Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Passenger Footwell Flooded Leak

Nosh

Well the salesman only offered me trade book prices (pretty crap basic ones too) for a trade in on another car, no 'special deal to put things right' like the baloney he gave me on the phone.

Some of the comments I got were bizarre, such as "2/3rds of all new cars have been repaired". Despite being the owners from new, they hadn't a clue about the damage, or who repaired it (something I find hard to believe), but assured me "this sort of thing happens" all the time. I said I was unhappy, so a manager was summoned. After making me sit like a tool for 10 minutes he went around the car with a paint-thickness magnet and even tried to suggest there was nothing wrong with the car. He flat denied the car had been in an accident at all as the HPI report showed nothing. I asked him then how come a sister-dealership said it had suffered some damage and also how the rear panel do not fit. He stuck by his view there was nothing wrong. I nearly pushed his *****-taking face into the soggy wet carpet...

Well, they do not accept the car was not sold as described when I asked if it had been damaged or involved in an accident -they said it hadn't. They sort of feel that because they don't know anything about the history of the damage (again I find that incredible they had it new from the factory), that meant they didn't mislead when they sold me the car. They would not accept they have damaged the private-sale value of the car at all. I told them I know that advising any prospective owners that the car had had some damage (even if it gets repaired) would mean I would suffer a financial loss as I would be unlikely to sell on a like-for-like basis with a Yaris with no history of damage, if at all. They deny this and give me the mantra that "2/3rds of all cars on the road have damage". All they will offer is trade value for a trade in, they will not compensate for the enhanced value I would have got on a private sale either by buying the car back at retail or allowing me retail value on trade-up. In essence, I have lost money on the car unless I submit to a trade-in with them, so they win again. Instead of trying to help, they use my misfortune as another chance to take some profit from me.

In fact the whole experience was to make me feel like an idiot for having the audacity for moaning that they flogged me a damaged car. The damage to the private re-sale value of my car is my problem as far as they are concerned. And this is a Toyota dealership. To make matters worse, when I left the dealership, they got on the blower to the dealership that advised me of the damage. When I arrived there to ask for something in writing about the damage (to take this further), they closed shop and declined to do so, as the dealership is from the same group (RRG).

I feel totally ripped off. My partner and I have had 3 new Yaris' before, so much for loyalty. I am now through with Toyota.

Sorry to hear that Nosh.

Did you ask them to repair the leak then? As I understand it, the other dealer said it couldn't be fixed under warranty as the car was accident repaired. These people are saying it isn't, so if that's the case there's no reason why they can't fix the leak under warranty.

I know that's not so good as getting an undamaged car, but it must be better than having a leaking car.

Tony

Yeah, they'll fix it. But as for the loss to a private sale (typically about 1 to 1.5k more than 'trade') tough.

I feel that isn't fair, given I asked if it was damaged etc and they said it wasn't. That's a lie, intentional or accidental, they should bear the loss not me.

Appreciate other list members' viewpoint here; d you think I am asking too much here?

Not at all.

The HPI check was clear though? I'm really confused by that.... I thought that was what the HPI was there for, to check if it'd been in an accident - so if it had, why does the HPI say it hasnt? :unsure:

Something smells fishy there.... :unsure:

it would only show on the HPI if the car had been written off i think....

The comment of "2/3s second cars have been damaged" seems to be irrelevant as you specifically asked them if it was damaged.

You have been misold, as your decision for buying the vehicle was based upon this false information, i'd say thast misrepresentation!

Try this... my dad used them when his Punto leaked a few years back... got it replaced eventually after their intervention (Might get you in the mag too!)

WhatCar?

Click on the helpdesk link on the side and send them an e-mail, they got back to my dad in 24hours, and they helped a lot.

I'd also suggest trying other car magazines... and get in touch with the SMMT:

Address:

Forbes House

Halkin Street

London

SW1X 7DS

United Kingdom

Telephone:

+44 (0)20 7235 7000

Consumer Advice Line:

+44 (0) 870 751 8270

Fax:

+44 (0)20 7235 7112

Textphone:

+44 (0)20 7235 8278

Hope you get some good luck!

If it's a ex demo car, it may have had minor shunt on the rear end and been repaired "within the dealership,they cover the cost and bollo*k who ever was responsible and it will not show up on the HPI check.

Stick to it and get further advice on where you stand.

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links