Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mini Moke

Twincam.GTi

the term used for a mini that has been shortened in length like that is known as a shorty, no doubt about that.

Sure theres more than one company making them, but usually its DIY jobs....

Is this thread still about mokes? :P

Being a massive fan of The Prisoner TV series, a real coup for me was being given the opportunity a couple of years back of driving a moke around Portmeirion. Sad but also pretty cool. B)

That's cool, but not as cool as if it had been a Lotus 7 ;)

Is there not a guy in Portmerion who imports Renault Twingos? I've always liked them :!Removed!:

My mum had mini 30 for years and it was a fantastic little car - more fun than a go-kart! At one point so offered it to me, but I turned it down (it would always have been "her car") and unfortunately I was never offered it a second time :(

Mokes are cool, but I've always had an even softer spot for the Citroen Mehari :thumbsup:

A

Al J Posted Today, 12:00 AM

Is this thread still about mokes? 

Being a massive fan of The Prisoner TV series, a real coup for me was being given the opportunity a couple of years back of driving a moke around Portmeirion. Sad but also pretty cool. 

What colour was moke and what year did you 'drive' one at Portmeirion?

Reason I ask is because friends Moke (the one in the first pictures and start of this thread) I helped rebuild was white before restoration and lime green before that, hes run it for over 10 years and always used to take it to Portmeirion for the 'Prisoner convention', just woundered if it might be the same one you've driven :rolleyes: .

alanbradley Posted Today, 06:33 AM

Mokes are cool, but I've always had an even softer spot for the Citroen Mehari 

Yes Citroen Mehari a direct rival to the Moke. As per Moke being based on Mini, Mehari was based on French classic runabout...the 2CV.

Wasn't part the body on a Mehari 'moulded' in the same coloured plastic as they use for washing up bowls?

Citroen Mehari had more success with a 4x4 variant (they built 4x4 Mehari for 3 years of main production) than Moke did. :yes:

BMW are talking about bringing a new Mini Moke out soon, t'was in AutoExpress a few weeks back, along with the rest of the new Mini range....

Demonic Angel Posted Today, 07:29 AM

BMW are talking about bringing a new Mini Moke out soon, t'was in AutoExpress a few weeks back, along with the rest of the new Mini range....

I had heard something about that :yes:

... trouble is it will be just tooooo expensive like rest of new Mini range.

To me and my friends all variants of Mini should be a cheep, enjoyable, practical yet fun easy to fix car :yes:

The new Mini is enjoyable and fun but it's none of the others.

As the late great Sir Alec Issigonis pointed out the Mini was meant to be a cheap and cheerful car to get the masses motoring. Something that the twits at BMW seem to have lost site of as regards to the 'Mini' concept :ffs: .

Don't even get me started on BMW minis.

What is with the toss pots who drive about in a BMW mini with a union jack on the roof? last time i checked BMW was a German company, not British...

And whilst I'm on this note, the new MINI weighs in at more than a Ford Focus 5 door Hatchback! Its about the same size externally too, what the hell is Mini about that, other than the name? Its a fat lard ***** modern hatch. Lets remember real minis are saloons too.

And what is going on with the external size, when there is less room INSIDE than OUTSIDE!!! Have you ever been in one? I have... There is NO legroom in the back at all, due to the bmw Z axle design. My knees were on the dashboard sat in the front too, infact there is less interior space in the new Mini than the old one...

Also as pointed out, the mini was supposed to be a cheap runabout, new Minis are not cheap cars.

One thing I will say, is that they are good cars, they are fun to drive, and far more reliable than the real minis, but thats as far as it goes, they are good cars, but they will NEVER be minis ;)

KidKoala - :yes::yes::yes: Brilliant statement (rant?) you just said everything I say, especially ...

What is with the toss pots who drive about in a BMW mini with a union jack on the roof? last time i checked BMW was a German company, not British...

:yes::yes::thumbsup:

and...

And what is going on with the external size, when there is less room INSIDE than OUTSIDE!!! Have you ever been in one? I have... There is NO legroom in the back at all, due to the bmw Z axle design. My knees were on the dashboard sat in the front too, infact there is less interior space in the new Mini than the old one...

That was an absolute shock to me as well when I sat in one...was someone on the BMW design team 'stoned'?

Dunno but fair play if they were, I'd like to get away with getting stoned on the job :P

Driving home late on Tuesday night, approaching a roundabout and could see this car in the distance but it was tiny, got closer to it and realised it was a mini (it was dark before you say anything!), it was one of the older, little ones which there have been pics of in this thread. It had two massive white stripes over the bonnet, roof and down to the rear "bumper" and a very very loud exhaust..it looked a right state, and what made it funnier was the guy driving must've been over 6ft!

:lol::lol:

I'm 6ft 1" and I drive a mini!

Nothing bad meant by it mate, it was just with the one that I saw that just made the whole car look funnier :)

aye, just saying so you know it perfectly drivable :D

Al J Posted Today, 12:00 AM

Is this thread still about mokes? 

Being a massive fan of The Prisoner TV series, a real coup for me was being given the opportunity a couple of years back of driving a moke around Portmeirion. Sad but also pretty cool. 

What colour was moke and what year did you 'drive' one at Portmeirion?

Reason I ask is because friends Moke (the one in the first pictures and start of this thread) I helped rebuild was white before restoration and lime green before that, hes run it for over 10 years and always used to take it to Portmeirion for the 'Prisoner convention', just woundered if it might be the same one you've driven :rolleyes: .

It was a green one just like in your photo and it was during a convention weekend but can't remember the year, sorry. It was owned by a guy called Steve from Liverpool whom you may know. In fact I know one or two people into mokes. PM me if you wish. :yes:

I also got the chance to sit in the back of a white one during an actual procession around Portmeirion about five years ago. Now that was sad! :lol: