Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dump Valve D4d

barbells

The D-4D doesn't make enough power to warrant a dump valve, and it would probably sound like a cat with a cold anyway.

I can recommend a tuning box. This fits in-line off the common rail sensor on the left as you look at it.

Expected results depend on the age of your D-4D, mine is a 74hp model and with the box reportedly puts out 95hp and a shed of torque.

Check out my thread for details or PM if you wish.

yes you can

no it wont give you advantage due to the way TDs work as opposed to Petrols

plus in my opinion TDs sound naff with dump valves

A dump valve won't make ANY difference on most turbo'd cars anyway :D

When you get larger capacity engines pushing out out 400 bhp +, using larger, higher compression turbos, there maybe some benefit to the longevity of the turbo itself, but an after market dump valve on anything less is just an excuse to say "look at me, I got a turbo"

And besides, waste gate chatter is a FAR cooler sound to get people staring at ya, trust me ;)

But you got about as much chance of getting chatter on a d4d diesel, as I have of becoming worlds skinniest man :crybaby:

'Blow off valves' release excess built up pressure when closing the throttle instead of allowing it to surge backwards and stall the turbo

and wastegate chatter.... it doesnt exist! the wastegate doesnt make a noise, except for a 'rushing air' noise in the essence of its purpose in life allowing excess boost to escape and stop the turbo spooling into oblivion

the so called 'wastegate chatter' noise, is actually compressor surge.... or boost pressure flowing backwards through the turbo when you close the throttle.... which is what the BOV helps prevent

the chattering noise is the compressed air rushing over the compressor blades

;)

You're quite right dude, I was trying to be ironic ;)

It didn't quite work out for me :lol:

You're quite right dude, I was trying to be ironic  ;)

It didn't quite work out for me  :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::thumbsup:

and i was trying to be clever, spoilt my moment :thumbsup::thumbsup:

well toyota thought the ST-205 celica and rev 3 MR2 needed DV's cos they fitted them as std.

also if by wastegate chatter you mean the fluttering sound heard on a lot of turbo cars, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the waste gate. it is compressor stall, ie the air doing a reverse flow through the turbo, usualy cos there is no DV. if you thinl about it the aste gate is in the exhaust, the exhaust has silencers so as to quieten the exhaust so it is very unlikely that you will hear any sound made by the wastegate, unless you have an external wastegate and screemer then maybe you will hear wastegate chatter.

and for the record a dv on any turbo'ed car will be of benefit as it stops compresor stall and reduces lag, however as rob said most diesels dont have a throttle butterfly so they wont have an effect on this type of engine.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing the point of this person wanting a dump valve is mostly for the noise? Because it would make sod all difference to performance on a low compression diesel turbo :thumbsup:

I believe you can buy little whizzy things for back boxes that have the same effects :crybaby:

Also, not knowing the cars you mentioned, I'm guessing these standard dump valves are recirculating straight back to the airbox anyway, like they used to put on the old standard cosworths??

So there'll be no "tsssh" sound? :help:

And as for not hearing the sound from an internal wastegate, if only it was true cos my old S2 chattered like a married woman and that was on a standard T3 only running 15psi :crybaby: :(

not all diesels run LPT (low pressure turbo) the 2.1ltr 12v peugeot runs 0.9 bar the same as an ST-205 (celica GT4)

your right that the std DV on the gt4 an MR2 are silent but there job is to reduce compressor stall. yes this guy may want the sound but may benefit from less lag.

also "low compression diesel"? i take it you mean low pressure turbo as diesels usualy have CR of around 22-1 more than twice what the average petrol uses.

i think you'll find the sound you heard was in fact compressor stall. i have heard a lot of turbo cars now and have yet to hear an internaly wastegated turbo chatter, i have heard however a lot of compressor stall, which dont get me wrong does sound nice

here is a clip of what is commonly miss under stood as watsegate chatter, it is in fact the DV chattering as it is a Super Charged IS 200. compressor stall sounds the same

clicky

the std one is a recirc yes, but you can yank the recirc pipe off so it vents to atmosphere and then you get the wooooooooshhh

but the std item is pants, and leaks boost, and even stays open when on full boost if you catch it at the right time...!

best thing to do... uprate it with an aftermarket high quality item, i didnt do it for the noise (although it is a bonus) mainly did it to help stop the lag and just the fact for the above reasons

as far as i know a diesel dumpvalve must be equiped with a solenoid to raise the piston, the car must have an electronic accelerator get up as the solenoid is wired through the ECU.

sounds like alot of bother, and expensive too :)

Here are some videos of diesel dump valves

PPPssssttt!!!!!!

They should be able to get a dump valve for you but there not cheap as some electronics are involved.

as far as i know a diesel dumpvalve must be equiped with a solenoid to raise the piston, the car must have an electronic accelerator get up as the solenoid is wired through the ECU.

sounds like alot of bother, and expensive too  :)

thats correct :yes:

as dawesy said, the dont have a throttle butterfly like a petrol, so nothing really to back the pressure up

If you block the recirc pipe you get the chatter also. Can't say it's any good for the turbo though!

Joe

however most common rail diesels DO have a throttle butterfly so no expensive electronic jiggery pokery req

isnt it only huge capcity Detroits and stuff like that that use them though, dont most modern small capacity engines just run the governer?

• 3 years later...

I've been looking at a small valve (looks like the vacuum operated ones form the EGR) attached to my Yaris' turbo. Can't see where it vents to. My car sounds like it's pinking directly upon wide throttle on acceleration after changing up a gear. I theorise that the valve is getting stuck open and stopping boost. So I'm toying with options to replace the valve. Does anyone have any product suggestions?

also, if anyone has a il;nk to a picture/explanation telling you what the piping looks like for whatever you call the boost controlling device oin a Yaris D4D I'd appreciate a link.