Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Gti

gollam

Hi there and welcome :thumbsup:

Another GTi (I presume the 'AE92' Model code built between '87 to '92 or do you have the earlier '83 to '87 'AE82' Model) owner, well done :D . That little 1600 '4AGE' Twincam is an ace reving engine.

How many were made ...don't know because 'GTi' was actually only the Badge used for western European models, a lot of other countries know it as the FX GT (FX I think means 'Hatchback model'). Australia for example had a four door version of the 'GTi' called FX GT of your hatchback (yes the hatchback Shell with four doors, some '87 to '92 Corolla's were also marketed in Germany like that in 'standard' format).

What year and colour is yours?

Also if I remember correctly, South Africa also had a 4-door model known as the RSi??? I stand corrected on this as it was a *very* long time ago I was last there :rolleyes:

Don't know much about it yet as i've just bought it. It's a g reg and red. Not a lot to go on!

gollam Posted Today, 04:12 PM

Don't know much about it yet as i've just bought it. It's a g reg and red. Not a lot to go on!

So that will be the 'AE92' model code version from 87 to 92.

Main bad points to look out for are:

Mechanically

Jumping out of 5th gear when high miler

&

Rear brake calipers sticking resulting in Low handbrake efficency

Bodywise ...due to age with some (some rust very bad and others hardly at all)

Sunroof

Tailgate

Front wings

Rear arches

Pillers by windscreen

...Those are only cosmetic

Structually...

Back of sills

&

(recently one that seems to be croping up) Rear suspension/strut mounting towers/inside rear wheel arch.

It has been standing for 18 momths. It failed an MOT, then ,on 3 points .A bit of rust underneath. A front gaiter and the offside rear brake wasn't effective enough. I assume that's the problem you mentioned. It's got a couple of small rust spots on the sunroof and a couple of 6" ones onthe forward edge of the rear wheel arches. Are the gaiters easy to replace? Haynes doesn't mention much about the gti .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links