Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Questions From A Newbie

monkeyjim

Hello all, well, am I glad that I found this place!

I've been reading for a few weeks, and finally got round to registering.

Passed my test 8 weeks ago, at the grand age of 31, been looking at Yari for a while and one came up at a local dealer, just in time for me passing.

I've got a 2000 W Reg, GS.

It's dark blue, none metallic. First question is, does anyone know what the official name for this colour is?

Secondly, as I am a new driver, I know very little about cars.

Occasionally, when I turn the ignition the car doesnt start. It makes a choking kind of noise and just doesn't start. the second or third time I turn the key it starts ok.

I'd like to learn as much as I can, so I don't really want to have to take to a garage. To save cost, and to also learn.

I cant think what it could be, if I was clutching a straws I would say perhaps it was

i) The starter motor

ii) A flattening Battery

iii) Broken spark plugs?

From what I have read, this is the best place anywhere to ask such a question, so I hope that someone on here may be able to give me a few pointers.

Anyway, thanks to you all for forming such a great forum, I think I'm going to enjoy being a member!

Cheers

Jim

Welcome to the club. Have a look at the car in bright sunlight, if there is a HINT of purple it will probably be Lagoon Blue, I'm not upto date with colours etc but I did a post a while ago asking what colour mine was & the verdict was Lagoon Blue. It could also be Carlo Blue (I think that's got a hint of green in, I'm sure some1 will soon correct me if I'm wrong), but I've got a feeling that's only available in metalic.

I know very little about cars myself but it sounds like maybe you have a low Battery, when I 1st got my car I had a few problems with the Battery & it was doing the same thing as yours at times. I havent had any problems since the 1st couple of weeks though (except for when it was in the bodyshop & they left the door open a bit overnight but a 10 mile drive soon fixed that).

Good choice of car, you'll have to post some pics soon. If you want to learn about it you've come to the right place, they knowledge of some TOCers is quite frankly amazing at times.

Anyway, sorry for the essay, I always do this when I'm tired

Welcome to TOC monkeyjim,

Could be a number of things.

When you turn the key does it seem like the starter motor is turning the engine over quite quickly or is it struggling.

If it is struggling then that's probably the cause of the problem.

It could be the Battery, or the electrical circuit that's powering the starter, or the starter itself. On most Toyotas you can do a quick check on the Battery condition by looking at the coloured circle - see your handbook for details.

Tony

I know very little about cars myself but it sounds like maybe you have a low battery, when I 1st got my car I had a few problems with the battery & it was doing the same thing as yours at times. I havent had any problems since the 1st couple of weeks though (except for when it was in the bodyshop & they left the door open a bit overnight but a 10 mile drive soon fixed that).

That's fantastic mate, thanks for the reply.

Over the years of listening to various stuff from mates, am I right in thinking that I have to drive a certain amount of miles to keep the Battery charged? I only do about two miles to work and back a day. Would you recomend that I clock up a few extra miles to keep the Battery ticking over?

If so, how much - is ten a good figure?

Thanks again for your help, I'm off to bed now too!!

Cheers

Jim

if ur only doing 2 or 3 miles a day in the car then yes id highly recomend that every couple of days take it for a long drive open her up a little, will give the Battery a chance to recharg, short journeys will kill it!

Oh and welcome to the club and hope u get ur start problem sorted, did u get warrenty with the car at all? if so take back to toyota and question it!

31!! You passed your test really old!!  :D

Theres no set age by which you have to pass a driving test you know! How lovely for monkeyjim to join up and be called old at 31.... :rolleyes:

Welcome monkeyjim! You've come to the right place!

Now, as for the colour, I dont think the Yaris ever came in Lagoon Blue, but there is a colour called Midnight Blue I think it is..... Lenry's Yaris is the colour I'm thinking of.... its a dark solid bluey purple....

My car is Carlo Blue.... which is Mica, and not Metallic.... so it *may* be Carlo Blue...

100_4625.jpg

The colour code is in the VIN I think - dont post your VIN but it should say the colour code.... post that and we can try and help a bit more! :thumbsup:

I got a warranty when I bought the car, but it was used, so the warranty only seems to cover the car going dreadfully wrong. It from a company called warranty protect or something similar. I'll just go for whizz on the bypass - I take it that it's best to drive fairly quick! (within the speed limit obviously).

if ur only doing 2 or 3 miles a day in the car then yes id highly recomend that every couple of days take it for a long drive open her up a little, will give the battery a chance to recharg, short journeys will kill it!

