Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gti Engine Noises

vanillaice

Hi,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are of what might be causing me concern. Just recently unusual noises have been coming from my engine and I dont think things are looking too good.

At low revs (below 2000rpm), when i release the accelorator a knocking sound can be heard from the engine. The noise is not so prominent at higher revs. I have visually checked everthing and nothing appears to be loose. Performance doesnt appear to be hindered, but it sounds like the crank shaft bearings have gone (in my humble opinion). The car has done a hard 128K. Does this sound in-line with the noise I have described?

How long will it carry on in its current state and what sort of cost would be involved in rectifying the problem?

Cheers,

ICE

Well it doesnt sound like big ends to me the way you described it! below 2000rpm and off the throttle?!?

Big ends sound when underload and get worse higher up the rev range!

And if your big ends have gone then your oil pressure will drop!

swing on some parts??

Eh? :wacko:

ICE

UPDATE: Checked the crank shaft pulley bolt and it appeared to be a bit loose :eek: Have now tightened it, but still knocking. Could it be the water pump? The noise is definately coming from that area.

Idle temps and oil pressure both appear fine.

If your crank shaft pulley nut was loose, chances are that the key way is worn and it will still make a knocking noise.

Loosen the bolt and see if you can turn the pulley slightly with your hands. If you can you need to get a new one or a good second hand one.

Got to love the 4AGE for that crappy crank bolt.

If you can you need to get a new one or a good second hand one.

Pulley, bolt or ....

Could you please clarify.

Many thanks,

ICE

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :help:

ICE

the crankshaft pulley (bottom pulley) is held on with a bolt, it should be tightened to 101ft-lb this not sure if thats what your asking ?

The crankshaft TIMING pulley is located behind the belt cover that is behind crankshaft timing pulley ?

The camshaft Timing pulley's (pair at the top) is also held on with a bolt and should be tightened to 34ft-lb

The idler pulley bolt (whilst you're there !) is 27ft-lb

dunno if any of that will help ??

the crankshaft pulley (bottom pulley) is held on with a bolt, it should be tightened to 101ft-lb this  not sure if thats what your asking ?

The crankshaft TIMING pulley is located behind the belt cover that is behind crankshaft timing pulley ?

The camshaft Timing pulley's (pair at the top) is also held on with a bolt and should be tightened to 34ft-lb

The idler pulley bolt (whilst you're there !) is 27ft-lb

dunno if any of that will help ??

Thanks for the reply Jon, it is helpful as I have got a mechanic mate looking at it for me tomorrow evening.

Really want a reply from HotversionJ as he seems to know about this problem.

I really dont think its gonna be good. One less GTi on the road me thinks :(

Cheers,

ICE

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get a mechanic mate to do a bit of a bodge.

The channel for the woodruff (sp) key had been worn (was about 15mm wide for half it's length instead of about 5mm!!). He welded up the slack and filed it down to size!

Anyway, would feel happier with a new or good condition second hand pulley if anyone has one going spare.

Cheers,

ICE

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links