Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drive Shaft Bearing Problem

johnhgriffiths

I have a Corolla Verso T'Spirit. I bought this car from new in March 2002. The car has now done just over 30,000 miles. During this time the off side drive shaft bearing has failed once which was replaced under the warranty in 2004. In September this year the same symptoms reappeared. On taking it back to the dealer they confirmed a problem with the same off side drive shaft bearing. The offside drive shaft was replaced, but the symptoms remained, only now much worse. The mechanics at Toyota now say it is a problem with the near side drive shaft bearing.

Now, I am no mechanic, but is this a little unusual to have two bearing failures in a car having done a relatively low mileage.

I would be interested in any comments.

Cheers. John :(

are they doing the work under warranty? if so let em get on with it. if not then take it somewhere else for a second opinion. it is possible for two shafts to fail but that usaly means that there is an underlying problem.

when you say drive shaft bearing, do you mean CV joint or wheel bearing?

are they doing the work under warranty? if so let em get on with it. if not then take it somewhere else for a second opinion. it is possible for two shafts to fail but that usaly means that there is an underlying problem.

when you say drive shaft bearing, do you mean CV joint or wheel bearing?

The second time the bearing was replaced, it was still under the 12 month replacement part warranty, so I did not have to pay anything. Unfortunately, because they say the problem is now on the nearside drive shaft, this is not under any guarantee.

Apparently, from my limited understanding, and from what I have been told, the drive shaft bearing is a separate bearing, and is seperate from the cv joint. I do know the problem is definitely not the wheel bearing.

My point of concern is not so much that both bearings have now failed, but they have done so in such a short space of time in a relatively young car, having done only just over 30,000 miles.

Do you know what underlying problems can cause this type of failure?

I appreciate your comments.

John

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links