Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noisy Gearbox Corolla T Sport

phil 83

Can any one give me any info on my noisy gearbox, when i in gear an then take my foot of the acelartor i hear a sort of grinding noise coming from the gearbox? and when i put the gas back on it goes, i went to my toyota garage an he said it was normal and just the gears? but i have never heard it in any other cars, any body help? thanks, 2004 t sport 11000 miles

my 02 plate had it they changed the clutch and its fine now i think theres too much power for the clutch to handle

Thanks, did your dealer try to say it was normal, thats what mine are saying, but it dose not sound normal! thanks for your reply :)

Can any one give me any info on my noisy gearbox, when i in gear an then take my foot of the acelartor i hear a sort of grinding noise coming from the gearbox?  and when i put the gas back on it goes, i went to my toyota garage an he said it was normal and just the gears?  but i have never heard it in any other cars, any body help? thanks,      2004 t sport 11000 miles

hi,

my 03 plate cts did the same, had the clutch replaced , ok now... but for how long is another question???

its a common fault... the dealers will put you off for as long as they can....

:thumbsup: bert

Can any one give me any info on my noisy gearbox, when i in gear an then take my foot of the acelartor i hear a sort of grinding noise coming from the gearbox?   and when i put the gas back on it goes, i went to my toyota garage an he said it was normal and just the gears?   but i have never heard it in any other cars, any body help? thanks,      2004 t sport 11000 miles

hi,

my 03 plate cts did the same, had the clutch replaced , ok now... but for how long is another question???

its a common fault... the dealers will put you off for as long as they can....

:thumbsup: bert

Thanks bert, it goes in next monday to a diff garage, i not gonna let it go this time! thanks for your info :thumbsup:

Thanks bert, it goes in next monday to a diff garage, i not gonna let it go this time! thanks for your info :thumbsup:

no problem :thumbsup:

make sure they change the thrust bearing too... ;)

I'd hold off on getting the thrust bearing changed for now. Wait to see if the clutch replacement sorts it first. If it does then that's ok, if it doesn't then you're still under warranty andcan get it done as a further investigation. Getting the thrust bearings changed is a fairly major operation on the engine and could lead to problems further down the line (contamination of bearings, oil pan leaks etc.)

Late reply....Mine had this (04 CTS with 15K on t'clock) Have had new gearbox bearings and most recently new clutch...All noise has now gone :D

Late reply....Mine had this (04 CTS with 15K on t'clock) Have had new gearbox bearings and most recently new clutch...All noise has now gone  :D

Thanks for that, did they try an tell u that it was all normal an nowt to worry about? even though the granmar can hear it!! :D

Late reply....Mine had this (04 CTS with 15K on t'clock) Have had new gearbox bearings and most recently new clutch...All noise has now gone  :D

Thanks for that, did they try an tell u that it was all normal an nowt to worry about? even though the granmar can hear it!! :D

They sure did.

It all started soon after I picked the car up, it would be real noisy when costing down in low gears from say 35 downwards.

The first time it went in, they replaced the bearings in the box, as they thought it was that.

Then I was having problems getting it into gear, mainly when it was hot, this was because there was a small circlip missing off one of the shafts on production, meaning that when the box was getting hot, the gear and shaft were expanding and moving out of place, which is why it was hit and miss.

Finally, the noise hadnt gone away, you could really hear it when you left it in neutral with the clutch up and revved it to about 3-4k rpm, you could hear the scraping and it went as soon as you dropped the clutch.

I showed this to the service chappie and he agreed straight away...New Clutch.

It's been and had all this done, so fingers crossed all will be OK now :D

HTH

They sure did.

It all started soon after I picked the car up, it would be real noisy when costing down in low gears from say 35 downwards.

The first time it went in, they replaced the bearings in the box, as they thought it was that.

Then I was having problems getting it into gear, mainly when it was hot, this was because there was a small circlip missing off one of the shafts on production, meaning that when the box was getting hot, the gear and shaft were expanding and moving out of place, which is why it was hit and miss.

Finally, the noise hadnt gone away, you could really hear it when you left it in neutral with the clutch up and revved it to about 3-4k rpm, you could hear the scraping and it went as soon as you dropped the clutch.

I showed this to the service chappie and he agreed straight away...New Clutch.

It's been and had all this done, so fingers crossed all will be OK now :D

HTH

Cheers st3ve, car is going in garage in a week, he gonna take box off an see whats up? so hopefully he will sort it out! thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, We had a 2004 T sport with the same problem, the garage replaced the gearbox bearings twice and the clutch release pin twice, in the end we got rid of it!

It is nice to see we were not the only people with this problem.

Now our new corolla with 2500 miles on the clock has deployed the curtain airbag without having a crash! Do you ever feel jinxed

Taking off from a standstill there is a loud rattle from the front of my car, so I've driven a few times over the last few days with the radio and fan off and windows down to find out where this is coming from (feels like a vibration type rattle that's coming from manifold heatshield, clutch pedal/gearbox or somewhere in that region).

Bad thing is, I'm still no wiser to where that sound is coming from, but now I can hear my gearbox/clutch grinding or "chattering" too on letting the foot off the gas and taking off! :(

I thought I was lucky enough to escape this fault on my T Sport! <_<

Time for another appointment with Mr. T! :censor:

Try the aux. belt tensioner - that could be what's rattling at the front. I had mine replaced a month or so ago w/ only 12k on the clock.

Taking off from a standstill there is a loud rattle from the front of my car, so I've driven a few times over the last few days with the radio and fan off and windows down to find out where this is coming from (feels like a vibration type rattle that's coming from manifold heatshield, clutch pedal/gearbox or somewhere in that region).

Do you exlude misfiring of the engine as you accelerate from low rpm? Does this noise depend on the pressure on gas pedal?

Do you exlude misfiring of the engine as you accelerate from low rpm? Does this noise depend on the pressure on gas pedal?

There's no misfire noise or engine noise whatsoever...

There's no misfire noise or engine noise whatsoever...

My ts been in they said they cant find anything wrong but replaced the thrust bearings an it has made a diffrence, not as much noise now! toyota say there is a slight noise on the ts as standard, ;) so im happy for now anyway