Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Urgent Help Required

ripspeedtimmy

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has ever changed their cv joint on their E10 toyota corolla or maybe E11. I have just been looking in the haynes manual and it says that i have to remove the driveshaft :S. Is this true. is it really that big a job or its made out worse than it really is, Any help appreciated asap!!!!!!!!!11

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has ever changed their cv joint on their E10 toyota corolla or maybe E11. I have just been looking in the haynes manual and it says that i have to remove the driveshaft :S. Is this true. is it really that big a job or its made out worse than it really is, Any help appreciated asap!!!!!!!!!11

I changed the CV on my '92 Corolla about a year ago, and it still hanging in there. It was my first CV replacement as well, but I was able to do it in my driveway. The wheel must come off, the brake caliper, the rotor, and then the CV joint must be removed from the steering mechanism. I seem to recall that it's attached a 3 points: strut, tierod, and ball joint. I removed the bolts to the strut and it was able to pivot it to release the CV joint.

I too was told to remove the driveshaft. I spent an enormous amount of time trying to unbolt the booted piece from the transmission. In frustration, I pulled on the shaft, the boot slipped off and the shaft simply slid out of the transmission. Once I had the shaft and CV assembly free, I took my hammer and gave a mighty whack to the old CV (being very careful not to strike the shaft itself - you might want to protect it with rags or the like). It slipped over the retaining ring and fell to the ground.

After that, it was just a matter of attaching the new joint and putting things back together. All going well, it'd take about 3 hours. It's a *messy* job - lots of grease.

As far as I can see, the reason for removing the shaft is to be able to apply force to remove the joint without affecting the transmission.

I'm not sure if your car compares to mine, but that's what worked for me.

Paul.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links