Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'2 Fast 2 Furious' National Scare-mongering

97paseo

Has anyone seen the scare-mongering which is taking place on the TV news & in newspapers regarding '2 Fast 2 Furious'?

The basic jist of it is that the film is being linked to road deaths via alleged 'street racing'.

Basically a guy last week in the US was killed down the road from the multiplex after allegedly watching the film and then racing through a suburb. This is the most pathetic peice of tabloid :censor: i've ever heard, its like saying "I watched Trainspotting the other day & then injected myself with hard dugs straight after because of the film", or saying 'The Silence Of The Lambs' has created a bunch of flesh eating pyschos...

Sorry to rant :( but I've got a degree in film & media and this has all been done before with other films in the past & proved incorrect.

Fast & Furious is catering for an exisitng & constantly emerging culture NOT creating a sub-culture of moron speed freaks intent on killing one another...

ITV using incorrect terms like 'joyrider' are just stiring-up a fear of anyone who drives a modified car, on another news they showed Kent Police targeting modded vehicles because they 'might' be involved in dangerous driving activities & confiscating cars.

Sorry peeps but this really pisses me off!!!! :ffs: :!Removed!:

I hate it too mate but until the public separate the genuine enthusiasts like us from the Max power reading, baseball cap wearing, nova driving :censor: :censor: :censor: that speed round town every night we will get nowhere :( :crybaby: (no offense meant to Max power reading, baseball cap wearing, nova driving :censor: :P )

It has been the same for ages with cruising <_<

Simon

It's like with the launch of Natural Born Killers, the States blamed a lot of recent (at the time) killings on the film. The news effected the UK so much they pulled the film from the big screen shortly after release (so I was informed - being a foreign national and all ;) ) :censor:

Hi everyone

That so true mate. Do you remember a film called natural born killers? Well that film really caused a hype in america that did. A couple went around killing people coping the film?

So now the are blaming 2 fast 2 furious now :wacko: So why dont they point the finger at films like canon ball run? Huh so when i watch 2 fast 2 furious i will come out of the cinema and think that i must drive as fast as possible and start racing with everyone on the road.

What will they blame next?

jerry!!

At the end of the day the press are just doing their job, fabricating news and scares to sell papers, improve tv ratings etc.

it's been done with countless other things not just film, BSE, foot and mouth, GM food, cloning etc etc

it's all blown way out of proportion and that's just how it is, i don't think there's gona be a sudden influx of traffic police though due to the film - there isn't money to keep enough traffic police on the roads as it is anyway

not to worry!

I've lost two what i would call best mates through RTA's both have been caused through speeding.

Both have been guys doing 80+ in a estate,i speed but leave it for the open road,i know it's not big or clever to speed but in the right place it's nice to open your car up a bit.

Fast & Furious is catering for an exisitng & constantly emerging culture NOT creating a sub-culture of moron speed freaks intent on killing one another...

.....correct, Max Flower do a more than adequate job of this wuthout the help of the film companies.

:lol:

i'm a firm believer that if people copy things seen in a film the basic desire to do those type of things is already there. so if they see it or not they are just as likely to do them or not.

i agree speed has its place and the sooner people learn to use speed sensibly and drive to the conditions then the sooner road deaths will drop

The media write what they like because they can........Free speech......Unfortunatley they often forget to engage their brains before they start tapping the keys.......

Sure - films have an influence on people, but more than likely it is a terrible coincidence and an awful tradgedy.

At the end of the day the films are released by the classification board who anticipate what sort of impact they could have on a likely audience. The audience should be intelligent enough to realise that this is only a film and what you see in the movie - very often is not possible.

You would not try to jump a bus across a huge gap just cao Sandra Bullock did it in speed would ya now.

And when did you see anyone jump in the air, run for 20 yards then kick a bloke in the head before landing on the ground again.......

So now the are blaming 2 fast 2 furious now :wacko: So why dont they point the finger at films like canon ball run?

jerry!!

Canonball run, thanks for reminding me Jerry.

Has anyone got an Orangutan I can use to chauffeur me around while I drink beer in the back seat. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

on another news they showed Kent Police targeting modded vehicles because they 'might' be involved in dangerous driving activities & confiscating cars.

I wonder what the legality is of stopping a car just because it looks like it could do a 'blues brother' at any moment.

Surely the Police cannot just stop cars cos they look powerful. Reasonable cause maybe. But they would have to be careful they do not harass the car drivers in anticipation of them breaking the law.

Scenario to imagine:

Does anyone agree that out of a hot looking Supra and a Souped to high heaven Laxpower type Nova, it is the Nova that will most likely to be seen ragging it.

The Supra driver would not need to show off - he knows what he has in his pants......

The film argument has lots of aspects to it, I know the media are doing their job but I don't like it in this case! :P

US police were shown on camera saying:

"We are very aware of what the film is & its impact",

-then carried onto show them attempting to stop street racing - thats another argument but I agree with Sorted.

The most worrying part for me though was the UK Police stopping modded car's in a high street for no reason....I hope it wasn't as it appeared - lets wait & see... :wacko:

When I'm out tonight I'll give my mates girlfriend a hard time about this after a few beers (she's just joined the police & started walking the beat!). :lol:

i can see what they mean....

I saw swedish wife exchange and immediately tried to swap my wife after!!!

movies influence u more than u think lol :P