Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vehicle Damaged In Dealers Possession

m_hood

:censor:

I am writing as I have an issue which I am sure has affected many drivers over the past. I took my 1991 Toyota Celica in to RRG Toyota Altrincham on Saturday 11th June for a Pre-booked Visual Safety Report. I dropped the vehicle off at approx. 9:30am and collected it at 12:30pm upon where I was told the check had not been done as it “takes longer, up to a couple of hours, for older cars” even though the website states it takes 8 minutes, so I left a bit disappointed. When I was leaving the branch I was getting in to my car and I saw one of the staff walking past, staring at a particular part of the car on the passenger side, when he saw me looking at him I was asked “do you have a hands free kit” and when I said No the gentleman just walked away without saying a further word. A little unusual I am sure you agree. Upon my arrival home, I noticed a small sharp dent in the front OS Wing and a mark where a hand had been brushed across it clearing the considerable dirt that was on the car suggesting someone had noticed what had happened and tried to give it a rub down. After seeing this I checked the car and noticed a sizeable crease near the rear light on the NS Wing that was some 4 inches long and a couple of mm deep. I also have a shattered and cracked front number plate although I did not notice this until the following day so I cant say 100% that this also happened, although it is my Girlfriend who parks in front of me at home so it is likely to have occurred at the Toyota garage.

I immediately took the car straight back to RRG Toyota and asked for an explanation. Unfortunately no one was in a position to comment due to it being around 4pm Saturday, and I was asked by John in Services to phone on Monday which I was happy to do. I phoned on Monday morning and spoke to ‘Peter’ who was rude and not interested in anything I had to say. My only words were “I had my car in on Saturday” before I was interrupted and a seemingly endless barrage of what seemed like standard pre-reheubikd comments were given to me explicitly stating that they were in no way to blame and no responsibility was to be taken for the damage to my vehicle. I explained that I have seen their staff driving vehicles around the courtyard at excessive speeds in the past, most notably when I have been waiting at the Service desk on more than one occasion for over 15 minutes, and that it was inevitable that they were going to cause damage in one way or another if that was to continue. The reply was that they had a “tight ship to run” and none of his team had accepted that they had caused the damage either in the courtyard or in the workshop and it “was my prerogitave” if I wanted to do anything further about it. I was also greatly insulted when I was told “I should have had the car checked before & after” to which my reply was that I took it somewhere which I thought employed professional people who would take care of my vehicle and if everyone was to do that then the garages would never get any work done. I was extremely angered by this, not least as I was spoken to like a liar without any form of courtesy whatsoever.

After this, I immediately phoned Toyota UK and lodged a case, reference # 427855 where I was told that due to a backlog it would take 3-4 days to get back to me. I waited until 10 days later before phoning back myself when I was told that Toyota Altrincham had not responded to their fax / phone call which they had placed on the 14th June so they would chase it up and ask them to contact me urgently. I again waited until the 22nd June without news so phoned up and was told that no contact had been established and they would again contact RRG Toyota on my behalf, which I since learned was on done on the 23rd. On the 8th July I received a call from Toyota UK saying that RRG were not accepting responsibility after viewing their video tapes and they “were not prepared to spend any more time on the subject”. I asked for advice and they reccomended I go in to the showroom and view the tapes, I asked if these tapes had 360 degree views that would conclude that my vehicle was not damaged there which was confirmed as a negative, in which case I said it would be a waste of my time and theirs. However, I decided to visit RRG Toyota in the hope of viewing these tapes which “proved that my vehicle wasn’t damaged there” on the 14th July. I was greeted by Ray who told me that they “only keep tapes for a week” which I was very angry to hear after being told that they could “prove” to me that my car wasn’t damaged in their possession. I strongly suspect that this excuse was given to me in the expectation that I would not request to see the evidence through the fact that I would feel uncomfortable doing so. And when I went to view it, it no longer exists. Now to me this further enhances my belief that they have something to hide and they think that if they fail to show any interest for long enough, then I too will decide to drop the argument, and all of these delays have been presumably in order to ensure the backups had been overwritten. I had suspected this from the off as I am an IT Administrator and am thus familiar with backup strategies and how the tapes would be rotated. Anyway, Ray viewed the car and took a report (which was the first time this had been done since reporting the incident) and said he would get back to me on Friday which he did. Unfortunately the stance had not changed but I have to say that Ray was the first person to actually take any notice to what I had to say and treated me with courtesy.

