Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake Cable Supply Problem

bratachdubh

The handbrake cable on my 2002 5-door Rav4 failed around 32 days ago. I was offshore at the time, my wife dropped it into Struans (the dealership we bought it from) and a couple of days later when I returned from the rigs I telephoned to see if it was ready to collect. I was told that they hadn't sourced a replacement cable yet...

To cut a long story short, it took them almost 4 weeks to get a replacement cable, something which should have been available off-the-shelf within a couple of days maximum. I then had to wait a few more days until they could "fit me in" to replace the cable.

To say I'm not amused would be an understatement. Anyone know if there's been an ongoing problem with handbrake cables, leading to a rush on them? I think this is nothing short of ridiculous, and intend to take it a lot further. This is the second Rav4 I've owned, traded in the older one at the start of the year after 3 years happy motoring and because I liked the car I stuck with it. Seriously thinking of binning it now and getting a Land Rover Defender....

Any advice welcome.

You're joking about the Defender aren't you???

If you get annoyed with a car over a handbrake cable, the Defender would only last 5 minutes with you!!

Oh yeah, if you do get one and the bumper rattles, it will be coke cans packed inside it...

"Seriously thinking of binning it now and getting a Land Rover Defender...." :eek:

Dont go the Defender route your be even more sorry and spend more time in the dealer than you should...

A friend brought one a month ago and has so much trouble with it and bits falling off, ratling and going wrong :censor: ...not to say the price he paid :ffs: If off roading and such things is your thing they are second to done.... But reliability they are bottom league... Take a look at the JD Power survey... :bookworm: gives a good indication of ownership

It is bad that they took 4 weeks for the hand brake cable...I agree they should have offered a reason.. but surley one glitch cant change your mind that quick... :yes:

Not to mention the Defender is a real 4x4, and not a soft roader. The Rav 4 drives like a car, and can manage off road a little. But the emphasis is for on road driving, and they drive superb on road. It's hard to tell you're in a 4x4.

Or do you mean a freelander? These are a soft roader, and in the same league as the Rav4 as such. But freelander are still more off road orientated.

As said, it depends what you want it for. I know Toyota's reliability record isn't quite what it used to be, but this is the same for all manufacturers.

I would think the "weakest link" was the dealer, as most parts are available within a few days, please don't sell your Rav 4 over this one problem, if you buy a Defender you will be back at the dealer every week with a box of bits that have fallen off :( .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links