Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have Local Authorities Nothing Better To Do?

Twincam.GTi

Have local authorities nothing better to do?

Is this bureaucracy gone mad?

This past weekend (due to the good weather) I helped a friend of mine (who has a small collection of 50’s British cars) to rub down his 1958 Austin A35 Van, just a basic ‘flatting off’ for a quick blow over to tidy it up.

Where he lives the house is his property, the garage is his property but the bays were you park (resident only bays, which he has two allocated) outside are council/authority owned property. The vehicle we were working on is Road legal (M.O.Ted, Insured and due to age tax exempt).

However during the course of the day we receive an official visit from a representative from the local authorities asking us to cease what we are doing. :eek: Naturally we ask why, emphasising that we were not going to spray the car here (after the rubbing down we were going to drive it two miles down the road to another friends unit on the local industrial estate, where it would be undercover); we also point out the car is road legal. I was in fact quite surprised members of our local council even worked at weekends but there you go.

Apparantly it's miss use of ground! :rolleyes:

Bureaucracy gone mad? :ffs:

A few years ago back in 1997 my friend had a 1959 Humber super snipe estate parked in one of the bays (which was not road legal) which he welded up/rebuilt lower areas etc. over a period of 3 months. The local 'then' council never minded and were very amicable, they stated that providing the neighbours didn’t mind (a couple actually helped him) and that he have a note pined up in the window stating what he was doing then there would be no problem.

Naturally due to what happened this weekend his neighbours are worried/have also expressed concern as does this mean you are not allowed to ‘maintain ones car’ outside your house in this area?

Perhaps the local authorities would prefer everyone to deal in drugs outside their house instead! :censor:

Well, it's the all part of our country's government, whch is naff.....

Did you manage to finish off the job in the end?

Yes, as soon as he left we carried on then wipped it down to mates unit.

Trouble is from now on i'm sure a 'beedy litlle eye' will be kept on my friends house now by local authorities. ...what a shame they can't keep a beedy little eye on the theiving scum and drug dealers that live on some of the other estates in Telford :ffs:

Give him a slap or two, that is outrageous imho.

Thats like saying someone without a drive, who parks on the public road, cannot clean or do any work on their vehicle because they dont own the land its parked on.....

Its absurd! :ffs:

Tegan Posted Today, 11:10 AM

Makesyou wonder if a neighbour complained?  how else would they know what you were up to?

Did wounder about that :yes:

But everyone seems to get on round there and help each other out.

Makesyou wonder if a neighbour complained? <_<  how else would they know what you were up to?

They dont usually bother people unless someone complains anyway so it is a high possibility!

But we can't think what we did to make someone complain :crybaby: .

We were making no loud noise (unlike 8 years ago with the '59 Humber ...angle grinding etc. and no complaints back then) and like I said we were not going to spray car there due to it being resdental area anyway (didn't want to subject people to obnoxious paint/thinners smells or get paint on neighbours cat etc.).

Some people are just funny about these things! :o

Maybe they were just jelous of you or something?!

Some people dont like dust though (even though its got no calories)  :lol:  lol!

Yeah you can eat as much dust as you like! :lol:

Someone must've "tipped them off", why else would they have been there unless someone complained..... I hate neighbours like that. If I had a problem with one of our neighbours I would go and tell them to their face, not ring the authorities..... its just cowardess....

But it still begs the question why. You were on your own property, and since you were not doing anything wrong no noise etc they shouldn't have the right to stop you!

It's not as simple as that. It's like if you run a business from your own home, changes its use. Like lorries parked outside people's homes.

Some people do very strange things on their drives! This sounds like an overly neurotic neighbour though in my opinion. You got someone on a bad day who just phoned them up. They're not psychic! Pity the person didn't just come to see you and have a friendly word though.

It's different because as pointed out, it's a local council ownerd parking area.

Still a pain. In all the work I've done on the bike in the last 6 months, weather it be angle grinding (lots!), spannering, cursing, etc, not had a single complaint.

They're either not bothered, or scared - you decide...

:D