• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steef

steef

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts
  • Toyota Model: avensis

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:23 AM

I have a 51 avensis and the rear pads are ready for changing. Having bought the pads I took wheel off to check they looked right ones. But this is first car I have had where hand-brake applies the same pads/piston (ie not seperate drum for hand-brake). Is it still a case of pushing piston back or is there a certain method to follow and do I need a special tool. Thanks for any help

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Fat Slob

Fat Slob

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis D-4D

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:34 AM

Hi, yes you need a special piston wind back tool for the rear pads, I got one from a local trade place for 12.50, some places sell them cheap online as well as far as I remember. If you dont mind scraping chunks of flesh off your knuckles you can use a pair of long nose pliers, bit of a hassle though. Also some local garage might lend you one for a small deposit, worth trying I reckon.

#3 steef

steef

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts
  • Toyota Model: avensis

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:28 PM

Used the long nose pliers -10 inch. Worked fine, just needed two pairs of hands to hold caliper while pushing and turning clockwise to get piston back.

#4 Fat Slob

Fat Slob

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis D-4D

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

Used the long nose pliers -10 inch. Worked fine, just needed two pairs of hands to hold caliper while pushing and turning clockwise to get piston back.

View Post

Good for you, hope you get the job done with no problems. :thumbsup:

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users