I will second that! The car I had before getting the Yaris off my fella was previously owned by my mother in law who only did similar miles to you. She really only used it to go to work and back, which was barely a two mile round trip. It killed the car totally. When I started doing some miles in it (after it's lazy life over the past 6 years or so), the poor engine was rather overwhelmed to say the least. Also, think about the fact that the engine has barely warmed up by the time you turn it off again.....if you give your new Yaris (congrats by the way ;) ) a nice run around every couple of days, the engine will be nicely lubricated etc too.

Oh, and although I started driving 17, I gave up driving soon after for personal reasons (I wasn't a bad person before you ask). I started driving again three years ago and took my test at the grand old age of 26! Broom broom!! Well done you :D

31!! You passed your test really old!!  :D

Theres no set age by which you have to pass a driving test you know! How lovely for monkeyjim to join up and be called old at 31.... :rolleyes:

Welcome monkeyjim! You've come to the right place!

Now, as for the colour, I dont think the Yaris ever came in Lagoon Blue, but there is a colour called Midnight Blue I think it is..... Lenry's Yaris is the colour I'm thinking of.... its a dark solid bluey purple....

My car is Carlo Blue.... which is Mica, and not Metallic.... so it *may* be Carlo Blue...

100_4625.jpg

The colour code is in the VIN I think - dont post your VIN but it should say the colour code.... post that and we can try and help a bit more! :thumbsup:

Wish it was the same colour as yours!

I'm sorry to be a total know nothing, but what's the VIN, and where can I find it?

As for being 31, I'm very immature!!!

VIN - It's the vehicle Identification number. Should hold info like car colour, frame number, etc on it.

As said, it's under the bonnet, and will be riveted to the frame.

Look out for a metal plate about 2"x1".

HTH

Welcome to TOC monkeyjim,

Could be a number of things. 

When you turn the key does it seem like the starter motor is turning the engine over quite quickly or is it struggling. 

If it is struggling then that's probably the cause of the problem.

It could be the battery, or the electrical circuit that's powering the starter, or the starter itself.  On most Toyotas you can do a quick check on the battery condition by looking at the coloured circle - see your handbook for details. 

Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply.

I dont think that the engine is taking too long to turn over, certainly no longer than a second.

I had a good look at my manual when I first bought the car, and can't remember anything about a coloured circle, I'll have a look and let you know my findings.

Cheers

Jim

in 2000 the P1 Yaris only came in 3 different

pic007.jpg

8B6 is the light blue colour in the pre-face lift yaris

100_4625.jpg

8P4 is the dark blue on both pre and post face lift yaris

761 ive only ever seen on a Vitz

hope this helps :thumbsup:

Ok, I think I have found my VIN.

I still dont know what I am looking at - where do I find the colour info.

On the Plate I can see:

MODEL: LOADS OF LETTERS & NUMBERS

C/TR/A/TM: More letters and numbers with ['s under to kind of group them together.

Can I assume that C means colour?

it doesnt jump out at you i know that one PM a pic of it to someone and im sure they can help, (i'd say me but i sound too dodgy the)

regards

Lee

I'll just go for whizz on the bypass - I take it that it's best to drive fairly quick! (within the speed limit obviously).

As long as the engine is above, 1500 to 2000 revolutions per minute RPM (excuse me if I'm stating the obvious, but what is obvious to some, is rocket science to others, just look at me and the fairer s*x :help: ) then the alternator will charge the Battery.

5 miles is the general threshold, anything below in the winter kills the bat, if done day in day out, also be aware that short journeys also accelerate the rusting of the exhaust system, because of the water vapour from the engine, and the exhaust not heating up to evaporate it.

Please don't let me scare you from driving your car, I'm just giving you info so that you won't be surprised, at replacing a batt or exhaust earlier than someone who travels further to work.

Hope my drivel is of some use.

M

didnt think it was "young" enough to be carlo blue. I have no idea on it! would help if i was at work!

And it wont tell you in the vin number! 8P4 is a colour code and out of the ones i have done its never been in the chassis number!

Welcome to TOC,

where abouts in Cheshire do you live?

I dont think the Yaris ever came in Lagoon Blue

It did according to Shaz

in 2000 the P1 Yaris only came in 3 different

8B6 is the light blue colour in the pre-face lift yaris

8P4 is the dark blue on both pre and post face lift yaris

761 ive only ever seen on a Vitz

hope this helps :thumbsup:

Getting confused again, I was happily calling my car Lagoon Blue this morning, but now I dont know. I've got a 2000 P1 Yaris & it's this colour (Lagoon Blue, 8M6 according to Shaz in the post if you dont want to read it) so I hope you're just mistaken for once :ffs: