Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting An Aftermarket Cd Player In A Yaris

VTRick

yes of course

all you do is remove the original unit and replace with your new one

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the guide - most usefull!

Just installed a little unit to allow phono inputs to the yaris tape player on my girlfriends car - seems to work well.

Had a little yellow clip left over - I couldnt work out where it came from! Oh well. All the legs had theirs on. All went back ok and no rattles so I guess it doesnt need it. He he.

Thanks again.

• 9 months later...
I've had alot of People PM me asking how to do this. so here it is.

right, heres the thing in whole.

firstly, pull off the knobs for the heater vents. on the first and third you will see 2 screws behind them. unscrew them. gently pull the bottom and it will pop up, the pull it out. you might have to wiggle it about a bit at the top because behind the screen there are 2 hook things holding it in. undo the wiring looms at the back (there colour coded so putting them back isnt hard). them remove the top section of the dash.

now for the bottom.

once you have removed the top section you are now presented with some white framework with some hoses going into it. there are 2 clips at either side, just unclip it and move it out the way. dont disconect these hoses. just lift it out the way. now you should be able to see the top of the CD player. good for you. you should also be able to see the 2 screws holding it in (if you cant there at the back left and right). undo these. now. pull out the ash tray. and look in the hole it leaves. 2 more screws for you to get. undo these and then give it a sharp pull. it will pop off. undo the loom on the back of the CD player and get rid of that bit.

well done you've now got a gaping hole in your dash board!

now, take the buttom section completely out. and you wil have the plastic front, a CD/tape player, a metal frame and a black slot thing. undo the metal frame from the plastic front.

unscrew one side of the CD/tape player from the frame along with the black slot. throw the black slot out the window, you dont need it anymore. now. take your new shiney aftermarket CD player and place it underneath the old one.(you have to keep the old CD player in even though you cant use it.) it should sit really tight into the frame with some little holes and pointey bits.

put the othe side of the frame on and it should be a really rigid fit. screw it all back together again. ]

and for the people who still dont understand...

THE NEW CD PLAYER GOES IN FROM THE BACK, NOT THE FRONT, THE BACK. IT WONT FIT IN THE HOLE FROM THE FRONT

dont put it back in yet. you need to sort out the wiring in the car... you need a part called a PX687 (ISO Adaptor), you can get it Here its only a tenner. plug this into the wiring loom from the old CD player. dont try and plug it into heater ones. once this is in. plug it into the head unit along with your RCAs and remotes and whatever else you have.  and stick it back in. screw it all up tight and test to see if it works before you put the top part of the dash in. you wont be able to control it from the old Player buttons, even though they are still there.  you also wont be able to use it in conjunction with the digital display. so the CD/Tape button and the AM/FM button WONT WORK. only the trip one. you can only control the cd player from the actual head unit itself.  once your sure it all works. put the top part of the dash back together.  make sure you put all the wires back in the correct place. and make sure they "click" in to get a good connection. put it all back together again. stick in a cd, and cruise!

one more thing. if you have a perticularly powerful head unit that needs a live feed and ground... behind the top part of the dash is a large metal strut. you cant miss it. its about 3 inches thick. it runs along the top of the dash and the dash is actually bolted onto it in the middle. this is a really strong earth point and is only about 10 inches from the HU. easy peasey.

hope this has helped you get a new CD player into your yaris!

if theres any bits your still stuck on, PM me.

Sorry if I am being thick, but are we talking about fitting an extra unit in place of the metal slot at the bottom? I.e. does the original 'moulded in' radio / cassette in my Yaris stay but become redundant? What about connectors and such?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

hi do think you could send me any useful pictures of the headunit change in the toyoya yaris. as long as i can see what it will look like. cheers scott rr,

Hi, the links are in the yaris section, here are a couple of links, it is a easy job to do,

the link to the how to's

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8945

this shows how to fit a cd changer,but with pics of how to dismantle the dash

http://www.aozh25.dsl.pipex.com/yaris/index.htm

this shows how to ADD a cd player in the coin box as opposed to changing the fitment panel,

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...ST&f=20&t=21168

hope these help

• 7 months later...

sai .................. duno if you solved you're problem with you're headunit or not or not but i had the same problem with the crackling noise when i fitted mine it turned out the screws i used to hold the headunit in place were too long they need to be exactly 8mm or less otherwise they touch the circuit boards inside and cause problems........... it worked for me anyway........... let me no how u got on

ken

Ken you have saved me £80 of wasted Sony! Great tip about the screw length! Take the old ones from the coin tray out and file them down a bit and there you have it.

You guys rock!

"You can't fit a new head unit in a Yaris", eh, Mr Halfords audio bloke? If a total newbie like me can do it in an hour, anyone can!

I'm tempted to drive back over there to show him...

Yours ecstatically,

Tim

• 1 year later...

