Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Too Much For Tailgate Struts ?

sgh

Have had a intermittent squeak/knocking from the back of my '52 Avensis & mentioned it recently when I had a service. The dealer said they would try to locate the noise, so picked it up latter that day & they've said the tailgate struts need replacing & they would send a quote through the post. The quote has arrived for £212, is this a bit much ?

Steve

I just paid £22 all in for a volvo boot strut. Thats :censor: scandalous. :(

Try a few breakers yards. :thumbsup:

I just paid £22 all in for a volvo boot strut. Thats  :censor:  scandalous.  :(

Try a few breakers yards.  :thumbsup:

I had a similar problem with my previously owned X and 02 Avensis. The struts were replaced but made no difference! All that was required in the end was for the tailgate closing mechanism to be adjusted slightly although the poor design of such does not allow for much adjustment to be made. This however did the trick in my case. As far as the quoted cost of the struts are concerned, I feel that most of this must be labour charges. You could easily do the job yourself (perhaps with some help holding the tailgate open).

The parcelshelf also can be a problem. Do the rubber grommets attached to the tailgate press hard against the shelf when it is closed?

Good luck :yes:

I had a similar problem with my previously owned X and 02 Avensis. The struts were replaced but made no difference! All that was required in the end was for the tailgate closing mechanism to be adjusted slightly although the poor design of such does not allow for much adjustment to be made. This however did the trick in my case. As far as the quoted cost of the struts are concerned, I feel that most of this must be labour charges. You could easily do the job yourself (perhaps with some help holding the tailgate open).

The parcelshelf also can be a problem. Do the rubber grommets attached to the tailgate press hard against the shelf when it is closed?

Hi,

The parcel shelf seems ok, how did you make an adjustment to the tailgate closing mechanism, did you adjust the lock in some way ?

Thanks

Hi,

The parcel shelf seems ok, how did you make an adjustment to the tailgate closing mechanism, did you adjust the lock in some way ?

Thanks

Theres a company in Derby called Status Fluid Power who regas struts. Same day postal service too. If you do need new ones then it can really only be the pressure inside them that has failed. Just get them refilled. Shouldn't be more than a tenner or so per strut !

Ernie

Did you mean to post a reply !?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Sorry! I got sidetracked and didn't actually reply last night. It was a technician at my local Toyota dealership who sorted out the problem. He actually was involved with the production of the first Avensis's and was very helpful in sorting out a few problems which I had with my first Avensis.

When I visited him with the tailgate rattle, he simply dissapeared into the workshop for a few minutes and returned with a large hammer and screwdriver. He removed the plastic covering running on the lower edge of the boot and I think the two interior side pannels covering the rear light assemblies. He then loosened the screws holding the 'U' bolt and whacked it hard down with his hammer and then tightened the screws! Rather worrying at the time but it worked for me and no damage was done.

Replacing the interior side pannels was, I recall a little tricky as some of the clips had previosly been broken due to an earlier failed repair attempt by a previous owner.

As I said earlier, I do not think that Toyota allowed for any (or very little) adjustment to be made on the tailgate striker plate and hence the rather unconventional repair.

Fortunately my local Dealer is excellent and helpful. Put your local dealer to the test. I will be pleased to hear if you get a good result from him.

Ernie

At the end of the day, why would the tailgate struts make the boot rattle?

All they do is hold it in the open position. An if it stays open, there's nowt wrong with them!