you have loaded up your hilux with all your gear you'll be suprised how much it weighs.

YOUR HORSE mag has done some very good articles on towing legally, why not try looking on their web site, you could try HORSE & RIDER and HORSE too, they all have covered the topic at one time or another. Lots of other people use swb Pajero's and they weigh even less but still do a superb job. Don't be put off by people who have never done it, check out the legality but I am sure you will be fine.

Happy towing!

Stripey cat :D

Don't be put off by people who have never done it, check out the legality but I am sure you will be fine.

Happy towing!

Stripey cat :D

Didn't mean to put anyone off, only to get him to choose wisely, it's just I've seen so many wrecks (being someone who tow's trailers for a living), I didn't want our new friend to be one of those statistics.

Just be carefull is all I'm saying!

The whole "3.5 tonnes" thing is applicable should you be using the vehicle for work OR should you have a post-97 driving licence (but if you have that then you should be towing a trailer no heavier than 750kg and it shouldn't be behind a vehicle of more than 3.5 tonnes gross giving a total of 4.25 tonnes...)

If you are towing the trailed for work and the gross train weight is above 3.5 tonnes then you either have to fit a tacho and abide by EU drivers hours rules or (if you're not venturing outside the UK with this combination) stick to UK drivers hours and keep a log book of when you drive and rest whilst driving with a max gross train weight of over the 3.5 tonnes...phew...

It all becomes extremely complicated but that is based o the information in the DSA book "Driving Goods Vehicles -the official DSA syllabus" and stuff on the DVLA website...

Maybe the best person to ask would be Les (Giddlepin) as he used to work in the transport industry.

Please feel free to correct and omissions or mistakes in what I've said folks..

Cheers

Alan

PS Basically, the 3.5 tonne thing doesn't really apply to caravans or horseboxes if you're using them for leisure, but you should have a pre-97 licence or - if you have a newer licence - take the appropriate additonal driving test...