Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E Executive Overheating

AgentK

Hi there, I have just got a Toyota Carina E Executive Automatic. I've noticed that after a few minutes the temp gauge goes in to the red and sometimes fluctuates. The car does run hot but occaisonally manages to bring the temp down to halfway on the scale...

After inspection, the lower house is cold after idling for a few moments but the top one gets hot. I've replaced the Thermostat and that doesn't seem to have done the trick, there is no oil in the radiator and I have flushed it to ensure that it is not blocked. No mayo style deposits on oil filler cap and no oil in the rad so hopefully its not a head gasket problem.

I'm not losing water from the system, I can't find any leaks so I'm wondering if the water is not flowing properly???

Also slightly strange noise around the thermostat area?? not sure where it is coming from....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

I can only speak from my Carina E experience last November/December. The temp gauge would go into the red, then drop into "normal", then slowly creep back into the red, then back to normal. This is caused by low coolant level, the cold water flowing through, then the system is starved causing the hot spots. It'll only get worse, you are losing coolant. Don't fill just the expansion tank, this is only drawn from when the system "blows out" into it and pulls back coolant. Fill from the radiator cap (when cold, of course!). I too got the thermostat changed suspecting it was sticking closed.

The fault was actually the water pump which started with an almost imperceptible leak and gradually worsened. I recommened you try changing this (part costs around £40 on-line). No troubles since.

PS Don't boil it up - I got away with it - you may not be so lucky and blow the head gasket.

Thanks for the reply, I had suspected the water pump needed to be replaced.

Would you be able to tell me how easy it would be to do. Would I need to remove the timing belt etc. Is there anything else I would need to remove to get to the water pump?

Unfortunately I'm no mechanic - I got the part and my garage fitted it. I've read that the water pump is often replaced along with the timing belt renewal though.