Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Sound Deadening?

eric530

Someone on here has had extra sound proofing done on there RAV. Just wait a while and see if they post!

It was me.

Dynamat Extreme in all doors, side panels, rear door and floor.

Made quite a difference (came back to a RAV after having a Lexus).

If you are near'ish you are welcome to a ride to compare the sound - makes the doors thunk nicely too !!

(edit - just noticed your location - sorry !! :D )

:help: Is there an alternative to Dynamat does anyone know? It seems like an expensive brand.

And I presume the Rav4 needs quite a bit of the stuff!! :crybaby:

My main concern seems to be road noise especially from the rear. So I will probably start with the rear floor pan, and wheel arches etc. Then move to the doors at a later date.

Anywhere good to get the stuff from too?

Cheers in advance! :thumbsup:

:help: Is there an alternative to Dynamat does anyone know?  It seems like an expensive brand.

And I presume the Rav4 needs quite a bit of the stuff!! :crybaby: 

My main concern seems to be road noise especially from the rear.  So I will probably start with the rear floor pan, and wheel arches etc.  Then move to the doors at a later date.

Anywhere good to get the stuff from too?

Cheers in advance!  :thumbsup:

Also interested I need this information A.S.A.P.

Rav4 the coolest SUV

Thanks AMH

was just worried a lot of the noise was just coming from wind,

I'm kinda interested in doing the same, and ...maybe... also a hood liner kit , but that does seem like a lot of dynamat, and seeing as its around $7 dollars a sq/ft (in the us and in bulk) how much do you think you spent on it all? but in terms of sq/ft and cost?

I might end up going with some cheaper products like fatmat or b-quiet, i figured I dont have that much money, and I think even a thinner cheaper product should be a big improvement over bare metal vibrating.

j/w does dynamat leave a residue when you peel it off? can you peel it off if you need to?

Thanks

Eric

you dont also happen to have any tips in installation do you? removal of all door panels/side panels and carpet?

Went for Dynamat Extreme as it seemed to be the best material performance wise - only wanted to do the job once so did not want to scrimp on the materials.

Used about 8 speaker packs (squares) and three wedge packs (rolls) as there was a shortage round here at the time - did not keep track of costs but would guess at £150 - £200 'ish.

It will NOT peel off once in place - the warning label saying it is sticky is not joking !!

I've done it!

Well, most of it. So far i've done the boot floor and under the rear seats. Also the rear wheel arches. I scrimped a little because didn't want to buy dynamat. But it's made quite a difference. Will probably do the doors soon, and then maybe the roof.

My idea came from an Audio engineer, and it seems to have worked!

Are the doors difficult to do? I suppose that plastic waterproofing has to come off, then be stuck back on. And did you do the rear boot door?

:thumbsup:

Plastic sheet comes off easily - I had to use a hairdrier to soften the mastic holding it on as it was in Feb !! - think you will be fine right now.

Yes I did all doors, arches and floor - bottled out at touching roof lining - as the largest single surface it would offer best proofing opportunity but I chickened out :blink:

I've done it!

Well, most of it.  So far i've done the boot floor and under the rear seats.  Also the rear wheel arches.  I scrimped a little because didn't want to buy dynamat.  But it's made quite a difference.  Will probably do the doors soon, and then maybe the roof.

My idea came from an Audio engineer, and it seems to have worked!

Are the doors difficult to do?  I suppose that plastic waterproofing has to come off, then be stuck back on.  And did you do the rear boot door?

Stuart,

I'm considering soundproofing but didnt want to spend loads etc. What material did you use for yours? Was it expensive? etc etc

Cheers,

Phil

This sounds daft, but I used builders flashing from wickes.

It's like a film top, with a very tacky bitumen base. It can be bought in different size rolls, and does basically the same job. I know a sound engineer that has used the stuff.

I did the whole rear of the car for about £28. Essentially, it may not be as good as dynamat, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper! Beware though, it's VERY sticky!

This sounds daft, but I used builders flashing from wickes.

It's like a film top, with a very tacky bitumen base.  It can be bought in different size rolls, and does basically the same job.  I know a sound engineer that has used the stuff.

I did the whole rear of the car for about £28.  Essentially, it may not be as good as dynamat, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper!  Beware though, it's VERY sticky!

Cheers Stuart for the tip! Was on the point of spending £165inc vat with NoiseKillers for a set of 17 pads for the Rav. Will pay a visit to wickes instead.

Phil :thumbsup:

You know it makes sense!

It does work too! You won't make a massive improvement due to the fact that the tyres are naturally noisy.

But with those prices, you can easily afford to do the most important places twice, like the wheel arches for instance.

Have just done the rear door now too (the boot door). The more I do, the better it's getiing!

sjrainsford, do you have any pictures, I just looked out the wickes catalog did you use the easyseal ? @ £24.99

You know it makes sense!

It does work too!  You won't make a massive improvement due to the fact that the tyres are naturally noisy.

But with those prices, you can easily afford to do the most important places twice, like the wheel arches for instance.

Have just done the rear door now too (the boot door).  The more I do, the better it's getiing!

Stuart,

Just got back from Wickes and can't find anything specifically called "Builders Flashing" - I see some stuff called "Hi-Tack Flashing Strip" which looked very thin and wasn't sure if this is the stuff or not.

Do you have the exact name or product code of what you used?

Cheers,

Phil

Sorry mate, yeah that's the stuff. High tak flashing strip.

As you can see, there are different widths.

How thick did you expect it to be? Dynamat isn't very thick you know. It's all about density, rather than thickness.

Have done the whole car now, the doors were much easier than expected. It doesn't make a massive difference, but it's noticable! Cruising at 70 is much better now. And the stereo has improved, which is what i've done it for mostly. Just waiting for my Alpine head unit with iPod control to come now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links