Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering

Demonic Angel

Can anyone explain the reason why the steering in the Yaris goes from heavy to light and then back again?

I'm just driving along, only really just noticed it actually, and the steering could be super light, then all of a sudden it'll go quite heavy and then it'll be light again next time I turn the wheel...

Is this a normal thing cause I've only just noticed it!

Couldnt tell ya mate - I dont keep a log! :P

Just something I've noticed recently, just wanted to know if its normal or not....?

when did u last check ur tyre pressure?

Errmmm - I havent.... :unsure:

I'll get Rich to do it later for me, maybe thats the problem then.... cheers Charlie!

I've had that happen to me some times, but usually when doing a U-turn or something similar, when I straighten the steering it sometimes hardens up for a very short instant...then its ok again... not very nice when you're getting into a tight road with cars parked on both sides! :(

when did u last check ur tyre pressure?

Errmmm - I havent.... :unsure:

I'll get Rich to do it later for me, maybe thats the problem then.... cheers Charlie!

Get rich do teach you how to do it! I always do mine!

Never had that problem myself tho - always have the same weight steering which is nice and light :thumbsup:

lol I know how to do it Tina..... but Rich does car stuff for me, I'm sure he wont mind! :D

The only thing he wouldnt do is clean it - thats my job! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Get it checked out Em.. its not normall as far as i'm aware.. check the power steering fluid. I've never had this problem on any car that i've owned.. and i've owned a car since i was knee high to a knee high thing.

As others have said.....it could be the tyre pressures!

The weather has been up and down, hot one minute and cold the next! This will affect your tyre pressure, also the amount of time you have been driving your car for as the longer you drive the warmer the air in the tyre increasing the pressure!

I tend to check mine once every three weeks. I know your supposed to do it alot more, but I can't be bothered! lol

Can't see it being tyre pressures.. if the steering is going light one minute, then heavy the next.. the tyre pressures wouldn't have changed (ok.. mybe by a very very small fraction of 1psi). This sounds like a possible fault in something else.. power steering rack at worst.

Em.. it's still under warranty.. get it checked out.. safety 1st.

We could also do with a pinned yaris maintence topic!

I know that we have to......

Check tyre pressure weekly

Check the oil level every other week (I think?)

Check you bulbs...........whenever?

Check your water washer things (probably weekly?)

Rev your engine to the red-line (Once a week!)

Check the steering fluid (weekly!)

Anybody got anything more to add/change?

It would also be a good idea to add pictures where some of the things are!

So if someone is bored give it a go........I would but I havent got a clue :thumbsup:

Sorry for my technicality!

So if someone is bored give it a go........I would but I havent got a clue  :thumbsup:

Good idea is that!

I need to check my tyre pressures tomorrow, and give her a hard drive tonight when I leave work...havent ever checked the steering fluid tho!

The power steering fluid is the little bottle nearest the offside of the engine bay... next the the break fluid. It has min and max on it :thumbsup:

So if someone is bored give it a go........I would but I havent got a clue  :thumbsup:

Good idea is that!

I need to check my tyre pressures tomorrow, and give her a hard drive tonight when I leave work...havent ever checked the steering fluid tho!

ermm no... strictly speaking before any journey..check all running lights...check tire pressures...check for any loose body work...check all fluid levels!

set off without checking and somethings at fault...your driving illegally....especially with regards to lights etc....got a copper on that one before... I said your off side break light is out...he said..thanks..but I know...I said..ok drive this vehicle I'll have you prosectued for driving a vehicle which you know is defective. his jaw dropped open and then sure enough he got out..locked it..and wandered off! I hung around for a while to ensure he didn't come back.... 45 mins later he came back with a bulb! classic!!

as for weight of steering...yaris.. is fixed.. it doesn't alter the power...simply feels lighter at speed. you do feel it tighten slightly when suddenly changing direction..but if it changes from one minute to the next..then get it looked at...again your knowingly driving a possibly defective vehicle....strictly speaking..shouldn't drive it on the open road!...what if you lose all power steering for example....

vipes

Does it really matter as long as it works :D

there *might be something wrong, becuase iv not noticed that, but i doubt i would anyway

your paranoid? :P

the steering is always going to be "heavier" at lower speeds

Does it really matter as long as it works :D

there *might be something wrong, becuase iv not noticed that, but i doubt i would anyway

your paranoid? :P

the steering is always going to be "heavier" at lower speeds

Well thats whay I'm wondering, I've only just noticed it, but that doesnt mean its just started happening - I just didnt notice it before (which with me means diddly-squat really!)

I am probably just being paranoid - I'm a dreadful hypochondriac anyway.... but if I continue to feel it tomorrow, I'll take it to Mr T for a check-up at the weekend :thumbsup:

Em, you've had Kaori long enough now to know how she 'feels' so I think you'd notice a change from normal in the steering. Get her checked out for peace of mind. :thumbsup: