Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Problems After Cambelt Change

niallcaldwell

Hi

My mum has a 1998 UK Corolla GS (4A-FE 1.6 engine)

Two weeks ago she had the cambelt changed at a Toyota franchise dealer.

When she picked it up the central locking was inop- I noticed that a fuse was blown (50A marked "ABS" though no abs fitted on this model). I assumed this had happened during the cambelt change by accidental short of a connector etc.

She took it back to dealer who replaced the fuse.

Since then we both notice that the car is low on power especially between 1500-3000rpm. It used to go up a particular hill comfortably in 3rd; now it struggles in 2nd.

The engine light is not lit. I have shorted TE1 and E1 to find diag codes- there are none (engine light flashes constantly).

Is it possible that the workshop have fitted cambelt incorrectly resulting in wrong valve (and ignition) timing? If so, would you expect the OBD to pick up a fault code? Is there an easy was to check the timing (marks on cambelt etc?)

Of course the workshop insist there is nothing wrong!

Thanks for any help.

Hi mate,

The OBD system on your car won't pick up a mechanical fault eg: Incorrect timing. If the cam belt has been fitted incorrectly, even if it is only a tooth out, it will cause a noticable change in performance.

However, if a fault or incident has occured that blow a 50amp fuse then you could be look at a further fault that needs investigating. Bare in mind that when changing a cam belt on your car there should be no need to disconnect any wiring barr an earth near the engine mount.

So you need to find out why that fuse blew. I would take your car back and request an inspection of cam belt timing and an explanation as to why your fuse blew.

Hope this helps

Dan

Sounds like the cambelt needs to be checked carefully.

I had presumed belt change was more radical, requiring removal of the engine from the bay and therefore wiring to be disconnected. Is it possible that they forgot the earthing strap you mention the first time they started the car, causing excess current to flow through the 50A fuse to supply the starter? If so the blown fuse might be a coincidence (but it would indicate carelessness!)

Thanks for the help.

Niall