Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"lumpy" Idle?

Blue84

Hi All,

Was sitting in the Blue last night whilst my Friend when in and got us Pizza Hut (her idea, not mine), left the engine turned on as she only had to pop in and out again but the idle felt a bit lumpy, like something was slightly blocked?

When she got back in I said to her about it and she felt it too..does anyone else suffer from it? Could it be to do with Petrol?

When I had my Fiesta (yes a Ford!) it had the same problem but it was so bad it eventually nearly stalled on me and I had to keep it revving..turned out it was clogged spark plugs.

I'm no techie but the car is only 6 months old and done 5300 miles so I dont understand why it's happening?

Blue

mine did that a few weeks ago when i was sat at traffic lights. it felt as tho its was about to stall. but its been fine since. so i just put it down to the petrol cos it was down to the last 2 bars

sounds like it needs a good blast!

the rep told me that with the vvti lumps you have to take it to the redline in 1st - 3rd sort of once a week, as this helps to make sure no deposites have been left in the systems oil ways etc... and helps to wash them all through

i found mine did it on the odd occasion (even the mr2 does!) and if you just blip the throttle it soon stabilises, also as if the ecu just needs time to recalibrate itself for idle setting

Sometimes happens in mine aswell, nothing to worry about I should think! :thumbsup:

As Jaxx suggested, take it out on a spirited drive! :D

Yep i get it, its ok when i first fire up ticking over at ~1000rpm but after a run the revs drop below the solid bar on the tacho, the whole thing skakes and the exhaust nearly chucks itself into nextdoor's drive :D if i'm sat in it waiting i tend to just hold my foot on the accl just enough to stop the shakes, but its kinda worrying when it feels like its gonna stall out.

the rep told me that with the vvti lumps you have to take it to the redline in 1st - 3rd sort of once a week

An excuss to redline :thumbsup: !

But not to speed!

the rep told me that with the vvti lumps you have to take it to the redline in 1st - 3rd sort of once a week

An excuss to redline :thumbsup: !

But not to speed!

Best time is pulling out into the main road - had it @ 6000rpm in 1st getting onto the A19 after going to elivington on Saturday :D

Being a VVTi engine the yaris likes to be revved occasionally. Clears out most of the carbon thats built up in the engine over time.

never had this problem myself...  :thumbsup:

it all depends how you drive it, a 'town' car for instance will never run as smoothly as a car that does motorway runs

Had a similar problem in Richs 206.... the car was misfiring and was all jolty, but then it was a Peugeot, so what do you expect?

Maybe a quick blast of the right foot will help! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well Well Well

I red lined my car like you said and............IT BLEW UP :eek: !

Lol

Not really, it has made the running of the engine much smoother and accelerating and engine braking has improved, it also goes a little bit quicker to!

My mpg has shot up to 3-4mpg + what it normally is to!

I maybe imagining this........but im sure that im not :unsure: ?

Any more secret tips :ph34r: ?

:thumbsup:

Maybe it was because the person before me drove like a granny?

the rep told me that with the vvti lumps you have to take it to the redline in 1st - 3rd sort of once a week, as this helps to make sure no deposites have been left in the systems oil ways etc... and helps to wash them all through

i found mine did it on the odd occasion (even the mr2 does!) and if you just blip the throttle it soon stabilises, also as if the ecu just needs time to recalibrate itself for idle setting

Well I don't drive like a Granny, I'm not afraid to make her move but I've never redlined a car..ever, the max would have to be 4500 rpm!! I do go 8 miles along a dual carriageway and then the same back again everyday and she does 70 mph, quick blasts of acceleration too when needed...

Oh well I will have to take her out and give her a proper "drive" soon then, any excuse to drive ;)

well the vvti kicks in around then and if its not being used itll be getting grumpy :lol:

clog it on the way home tomorrow

well the vvti kicks in around then and if its not being used itll be getting grumpy :lol:

clog it on the way home tomorrow

Forgot to drive her hard on the way to work this morning and also on the way home yesterday..will take a bit of a detour on the way home tonight me thinks and hope it clears it

Thanks for the help guys :thumbsup:

Need Advice, Again

On the way home from work when we got to the Dual Carriageway I left her in second as there is a really tight roundabout at the top of the slip road..took her up to around 5500 revs, if not more (by this point I was a bit worried as never taken a Yaris up that far), left her for as long as I could tolerate then dropped her into 3rd so was around 5000rpm and drove her like that for a few mins.

Got to the 3rd stretch of Dual Carriageway as I took a detour from my usual route and really blasted her, yet when I got back here and parked her I left her ticking over whilst I sorted out some cd's and it felt worse!!

Have I really got to be tough..if someone can give me a rough idea as to how long she needs to be "thrashed" I'd appreciate it...

Tina,

take it back to mr T they'll put it on a mut and see if anythings wrong,

you thrashing it may not be doing it any good if something is going wrong.

i had lumpy tick over on my old car, told them about it while it was in for a service,

it was only a sticking air valve.

its under warranty so use it.

yeah if thats not cleared it then id agree with kim, mite have a gummed up valve somewhere

dont be afraid to give it a bean or too, the vvtis love a bit of stick, not to a point of destruction of course, all the fancy gizmos in the engine need chance to be taking to their limits and back.

the yaris ecu is an immensly clever piece of kit, it literally maps itself to the way you drive, and may have done in such a way where something is not agreeing with another sensor etc.. in the engine

before you take it to toyota try reseting the ECU, under the glove box, black cover, pull it off, youll see a big white plug, pull that out, count to 10 and plug it back in, drive off... it will feel 'odd for 5 miles or so as facotry settings return and its waiting again for you to show it how you drive

;)

yeah if thats not cleared it then id agree with kim, mite have a gummed up valve somewhere

dont be afraid to give it a bean or too, the vvtis love a bit of stick, not to a point of destruction of course, all the fancy gizmos in the engine need chance to be taking to their limits and back.

the yaris ecu is an immensly clever piece of kit, it literally maps itself to the way you drive, and may have done in such a way where something is not agreeing with another sensor etc.. in the engine

before you take it to toyota try reseting the ECU, under the glove box, black cover, pull it off, youll see a big white plug, pull that out, count to 10 and plug it back in, drive off... it will feel 'odd for 5 miles or so as facotry settings return and its waiting again for you to show it how you drive

;)

I always thought I had a good mix of driving style - gentle most of the time but I'm not shy of using the accelerator when needed..it's not like I drive like a Granny after all! Must obviously need to get a bit tougher..

Hmm resetting the ECU? I'd prefer not to do stuff like that myself, get a bit nervy about things like that..yet tyre pressures, engine levels etc don't scare me a bit. Yves could do it instead but he's not here...

My Dad is insured on her for the next week so when he uses her I'll see if he notices it, apparently I have a tendency to be a bit paranoid when it comes to cars according to him anyway. I know she's not right tho, no matter what anyone says.

I feel a trip to Mr-T coming off when I am off in two weeks for a week <_<

Yes, use that warranty, Tina :thumbsup:

Despite some pretty granny-like driving to work in the rush hour, some days, I've not experienced your problem. Maybe it's the faster drive home that sorts it! :yes:

Don' forget dont let the rev limiter cut in when giving your Yaris an Italian Tune Up

you could ruin the Catalyst.