Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Anti-freeze ?

Toyota3000

Hi

Am I right in saying that all one has to do to change the anti-freeze, would be just to drain the radiator, and replace it with, for eg. 1/3 anti-freeze and 2/3 water (depending on how cold it is) ?

Someone I spoke to said that you have to 'bleed' the system - what does this exactly mean ?

Is 'bleeding' the system necessary just to change the anti-freeze ?

I used to have a honda (civic) a few years ago, and all I did was drain the radiator (as stated above).

Thanks in advance :)

toyotas use red for life and it is not to be mixed with any other anti freezes or water

i think there should be a cap ontop of the rad too, so if you drain it then fill it up via the rad up to the brim then top it up via the resovior then pop the caps on you should avoid any air pockets :)

Theres a drain ***** at the bottom of the radiator and a valve that you can turn ... if you have a look on the ozecho forums theres a great 'how to' guide on this and a few other things.

Remember - DO NOT even start any of this until the car is fully cold - the pressure that builds in the system after only a couple of minutes is serious.

Ozecho link

You'll find a drain plug in the radiator and another in the cylinder block. You'll need to drain them both (otherwise you'll end up with a load of the old coolant in there from the water jacket).

Also you shouldn't use tap water to fill the system it needs to be distilled water otherwise you'll get minerals precipitating out of the coolant that can lead to a lack of cooling in the block and will probably cause blockages in the heater matrix for the passenger compartment.

Just as a query how many miles does the engine have on it? The LLC should last you for ages (I can't remember the service interval off the top of my head but it's something pretty high like 50,000miles. Anyone else with the info to hand?)

...(I can't remember the service interval off the top of my head but it's something pretty high like 50,000miles. Anyone else with the info to hand?)

The Toyota scheduled maintenance log I have (a pdf file from toyota site) mentions the first coolant replacement at 30,000 miles or 24 months and as GT4 says only use Toyota Long Life Red coolant