Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Did Yaris Originate?

Yaris_VVTi

lol this might sound really dumb to some folk, but i was just wondering where the name YARIS came from, what was it derived from, how did it come about?

I'm guessing Em probably knows as she is the TOC Master Of Names! :P

any ideas?

The same places where all other car names come from:

A group of people sitting around a desk thrashing names around then checking that name doesn’t mean anything offensive in another language or is used for other products especially sanitary items.

:thumbsup:

Toyota Europe felt the name "Vitz" wasn't suitable for the mass European market, therefore decided to come up with a trendy, yet contemporary name for the Vitz in mainland Europe.

They chose Yaris, because it sounds like "Paris", which is a trendy yet contemporary city, but Toyota Paris was out of the question, so they stuck a Y instead of the P and it became Yaris!

Thats the story I heard anyway! :lol::thumbsup:

Close. It involved a very expensive marketing agency who had, I think, previously come up with Mondeo.

Talking names I have a very unofficial theory. It goes something like this;

Aygo - 4 letters

Yaris – 5 letters

Avensis – 7 letters

Corolla has 7 letters so I’m guessing the new one will be called…something with 6 letters.

Close. It involved a very expensive marketing agency who had, I think, previously come up with Mondeo.

Talking names I have a very unofficial theory. It goes something like this;

Aygo  - 4 letters

Yaris – 5 letters

Avensis – 7 letters

Corolla has 7 letters so I’m guessing the new one will be called…something with 6 letters.

Lets hope it's called Yaris 1.8 RS TURBO.. not that it matters to me now, my new car is ordered now :D (smug mode enabled) :lol:

Ahh yes I remember, but for the life of me I cant remember their name!

I read it on the net somewhere..... simple maths I cannot do but memorising useless trivia, no problem! :lol::lol:

instead of going DOWN with the numbers of letters, why not increase?

"Yafghanistan" would be a big hit the market! LOL!

aparently the name 'VITZ' means 'JOKE' in one of the european languages, cant remember which, so they called it Yaris instead. So I heard anyway? maybe the whole thing was a JOKE, i dont know lol

and also i ave a feeling VITZ is german for Joke too! :P

The word "Yaris" is that if you say it with different European language pronounciations then it still sounds almost the same. The same is true for "Aygi" too.

Unfortunately the same is not true for the spec designations. As far as I know T2, T-Spirit and T-Sport would be okay but "T3" when said in French (tay-twa - poor guide btw... ) sounds like "shut the :censor: up!".

The MR-2 has also had to be renamed for the French market. Perhaps Musashi-sama can explain that one ;)

A

Em's Yaris - Paris thing is right. I saw it on the Interweb once but the page had gone next time I looked for it.

Found this while looking for further info tonight. Doesn't explain anything about the naming of the car but interesting. The blokes aren't gonna like it! :P

clicky

oh rite. well dunno about anybody else, kimi could probably vouch for this, but most yaris round the midlands are owned and driven by men mainly, so in that sense the target market idea doesnt apply to the midlands! :P lol

Well in the recent ads its always the womans car! lol Thats a really interesting link actually Al!

lol Azeem - not much applies to us reprobates in the Midlands! :lol::lol: Although saying that I fell for the advertising obviously! :lol::lol:

Yes I loved those two ads. One where the woman moves all the cameras in the car park to point at her Yaris, the other where she moves the car so the window cleaner doesn't fall on it!

lol Azeem - not much applies to us reprobates in the Midlands!  :lol:  :lol: Although saying that I fell for the advertising obviously!  :lol:  :lol:

lol! well to be honest when i was looking for a car i didnt really look at just yarii, but for £2500 i got a car with one WOMAN (so its extra specially looked after - no sexism intended! :P) owner, and 32000 on the clock with FDSH. also drives real smooth! best decision of my life! and also meeting excellent ppl on this forum like yourself B)

barring the two telly ads...the only advertising i fell for was the one about my specific car, never really took much notice about anything else! or is that just because the "yobs" waste no time in defacing new advertising hoards? one of lifes great mysteries! lol

I've often thought about this, the Yaris was theoretically the replacement for the starlet, and has subsequently become more popular, but would the yaris have sold as well and gained such a good reputation if it was still called the Starlet??

I've often thought about this, the Yaris was theoretically the replacement for the starlet, and has subsequently become more popular, but would the yaris have sold as well and gained such a good reputation if it was still called the Starlet??

very, very true. i doubt to think it would have sold as well. and as for reputation...this forum speaks for itself! "starlet owners club" - cant really see that in my head! :P