I am very keen on checking for these kinds of things as it is as it is one of my pet hates seeing drivers bumping their doors against other cars in car parks etc. I am 100% aware of every mark / dent originally on the vehicle, and I am 100% certain that the damage mentioned happened whilst my vehicle was in the care of RRG Toyota Altrincham. I would recommend that other vehicle owners exercise caution when leaving their cars unattended as the major garages can only too easily get away with these things leaving me out of pocket for the repairs that now need to be done in order to restore my vehicle to the state it was in.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or input you could provide as I am sure your voice would have a bigger impact than mine so far and at the very least just to make others aware of the way the industry is being run by some. As Toyota UK informed me that this is a franchised dealership then I can only presume that these standards are not ones that they would condone nor view in good light, however they are on the verge of losing a loyal Toyota customer through the unconcerned approach by a vendor that they are happy to be associated with.

If you were a customer at our centre, the damage would have been rectified! Its disgaceful that they didnt do anything about it! :angry:

We've had one of our lorrys hit a customers car before, but we sorted the problem out without any fuss or TGB getting involved!

Times like this make me wonder whyat kind of company i work for!

This is a desgrace when this happens.

Unfortunately I can offer no more advice than what you are (quite rightly) doing.

I presume you took it for the Free 'pre visual' safety check, this is a scam! Not just one done by Toyota UK either, other car manufacturers are doing this as well. It is yet another way of getting people 'onto the forecourt' to perhaps 'Look at whats for sale' :rolleyes: whilst they 'check' your car.

Normally it would be people with cars under 10 years old, yet with your vehicle it was you wishing to be genuine (hence why they didn't seem so bothered with you, wouldn't do it straight away as per advert says).

Also your mention of 'racing' round the forecourt is of great concern.

I am writing as I have an issue which I am sure has affected many drivers over the past. I took my 1991 Toyota Celica in to RGB Toyota Altrincham on Saturday 11th June for a Pre-booked Visual Safety Report. I dropped the vehicle off at approx. 9:30am and collected it at 12:30pm upon where I was told the check had not been done as it “takes longer, up to a couple of hours, for older cars” even though the website states it takes 8 minutes, so I left a bit disappointed. When I was leaving the branch I was getting in to my car and I saw one of the staff walking past, staring at a particular part of the car on the passenger side, when he saw me looking at him I was asked “do you have a hands free kit” and when I said No the gentleman just walked away without saying a further word. A little unusual I am sure you agree. Upon my arrival home, I noticed a small sharp dent in the front OS Wing and a mark where a hand had been brushed across it clearing the considerable dirt that was on the car suggesting someone had noticed what had happened and tried to give it a rub down. After seeing this I checked the car and noticed a sizeable crease near the rear light on the NS Wing that was some 4 inches long and a couple of mm deep. I also have a shattered and cracked front number plate although I did not notice this until the following day so I cant say 100% that this also happened, although it is my Girlfriend who parks in front of me at home so it is likely to have occurred at the Toyota garage.

I immediately took the car straight back to RGB Toyota and asked for an explanation. Unfortunately no one was in a position to comment due to it being around 4pm Saturday, and I was asked by John in Services to phone on Monday which I was happy to do. I phoned on Monday morning and spoke to ‘Peter’ who was rude and not interested in anything I had to say. My only words were “I had my car in on Saturday” before I was interrupted and a seemingly endless barrage of what seemed like standard pre-reheubikd comments were given to me explicitly stating that they were in no way to blame and no responsibility was to be taken for the damage to my vehicle. I explained that I have seen their staff driving vehicles around the courtyard at excessive speeds in the past, most notably when I have been waiting at the Service desk on more than one occasion for over 15 minutes, and that it was inevitable that they were going to cause damage in one way or another if that was to continue. The reply was that they had a “tight ship to run” and none of his team had accepted that they had caused the damage either in the courtyard or in the workshop and it “was my prerogitave” if I wanted to do anything further about it. I was also greatly insulted when I was told “I should have had the car checked before & after” to which my reply was that I took it somewhere which I thought employed professional people who would take care of my vehicle and if everyone was to do that then the garages would never get any work done. I was extremely angered by this, not least as I was spoken to like a liar without any form of courtesy whatsoever.

