Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sat Nav Options

marcn_uk

Hi all,

I have just bought a RAV 4 XTR, but with the standard CD audi unti. I want to get a sat nav system, I thought about getting a tom tom, but i'd prefer to have a neater solution. I notice that there is a 'nav/trip' button on my stereo unti (it's used for the trip computer) but can i get a navigation upgrade to my existing stereo?

Another option is to replace the complete head unit and get the full colour screen, my dealer wants £1200 to but and fit, so i was wondering if its an easy job to by the head unti seperately and fit it myself. Any thoughts?

Thx

As I understand it, fitting a full screen satnav unit is not too difficult a job, but I've not done it my self. Several others have so I'm sure one of them can give you the full details. If you do a search on the forum I'm sure you'll find some details, at least of how to remove the head unit.

Full screen units come up every so often on eBay for any where between £450 to £750. But, of course, you take your own risks that way!

Edit* You'll find some information at http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...ove++head++unit

or try a search in the 4x4 forum (most information is in there as the RAV4 forum hasn't been separate for that long!

Thanks for the tips. But here is a strange thing. I called the local toyota dealer, the place where i bought my Rav4 and asked what my options were & how much it would cost to get the full colour screen fitted. He said that it couldn't be fitted to the XTR, only to XT5's!!! he said the only thing i could do was to have a TNS200 fitted to my exisitng stereo at a price of £1200!!! Has anyone else got a non XT5 with full colur hed unit?

Marc

As I understand it, fitting a full screen satnav unit is not too difficult a job, but I've not done it my self. Several others have so I'm sure one of them can give you the full details. If you do a search on the forum I'm sure you'll find some details, at least of how to remove the head unit.

Full screen units come up every so often on ebay for any where between £450 to £750. But, of course, you take your own risks that way!

Edit* You'll find some information at http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...ove++head++unit

or try a search in the 4x4 forum (most information is in there as the RAV4 forum hasn't been separate for that long!

The full screen unit is self contained, apart form the satalite antena supplied with it. The connections are the same as the standard head unitso I see no reason why it can't be fitted to an XTR. After all it fits the XT2, 3 and 4 and I can't see them changing the wiring loom on the XTR - too expensive for them!

I finally managed to find a soft copy of the manual for the full screen unit, thought I had it some where! PM me your email address and I'll send it to you - I got it from some one who was selling units on eBay (the manual, not the full screen unit as I couldn't afford it :( )

The full screen unit is self contained, apart form the satalite antena supplied with it. The connections are the same as the standard head unitso I see no reason why it can't be fitted to an XTR. After all it fits the XT2, 3 and 4 and I can't see them changing the wiring loom on the XTR - too expensive for them!

I finally managed to find a soft copy of the manual for the full screen unit, thought I had it some where! PM me your email address and I'll send it to you - I got it from some one who was selling units on ebay (the manual, not the full screen unit as I couldn't afford it  :( )

They also told me it could not be fitted to my XT3 but i read on here that it goes fine so i got one from sparkydog and he fitted it for me too. :D

Must say i have had it about 6 months now and it is the best peice of kit i have ever brought for a car.

<<<<< looking for the full colour sat nav manual if anyone has one.

Also any tips on fitting this unit?

and has anyone tried any of the mods on the uk unit? I see over the pond there is reversing cams, dvd video inputs, mp3 inputs and nag screen switch off mods etc etc being done to there version of this head unit....

thoughts?

<<<<< looking for the full colour sat nav manual if anyone has one.

Also any tips on fitting this unit?

and has anyone tried any of the mods on the uk unit? I see over the pond there is reversing cams, dvd video inputs, mp3 inputs and nag screen switch off mods etc etc being done to there version of this head unit....

thoughts?

I don't know about the others, but the reversing cam has been included by some on this forum in the past. The cams are available on eBay, I think for about £30. Just remember to get one that reverses the image so if you see some thing on the right on the screen it's also on the right as you reverse!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links