Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need Advice On What Car For A New Driver

jabran200

hi, my borther is gonn be in looking for his first car, he needs a cheap car with cheap insurance.

so far these are good in the insurance range order of price and insurance

mk1 mr2

starlet

paseo

i dont think a mk1 mr2 will be good for him as i dont think it has abs which cant be good for a new driver. the starlet is a good all rounder but he doesnt like its look all too much, the paseo is allright but is a little beyond his reach. what other decent lookings cars with cheap insurance should he consider? needs to be reliable good mpg and have decent power. on the mr2 he got a quote of 286 quid full comp under dads name with 5yr nc.

thanks

out of the 3 you mentioned, I'd get the Starlet. It's a first car, so you want something easy to handle, mechanically simple, cheap to maintain etc. Good in town, good on the motorways too.

Rich

a mk1 mr2 will cost a fortune to insure

itll cost me more to inusre one of them as opposed to the mk2 turbo!

For a first car you really just need a runaround to get you used to driving, so I'd say either a Starlet or a Yaris - start small and work your way up! :thumbsup:

The smaller the car, generally the cheaper the insurance/ better mpg.

Out of those 3, get the starlet.

What about Toyota's newest addition...... The Aygo???? :yes: small, cheap, easy to maintain and a fab city car...........Well thats what they said on Top Gear :thumbsup:

Is that quoted price under insurance in his dad's name then?

If so, I'd still get the smaller car, and get insurance in his own name if he can afford it. Build up that NCB ASAP. ;)

Tell your brother to start small, get his own insurance to build up his NCB and then get a more powerfull car after a couple of years.

ABS is not a good thing for new drivers as they don't learn how to use the brakes properly.

The Starlet would be his best choice but with his own insurance.

Forgot to ask..... Is you dad the policy holder and your brother named as the main driver?

You can get the early Yarii for quite cheap now...around 3-4k I think (could be wrong tho)..even if he kept if for a year he could get a years NCB under his belt, have some cash left and then move on to bigger and better things when he's got some experience and a years NCB to help!

I would get a small call with a small engine to get atleast a years experience of driving under his belt!

A few of my mates brought powerfull cars when they passed their test and ALL of them have wrapped them around trees or gone into brick walls!

If you care about him which im sure you do, put him in a safe car to get some experience 1st!

FTo or MX5... buy mine!!!!

i think the starlet will be fine for him, he hates the way the uk spec looks so probably under a go a facelift with the glanza lights to make it look masculine.

thanks a lot guys.

i bought an AE82 Corolla Twincam as my first car, when i was 17 (the one i had before this one). it has the same engine as the mk1 MR2, and for me is £300 a year cheaper to insure. i looked at buying something cr*p and building up my NCB - there is no way i could EVER bring myself to throw £1000 a year to an insurance company for the privilege of driving around in a Fiat Panda.

A few of my mates brought powerfull cars when they passed their test and ALL of them have wrapped them around trees or gone into brick walls!

If you care about him which im sure you do, put him in a safe car to get some experience

just because a car is powerful, doesn't mean it's not safe. it's only not safe if you drive like a d*ckhead - just like it's not safe if you do it in a 1.0 yaris or whatever.

just because a car is powerful, doesn't mean it's not safe. it's only not safe if you drive like a d*ckhead - just like it's not safe if you do it in a 1.0 yaris or whatever.

I drove a 1JZ powered (280 bhp stock) Soarer TT from 17.

I am still here. Was it wrapped around a tree? no. Did I kill myself? unfortunately not.

Did I learn to respect a big power RWD car from early on.... I also got pretty handy with a tail happy motor :thumbsup:

I actaully feel less safe if low power FWD cars... they under steer dangerously, have unpredictable snap over steer...and don't have the poke to overtake slow moving vehicles on fast roads......

I am a very technical driver. I like to constantly be aware of what is going on around me from how the engine works, to how tyres, grip levels and chassis dynamics work... all this theory I had stored up since before I could legally drive........

Then again most folks feel less safe in a RWD car in the wet... I am the opposite.

I wish My parents had me go karting as soon as I could walk. Maybe then I could have made something of my joy of driving.