After this, I immediately phoned Toyota UK and lodged a case, reference # 427855 where I was told that due to a backlog it would take 3-4 days to get back to me. I waited until 10 days later before phoning back myself when I was told that Toyota Altrincham had not responded to their fax / phone call which they had placed on the 14th June so they would chase it up and ask them to contact me urgently. I again waited until the 22nd June without news so phoned up and was told that no contact had been established and they would again contact RGB Toyota on my behalf, which I since learned was on done on the 23rd. On the 8th July I received a call from Toyota UK saying that RGB were not accepting responsibility after viewing their video tapes and they “were not prepared to spend any more time on the subject”. I asked for advice and they reccomended I go in to the showroom and view the tapes, I asked if these tapes had 360 degree views that would conclude that my vehicle was not damaged there which was confirmed as a negative, in which case I said it would be a waste of my time and theirs. However, I decided to visit RGB Toyota in the hope of viewing these tapes which “proved that my vehicle wasn’t damaged there” on the 14th July. I was greeted by Ray who told me that they “only keep tapes for a week” which I was very angry to hear after being told that they could “prove” to me that my car wasn’t damaged in their possession. I strongly suspect that this excuse was given to me in the expectation that I would not request to see the evidence through the fact that I would feel uncomfortable doing so. And when I went to view it, it no longer exists. Now to me this further enhances my belief that they have something to hide and they think that if they fail to show any interest for long enough, then I too will decide to drop the argument, and all of these delays have been presumably in order to ensure the backups had been overwritten. I had suspected this from the off as I am an IT Administrator and am thus familiar with backup strategies and how the tapes would be rotated. Anyway, Ray viewed the car and took a report (which was the first time this had been done since reporting the incident) and said he would get back to me on Friday which he did. Unfortunately the stance had not changed but I have to say that Ray was the first person to actually take any notice to what I had to say and treated me with courtesy.

I am very keen on checking for these kinds of things as it is as it is one of my pet hates seeing drivers bumping their doors against other cars in car parks etc. I am 100% aware of every mark / dent originally on the vehicle, and I am 100% certain that the damage mentioned happened whilst my vehicle was in the care of RGB Toyota Altrincham. I would recommend that other vehicle owners exercise caution when leaving their cars unattended as the major garages can only too easily get away with these things leaving me out of pocket for the repairs that now need to be done in order to restore my vehicle to the state it was in.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or input you could provide as I am sure your voice would have a bigger impact than mine so far and at the very least just to make others aware of the way the industry is being run by some. As Toyota UK informed me that this is a franchised dealership then I can only presume that these standards are not ones that they would condone nor view in good light, however they are on the verge of losing a loyal Toyota customer through the unconcerned approach by a vendor that they are happy to be associated with.

I am writing as I have an issue which I am sure has affected many drivers over the past. I took my 1991 Toyota Celica in to RGB Toyota Altrincham on Saturday 11th June for a Pre-booked Visual Safety Report. I dropped the vehicle off at approx. 9:30am and collected it at 12:30pm upon where I was told the check had not been done as it “takes longer, up to a couple of hours, for older cars” even though the website states it takes 8 minutes, so I left a bit disappointed. When I was leaving the branch I was getting in to my car and I saw one of the staff walking past, staring at a particular part of the car on the passenger side, when he saw me looking at him I was asked “do you have a hands free kit” and when I said No the gentleman just walked away without saying a further word. A little unusual I am sure you agree. Upon my arrival home, I noticed a small sharp dent in the front OS Wing and a mark where a hand had been brushed across it clearing the considerable dirt that was on the car suggesting someone had noticed what had happened and tried to give it a rub down. After seeing this I checked the car and noticed a sizeable crease near the rear light on the NS Wing that was some 4 inches long and a couple of mm deep. I also have a shattered and cracked front number plate although I did not notice this until the following day so I cant say 100% that this also happened, although it is my Girlfriend who parks in front of me at home so it is likely to have occurred at the Toyota garage.

