Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4

Leeky

Whats everyones opinion on these cars?

this is all im going to say, i just want to get peoples opinions ;) :lol:

lets be honest...

when they were launched - they were good looking coupes... but the FWD 2.0 lacked power...

The turbo and the 4wd resolved the performance and handling issues, but bear in mind, underneath they are still a MK3 cavalier, which from a maintence standpoint is a good thing... but on the down side, it is long in the tooth and 1980's technology...

In a nutshell, you can get a good one cheap, and it'll be reasonable to run, and does have a good CD - 0.26 IIRC so handy for motorway runs..

But it aint gonna turn heads like the supra

But it aint gonna turn heads like the supra

Oh yeah i know, i dont need another car to turn heads as i got the esprit now :thumbsup:

Im on my hunt for my Nurburgring track car.

I was going to get an Evo but even the oldest ones are at least 3k. And since getting the Esprit i've decided i want to tune it up so im diverting some of the track car funds into the Esprit.

Which means my budget for my ring car is now 2k max.

Possibilities i've seen so far -

Mercedes E300 4WD - 3.0 190bhp - 0-60 in under 8secs - comfortable for the journey but a little underpowered on the track, still the 4WD means it would handle well

Toyota Celica ST185 - Best GT4 i can get within my price range, a little worried about driving all the way to germany with 4 people in it and also headgaskets are a common problem

Nissan 200sx - Good drift car (not that i can drift :lol: ) and good handling but engine is a little weak - would probably stack this car too :lol:

Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4 - biggest problem is the Badge and the image, but if you look past that its got potential

Lancia Thema 8.32 - Ferrari powered V8 Lancia - only FWD and also LHD, other than that would be comfortable and plenty of torque

I need to get something before the end of this year as i want to get it ship shape and prepared for the long trip and the track action.

Im open to other suggestions, but i've already ruled out Audi quattro & Lancia Delta as they are too rare and expensive.

for 3 grand you could get a very early M3...

I know its a BMW, but if you can get past the Badge you have the best 4-seater sports car of its era, and its RWD to boot...

the only problem is image... and it will be on the old side..

transfer boxes on vauxall 4x4 of that era canbe a bit dodge and expensive to fix but otherwise you get a lot of bang for your buck :thumbsup:

by your other options i guess you want something fairly large and pref with a turbo (as you have experience with turboed cars)

i know there a bit old boy ish, but what about a SAAB 93 2.3 turbo, can get good ones for little money and can get quite a lot of power fairly cheaply, or how about an old rover 820 vitesse turbo i know its a rover and all that but you can get em REALLY cheap leaving cash for mods etc plus you get to cruise there all leathered up with lots of room for 4 and luggage.

or my choice would be... buy an old xr4i plonk in a 24v scorpio cosworth engine (fairly straight swap) tinker with the throttle body+fuel pump and its good for 300+bhp, strip it out and tell your passengers to fly ahead and meet you there :crybaby:

Im open to other suggestions, but i've already ruled out Audi quattro & Lancia Delta as they are too rare and expensive.

Would you believe I know someone who has one of each of these to sell :rolleyes:

The Lancia is not the Intergrale but has a hybrid turbo on it, excellent condition, £1600 and its yours :thumbsup:

Not sure what price the Quattro is as its at auto electricians at the minute as it had a cold start sensor off which is now fixed. Let me know if you're interested in either mate as it's one of my customers that I've known for years and he's looking to shift them quick to make way for his next project :thumbsup:

DazH - if Leeky's not interested in it, and if the car's still available, could you put me in touch with him. i've been looking for one.

Also, just to offer another suggestion, didn't they make a Cavalier GSi Turbo 4x4? It'd be even cheaper than the calibra - suupose the only trouble would be finding a nice one

Also, an E28 M535 or M5 if you can find one :thumbsup:

Calibra is a top chav car. Just a cavalier with a different Shell. See loads with dodgy kits around here.

The 4x4 are mean't to be pretty rapid but they're getting on a bit now and I wouldn't trust Vauxhall reliability.

A lad I used to work with had the 2.0L 8v. He paid £2300 for the car, £2500 for insurance. My G6R was quicker :D

An ST185 celica is going to be more reliable than a calibra. :thumbsup:

www.max-boost.co.uk has some useful technical stuff on the calibra turbo. The guy is a bit controversial sometimes, but he does know a fair bit. He came to his senses eventually - he washed his hands of calibras and moved on to.... the mkiv supra! :thumbsup:

What about an MR2 turbo (leave your mates at home).

I had a Cavalier 4x4 Turbo. Don't buy one. The reliability when new was poor and it won't be entertaining going round the 'ring. Mine had numerous faults, blew it's head, was broken into three times due to poor security and finally stolen and stripped.

I also had a Nissan 200SX (2 litre version not 1.8). Top car - very entertaining.

calibra turbo unrealiable as owt, transfer boxes and gearboxes dont last long, do you really want to trust a vauxhall to germany and back 4 up

I like the Lancia Thema 8.32 idea, but you're as likely to get to the 'Ring on the back of a flatbed as under its own power. And should something go wrong... :rolleyes:

As someone else suggested, the Saab 9-3 / 900 Turbos a pretty good "comfort on the way"/"fun when you're there" compromise and they're pretty cheap.

A mate of mine swears the Audi 200 quattro turbo is the best car in the world ever and he picked his last one (an estate) up for about £300 so that might be worth considering. Unbelieveably reliable.

Good luck,

Alan

Calibras are fine............

If you like replacing transfer boxes, stick on bits of fallen of trim, and associating with young girls in mcdonalds car parks, while all your nova/cav driving mates look on.....

Mercedes E300 4WD - 3.0 190bhp - 0-60 in under 8secs - comfortable for the journey but a little underpowered on the track, still the 4WD means it would handle well

I think you might be mistaken restricting yourself to 4wd. It doesn't mean the car will handle well (ie. you won't stack it :thumbsup: ) it just means that it has better grip.

Only the very latest 911-shape (997?) 4wd Porsche is faster than the 2wd equivalent---it has taken Porsche this long to fix it and even then it is only a second or two faster round the Ring.

Have you ruled out going for the lightest possible rwd vehicle and then making it stick by choosing a decent aero kit? I think that would be my approach if I had any spare dosh.

I don't have any good ideas in the £2K price range, unfortunately :(

Paul.

Radical :lol:

Its the way forward for track cars!!!

chav, its a cavalier coupe, the tranny is fragile

the engine on its own its a good lump (cossie XE) but the turbo was an 'afterthought' and engine managment didnt get a look in, RUST!

basically its crap

pros... suppose you can pick bits up from the scrappy easily... if not the entire car...

buy one and get disowned :P

celica or sx would be my bet of course

Radical  :lol:

Its the way forward for track cars!!!

Yeah yeah yeah :lol:

What can you do, though. Lee's on a mission! :D

Paul.

If you're looking for a cheap fast car with reliability, i'd be really tempted to go for a VW Corrado. Still look good in my opinion and cheap as well. :hokus-pokus:

buy one and get disowned :P

Im getting the impression that getting a calibra would result in me being removed from this forum :lol:

Forget i said anything, was just looking at possibilities :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links