Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil Question Again

KevT3

Hi all,

After seeing many posts about engine oil consumption of the 1.6 engine. I am getting worried as I have only done 600 miles and the engine oil indicator is dropping from the full mark to almost the middle...

Can anyone tell me what's the capacity between the full mark and the low mark on the oil indicator please.

Many thx

Kevin

Hi all,

After seeing many posts about engine oil consumption of the 1.6 engine. I am getting worried as I have only done 600 miles and the engine oil indicator is dropping from the full mark to almost the middle...

Can anyone tell me what's the capacity between the full mark and the low mark on the oil indicator please.

Many thx

Kevin

Oh sorry guys, just checked the manual myself, the capacity between low and full is 1.3L, so I guess using my 2/5 of the 1.3L after 600 miles ain't that bad. Am I right?

Kevin

Oh sorry guys, just checked the manual myself, the capacity between low and full is 1.3L, so I guess using my 2/5 of the 1.3L after 600 miles ain't that bad. Am I right?

Kevin

No, it is too bad!

You would have to refill a complete tank after 5000 miles! Approximately half of the number of miles before the next required oil change by Toyota !!!!!

It is only acceptable if the oil level moves within the max-low indications in the period between two required oil changes (15000km).

mine is a 2002 1.6 t spirit. going in next week to have engine stripped was consuming about a alitre to 600 miles. as long as you have got a full history they will replace your lower block. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mine is a 2002 1.6 t spirit. going in next week to have engine stripped was consuming about a alitre to 600 miles. as long as you have got a full history they will replace your lower block.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

this is a bit off-topic, did u go to Star City Toyota about your oil problem?

Thanks

mine is a 2002 1.6 t spirit. going in next week to have engine stripped was consuming about a alitre to 600 miles. as long as you have got a full history they will replace your lower block.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Thanks

stoppd using star city a few years ago. crap service and expensive. use westlands in bromsgrove or stourbridge depending on where im working. they are a lot cheaper and better

Thanks

stoppd using star city a few years ago. crap service and expensive. use westlands in bromsgrove or stourbridge depending on where im working. they are a lot cheaper and better

thanks for the info

what year and reg is your car ???

askk toyota for a free oil consumption check also tell them to check your block number with toyota uk and quote this site and freedom of info act

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

do not accept them saying its normal :eek::eek:

if no joy try another dealer

what car are on the case with some customers

good luck :hokus-pokus:

it is a known fault and new short block /engine needed ask for a bore wear measurment :thumbsup::thumbsup:

please post your response B)

Hi Kevin,

Have you got some more details on your car? It's not entirely clear from your post above what the problem is.

You say you've noticed the level drop in 600 miles. Is that 600 miles since brand new or 600 miles since you last checked it at the full mark? What's the current mileage?

I'm also with Silverarrow above, what's the registration year of your car and have you got the consumption level confirmed with your dealer?

Not sure what the freedom of information act has got to do with the price of bread though? please explain

freedom of info act means you can obtain much more info fron government bodies eg trading standards depts on say for eg how many complaints re high oil consumption on toyotas with a vvti engine

they have to provide the info

this is why so many companies are giving the info fast and openly

That's not my understanding of how the freedom of information act works. As far as I'm aware it governs the information that is held by an organisation and the individuals right to it.

Examples being your credit rating and insurance history.

As far as I'm aware things like warranty statistics held by Toyota are confidential and well within the companies rights to keep so. In fact it probably takes a court order to get them to release some of this info. Think Ford/Bridgestone exploding tyre problem for example.

I'm no expert on this to be honest but I'll try and find out more next time I speak to my best mate who's a barrister. Will let you know what I find out

Had a chat with my mate (actually it was a good prompt, been meaning to speak to him all week)

I was essentially right in what I posted above. The freedom of information act governs what information an organisation can hold on you and your rights to access it. As I said above things like your credit rating are prime examples. For a nominal fee (normally 10 pounds) to cover administration you can request any company to pass you a copy of any information they hold on you.

It does not allow you to request information that is not relevant to you such as how many VVTi claim complaints trading standards have had. It also specifically doesn't force a company to pass over any commercially sensitive information such as that from warranty claims. There are companies that survey this type of information from an outside perspective (most notably JD Power that do the Top Gear one).

As far as I can work out if you went to your local dealer and started quoting the freedom of information act you'd probably get a print out of the service history of your car for the cost of 10 quid (ask nicely and they'll do it for free). If you tried it with the manufacturing plant by passing them your VIN my guess is you'd get not an awful lot more than the build date of your car for your money (which I believe some people on here will do for you as a favour).

Sounds like a waste of money to me but if you fancy a go knock yourself out and let me know how you get on