I immediately took the car straight back to RGB Toyota and asked for an explanation. Unfortunately no one was in a position to comment due to it being around 4pm Saturday, and I was asked by John in Services to phone on Monday which I was happy to do. I phoned on Monday morning and spoke to ‘Peter’ who was rude and not interested in anything I had to say. My only words were “I had my car in on Saturday” before I was interrupted and a seemingly endless barrage of what seemed like standard pre-reheubikd comments were given to me explicitly stating that they were in no way to blame and no responsibility was to be taken for the damage to my vehicle. I explained that I have seen their staff driving vehicles around the courtyard at excessive speeds in the past, most notably when I have been waiting at the Service desk on more than one occasion for over 15 minutes, and that it was inevitable that they were going to cause damage in one way or another if that was to continue. The reply was that they had a “tight ship to run” and none of his team had accepted that they had caused the damage either in the courtyard or in the workshop and it “was my prerogitave” if I wanted to do anything further about it. I was also greatly insulted when I was told “I should have had the car checked before & after” to which my reply was that I took it somewhere which I thought employed professional people who would take care of my vehicle and if everyone was to do that then the garages would never get any work done. I was extremely angered by this, not least as I was spoken to like a liar without any form of courtesy whatsoever.

After this, I immediately phoned Toyota UK and lodged a case, reference # 427855 where I was told that due to a backlog it would take 3-4 days to get back to me. I waited until 10 days later before phoning back myself when I was told that Toyota Altrincham had not responded to their fax / phone call which they had placed on the 14th June so they would chase it up and ask them to contact me urgently. I again waited until the 22nd June without news so phoned up and was told that no contact had been established and they would again contact RGB Toyota on my behalf, which I since learned was on done on the 23rd. On the 8th July I received a call from Toyota UK saying that RGB were not accepting responsibility after viewing their video tapes and they “were not prepared to spend any more time on the subject”. I asked for advice and they reccomended I go in to the showroom and view the tapes, I asked if these tapes had 360 degree views that would conclude that my vehicle was not damaged there which was confirmed as a negative, in which case I said it would be a waste of my time and theirs. However, I decided to visit RGB Toyota in the hope of viewing these tapes which “proved that my vehicle wasn’t damaged there” on the 14th July. I was greeted by Ray who told me that they “only keep tapes for a week” which I was very angry to hear after being told that they could “prove” to me that my car wasn’t damaged in their possession. I strongly suspect that this excuse was given to me in the expectation that I would not request to see the evidence through the fact that I would feel uncomfortable doing so. And when I went to view it, it no longer exists. Now to me this further enhances my belief that they have something to hide and they think that if they fail to show any interest for long enough, then I too will decide to drop the argument, and all of these delays have been presumably in order to ensure the backups had been overwritten. I had suspected this from the off as I am an IT Administrator and am thus familiar with backup strategies and how the tapes would be rotated. Anyway, Ray viewed the car and took a report (which was the first time this had been done since reporting the incident) and said he would get back to me on Friday which he did. Unfortunately the stance had not changed but I have to say that Ray was the first person to actually take any notice to what I had to say and treated me with courtesy.

I am very keen on checking for these kinds of things as it is as it is one of my pet hates seeing drivers bumping their doors against other cars in car parks etc. I am 100% aware of every mark / dent originally on the vehicle, and I am 100% certain that the damage mentioned happened whilst my vehicle was in the care of RGB Toyota Altrincham. I would recommend that other vehicle owners exercise caution when leaving their cars unattended as the major garages can only too easily get away with these things leaving me out of pocket for the repairs that now need to be done in order to restore my vehicle to the state it was in.