Hey ppl,

I've got one of the older Yaris models and just ordered a head unit for it. I've seen a few guides on how to fit it into the car but need to find out a few things. My Yaris only has a cassette player/radio at the moment- if I fit a head unit in, will the cassette player stop working? If not, is there any way to keep them both working- some people who use the car still want it to function. Sorry for bumping a topic that's over a year old now, it just seems to be the best place to ask :S

Thanks

• 11 months later...
Hey ppl,

I've got one of the older Yaris models and just ordered a head unit for it. I've seen a few guides on how to fit it into the car but need to find out a few things. My Yaris only has a cassette player/radio at the moment- if I fit a head unit in, will the cassette player stop working? If not, is there any way to keep them both working- some people who use the car still want it to function. Sorry for bumping a topic that's over a year old now, it just seems to be the best place to ask :S

Thanks

Hi damnet007. Did you ever find a solution to this problem as I have the same one now! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi - I'm trying to install a car cd player in my X-reg Yaris. I've bought the PC2-17-4 car audio connector from Halfords but when I took the panel off, the white plug at the back of my radio was one long fused one as opposed to the two separate white ones which form the PC2.

Could anyone please advise which one I need to use? The model number on my radio is 86440-52021-80

Thank you

Sarah

• 5 months later...

firstly, pull off the knobs for the heater vents. on the first and third you will see 2 screws behind them. unscrew them. gently pull the bottom and it will pop up, the pull it out. you might have to wiggle it about a bit at the top because behind the screen there are 2 hook things holding it in. undo the wiring looms at the back (there colour coded so putting them back isnt hard). them remove the top section of the dash.

now for the bottom.

once you have removed the top section you are now presented with some white framework with some hoses going into it. there are 2 clips at either side, just unclip it and move it out the way. dont disconect these hoses. just lift it out the way. now you should be able to see the top of the CD player. good for you. you should also be able to see the 2 screws holding it in (if you cant there at the back left and right). undo these. now. pull out the ash tray. and look in the hole it leaves. 2 more screws for you to get. undo these and then give it a sharp pull. it will pop off. undo the loom on the back of the CD player and get rid of that bit.

now, take the buttom section completely out. and you wil have the plastic front, a CD/tape player, a metal frame and a black slot thing. undo the metal frame from the plastic front.

unscrew one side of the CD/tape player from the frame along with the black slot. throw the black slot out the window, you dont need it anymore. now. take your new shiney aftermarket CD player and place it underneath the old one.(you have to keep the old CD player in even though you cant use it.) it should sit really tight into the frame with some little holes and pointey bits.

put the othe side of the frame on and it should be a really rigid fit. screw it all back together again. ]

THE NEW CD PLAYER GOES IN FROM THE BACK, NOT THE FRONT, THE BACK. IT WONT FIT IN THE HOLE FROM THE FRONT

dont put it back in yet. you need to sort out the wiring in the car... you need a part called a PX687 (ISO Adaptor), you can get it Here its only a tenner. plug this into the wiring loom from the old CD player. dont try and plug it into heater ones. once this is in. plug it into the head unit along with your RCAs and remotes and whatever else you have. and stick it back in. screw it all up tight and test to see if it works before you put the top part of the dash in. you wont be able to control it from the old Player buttons, even though they are still there. you also wont be able to use it in conjunction with the digital display. so the CD/Tape button and the AM/FM button WONT WORK. only the trip one. you can only control the cd player from the actual head unit itself. once your sure it all works. put the top part of the dash back together. make sure you put all the wires back in the correct place. and make sure they "click" in to get a good connection. put it all back together again. stick in a cd, and cruise!

one more thing. if you have a perticularly powerful head unit that needs a live feed and ground... behind the top part of the dash is a large metal strut. you cant miss it. its about 3 inches thick. it runs along the top of the dash and the dash is actually bolted onto it in the middle. this is a really strong earth point and is only about 10 inches from the HU. easy peasey.

now for the bottom.

dont put it back in yet. you need to sort out the wiring in the car... you need a part called a PX687 (ISO Adaptor), you can get it Here its only a tenner. plug this into the wiring loom from the old CD player. dont try and plug it into heater ones. once this is in. plug it into the head unit along with your RCAs and remotes and whatever else you have. and stick it back in. screw it all up tight and test to see if it works before you put the top part of the dash in. you wont be able to control it from the old Player buttons, even though they are still there. you also wont be able to use it in conjunction with the digital display. so the CD/Tape button and the AM/FM button WONT WORK. only the trip one. you can only control the cd player from the actual head unit itself. once your sure it all works. put the top part of the dash back together. make sure you put all the wires back in the correct place. and make sure they "click" in to get a good connection. put it all back together again. stick in a cd, and cruise!

i f after fitting new head unit does this also void your satnav as i know the box for this is under the passenger seat with the button up on the dash along with cd button thanks for the reply

• 3 months later...

Hi all...

Im new on this forum and I found it because of this post...

Today, Im going to pick up a Yaris VVTi T3. It has the CD player option already fitted but I have my own CD player with SD card and MP3 etc built in and Im keen to get this installed so that I can listen to my music again.

Ive read through and Ive looked at the tutorial about changing and fitting my own but I just wanted to check on something.

In the Yaris Im getting, theres the top unit which displays the MPG etc and around that are dials for tuning the radio etc.

When I fit my own radio, will the MPG read out still work? Will the buttons on the top unit become defunct?

I was just wondering because looking at the photos of the tape player option, it looks like the actual tuner is built into the tape player (the aerial connects to it so it must be) and was wondering if this would be the case on the CD player option too?

I dont want to break my new car before Ive got it so would love to hear back from someone who has done this.

Thanks in advance,

Ross

• 5 months later...

I know there used to be pictures in this how-to. Now I come back to print the how to off so I can take it to my car and use it as reference I find there's no pictures. What happened to the pictures?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links