You forgot to add your comment :unsure:

I have a Toyota previa GS 1995. In February someone damaged the sunroof whilst trying to get into the car. I took the car to the local Toyota dealer in Guildford and they "made good" the sunroof by taping it up whilst I got the insurance to fix it. ( this is my wife's car and she has taken a LONG time to claim on the insurance)

I have just had the accident repairers look at the sunroof and they have told us that the sunroof motor is now missing and therfore the sunroof is unrepairable!

They have also told us that they cannot get any spares for the sunroof and cannot get an replacement sunroof either!

Can anybody help as I have effectively go a worthless car now. I was looking to replace this after the sunroof was fixed but that is no longer an option.

they should keep the cctv tapes for a month mate and it should be policy if an occoranced happened to keep th tape to prove to thst they were innocent, if its stored on a pc then it will definately be ther efor 30 days if on taep u just gotta jope they didnt record over it

That is really out of order, so Toyota GB arent doing anything about it?

Have you tried the "giving them bad publicity route?"i.e contacting Watchdog, local press etc?

That is terrible. I've just yesterday grassed up my dealer to Toyota GB as I was getting the run round from them.

Have you asked Toyota what the next step is? (theirs and yours). They must be aware that you aren't simply going to say "oh well" and let it drop. Call Toyota GB again and basically ask what they intend to do about it and insist on a written response as well as anything that they say on the phone.

This will hopefully make them realise that you are taking the matter seriously and that they will need to do the same.

You may also want to consider a chat with your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

I would def check on the tapes thing - i worked for a company that used them and was always told that the police required them to be kept for a month minimum!

Hi Guys,

thanks for your replies to the topic. I have so far taken the steps to contact several local councillors, my local Trading Standards, the MVRA Trade Association, the Retail Motor Industry, my local MP, Top Gear, Auto Express and several of the local newspapers. The response I am getting is all similar in the fact that there doesnt seem to be much I can do without physical proof that this occurred while in Toyota's possession. However, I am waiting on a few others to get back to me in the hope that there may be some further advice.

I will contact Toyota UK today and request that something further is done, explaining that I have chosen to send letters to the above people and I would like to know what else is to be done about it as I feel it has gone too far now to be dropped by myself.

My major concern with the backup tapes is that they took ONE day short of a calendar month to get back to me saying I should view the tapes - that just proves to me that they had no intention of allowing me to see them as they were either already deleted (as I was told they kept them for 7 days only) or were due for deletion the following day if they indeed keep them fora month. I agree entirely that they should be keeping 'evidence' if they are not responsible but it seems to me that I am just talking to a brick wall with these people.

I will keep you informed of any progress.

Not more to add really other than Good Luck.

Al J  Jul 15 2005, 07:32 PM Post #9 

I've just yesterday grassed up my dealer to Toyota GB as I was getting the run round from them.

With most garages (main dealer or otherwise) that appears to be the normal behaviour these days, tell you one story then tell you more bull :censor: t to cover up the prevoius bull :censor: t they found it necessary to tell you.

'Fobing' people off with a smile also appears to be a particular area in which they excel. Saying they will ring you when something is ready then not so you have to chase them up ...I could go on and on here! :ffs:

Yeah, I do know what you mean. How about the briefest of emails... "YOUR CAR IS READY". Not exactly polite and also pretty useless when you're in work!

When I got car back, still had probs and is going back tonight. Sorted out squeaky driver's seat by replacing seat frame.

Pity they forgot to reconnect the airbag though! :rolleyes: :ffs:

...And how many people have picked up a car from a garage to find it covered in Dust/mud (inside and out) plus loads of extra miles on the clock (er, that was the short road test sir!).

...And how many people have picked up a car from a garage to find it covered in Dust/mud (inside and out) plus loads of extra miles on the clock (er, that was the short road test sir!).

Yeah, I get the muck but the opposite with the milage. "Oh it's been out for a test run". Where? round the showroom? The mileage hadn't changed. :rolleyes:

a corrolla Tsport i borrowed was apparently a customers......

Now that's just wrong. Lucky it was a responsible, careful driver who wouldn't thrash it! :lol:

• 1 year later...

After seeing this I checked the car and noticed a sizeable crease near the rear light on the NS Wing that was some 4 inches long and a couple of mm deep. I also have a shattered and cracked front number plate although I did not notice this until the following day so I cant say 100% that this also happened, although it is my Girlfriend who parks in front of me at home so it is likely to have occurred at the Toyota garage.

I bought a Yaris from RRG Toyota Bolton. I purchased it on the Tuesday, but could not pick it up until the Friday due to insurance and it being on a private plate. My father and myself had throughly inspected the car and found only one minor chip in the paintwork and a pluck of thread on one of the seats. When I collected my car on the Friday it was parked extremely close to another vehicle on the passenger side, making it almost impossible to inspect on the forecourt. One hour later back at home, I noticed that my passenger rear colour bumber had been damaged considerably and that someone had attempted to touch it up with the wrong shade of red. I tried to contact the salemans, but over 9 weeks I was constantly fobbed off. I've had that many other problems with the vehicle that I gave up even moaning about the paint on a £6000 car. The thing is as soon as you get off the forecourt you have lost any liability claim for the damage. I think when you take your car to Toyota they should do I quicky bodywork vehicle inspection that both parties sign, just like when you get a hire car/van. Then that way when you get it back, check it over on the forecourt and if it doesn't comply with the documentation, you haven't got to waste countless hours chasing ghosts and excuses. I've learnt that in future, be on your guard and check your vehicle.

I bought a Yaris from RRG Toyota Bolton.

I do feel for you all with your bad experiences... i do not know if there is any truth in the assertions and assumptions here.... I cant really therefore comment on any legitamacy of any claims nor is it my place to do so....

m_hood... were all innocent until proven guilty in this country ... this may be to the advantage of people who have commited criminal acts where there isnt any proof but... well its that way so innocents arent persecuted for things that they may not actually be responsible for... sorry your cars been damaged by somone. Given you have no actual proof how can you be so certain it was Mr Ts fault?

Metzy... I can empathise with your experience... its a sad thing when you make an error of judgement ... did it myself with my tubby and paid greatly a little later but ... it was my fault for not checking and you live you learn... with regards to my experience of RRG Bolton... theyve been fantastic with me and my 2. Everything theyve done has been checked out and been on the level by an independant mechy of 30 years past experience and the service and aftercare has been beyond my expectations. Since RRG Bolton has been caring for my car its been looked after and I can confirm that the guy who is tasked with doing jobs on my 2(met him and its always the same guy) is a fantastic bloke who pays great effort to the jobs hes done. If I had a sister Id be quite happy for him to .... *cough. Furthermore, given the quantity of work I had done on my 2 Ive had dealings with most of the frontline staff and theyve all been espescially pleasant and focussed on getting me back mobile(the leggy lass is espescially pleasant :P ). Hope things work out for you well....

I have a Toyota previa GS 1995. In February someone damaged the sunroof whilst trying to get into the car. I took the car to the local Toyota dealer in Guildford and they "made good" the sunroof by taping it up whilst I got the insurance to fix it. ( this is my wife's car and she has taken a LONG time to claim on the insurance)

I have just had the accident repairers look at the sunroof and they have told us that the sunroof motor is now missing and therfore the sunroof is unrepairable!

They have also told us that they cannot get any spares for the sunroof and cannot get an replacement sunroof either!

Can anybody help as I have effectively go a worthless car now. I was looking to replace this after the sunroof was fixed but that is no longer an option.

This is true!

Toyota do not stock any parts for the sunroof for the Previa, my dad had the same problem when his sunroof caught the garage door when backing in.

I hate it when they discontinue stuff....

If Porsche can open up another factory, to churn out bits for their 70s and 80s cars, I don;t see why someone huuuuuuuuge like Toyota can't! Worse still toyota actually BIN old stock from "obselete" cars... I know octagon toyota in reading recently binned a load of Ra28 celica bits....

Seem s like a crying shame to me :(