Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is The Yaris A 20/21st Century Icon?

Andy S

Even the Golf you could consider an icon, because its been around for so long.... but not the Yaris

Maybe the Mk1 GTi but thats it! :yes:

i think the mk2 is iconic too cos that was the more known, loved by people other than enthusiasts

i think the yaris is the modern day equivilant of the citroen DS, it has a couple of funky features as well as being ahead for its time.  20 or 25 years from now people will remember the yaris for 'wasnt it the yaris that 1st had...'

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Equivalent to the DS? Please!

The DS was so incredibly radical at its inception that in almost every way (bar, incidentally, its engine) it was more than 30 YEARS ahead of its time - suspension, braking, construction, aesthetics.

The Yaris has a funky dashboard and sliding rear seats (available on the Renault Twingo many years before btw...).

:!Removed!:

A

I agree the Yaris has character, to me the P2 looks like it has more character than the P1 possibly due to it's tear drop headlights. I don't think it is an iconic car but definately a great one nonetheless :)

i think the yaris is the modern day equivilant of the citroen DS, it has a couple of funky features as well as being ahead for its time.  20 or 25 years from now people will remember the yaris for 'wasnt it the yaris that 1st had...'

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Equivalent to the DS? Please!

The DS was so incredibly radical at its inception that in almost every way (bar, incidentally, its engine) it was more than 30 YEARS ahead of its time - suspension, braking, construction, aesthetics.

The Yaris has a funky dashboard and sliding rear seats (available on the Renault Twingo many years before btw...).

:!Removed!:

A

there are no great advances in technology anymore, or very little, new ideas come along but something that revolutionary is rare. so in terms of advances we have in the 21st century (which generally are smaller), i think the yaris is almost the equivilant of the DS, it has design ideas that are new and would be beneficial if carried into other cars

I dont think the yaris can be called iconic - yes its a great little car - but it has its faults - as does any car - but there is nothing different about it from any other modern car - you dont turn your head for a second look as one goes past - unless its modified.

T x

I think I would substitute 'Soul' for 'Character'. I believe that the Yaris certainly did have character when it was first released. It looked a little odd if not quirky... the Verso amplified this quality x1000 :)

However, as time goes by it's less 'quirky' and as part of Tegan's point, turns less heads. Therefore I don't think it will ever be classed as iconic. It's too mass produced and accepted. There will be no collectors market for them in the future. Yarii are great at what they do - basic and relatively cheap motoring in a reliable package, but there is no rarity or notoriety that will ever justify an iconic status.

If you are interested in a relatively unique Yaris, then I recommend you look to importing an edition that is unfamiliar to the UK market... a Top Secret release, RS Turbo or the like. These will certainly turn heads as they're a break from the norm, but I still doubt they'll be collectors items.

BTW it's nice to read a different take on a Yaris once in a while ;) :thumbsup:

I agree the Yaris has character, to me the P2 looks like it has more character than the P1 possibly due to it's tear drop headlights.

LMAO

very ghey headlights imo

I agree the Yaris has character, to me the P2 looks like it has more character than the P1 possibly due to it's tear drop headlights.

LMAO

very ghey headlights imo

*Rolls eyes then bursts out laughing at the avatar :lol:

...Sorry first time I've seen it :D

LMAO

very ghey headlights imo

Why am I not surprised you're mentioning that again :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

Nope tear drops arnt all "that"! Makes them look as if theyre crying! but then again thats why theyre called teardrops, maybe because they hurt? :lol:

*shudder* p2 headlamps

the mk1 golf IS a legend, if it wasnt for that you wouldnt havy Yaris T-Sports ;)

its one of them cars that kick started the 'hot hatch' genre

I had a 1978 1600 Golf Gti as a company car, it was fun and hairy at the same time but had a bit of an appetite for exhaust back boxes. It is only iconic because I suppose it was the first real hot hatch, although Alfasud fans would disagree. If you guys like them so much you can import a brand new one from South Africa where they still make them, as far as I remember its called a City Golf or something like that.

I have to say though my favourite hatchback of that time was a Sunbeam Lotus, knocked the Golf into a cocked hat, everytime you took it down the road it was like negotiating a rally stage. !Removed! awesome! The Golf wasnt a patch on it.

there are no great advances in technology anymore, or very little, new ideas come along but something that revolutionary is rare.  so in terms of advances we have in the 21st century (which generally are smaller), i think the yaris is almost the equivilant of the DS, it has design ideas that are new and would be beneficial if carried into other cars

I do not respect your opinion... :!Removed!:

A

Nope tear drops arnt all "that"! Makes them look as if theyre crying! but then again thats why theyre called teardrops, maybe because they hurt? :lol:

They do not hurt!!! We always end up getting around to this "discussion" from time to time :lol::unsure:

being honest i do prefer the p1

if we talk about being revolutionary then that old citroen has to be it, not sure what the model was but i remember that it was the first production car to use fwd

You cant really call a car an icon.... it just is!

A supermodel doesnt get called a supermodel - she is a supermodel!

Neither phase Yaris is a supermodel or an icon! :lol:

Neither phase Yaris is a supermodel or an icon!  :lol:

If a car is just a car and as others have said are just sheet metal that get you from A to B, why do so many of you give your cars names, that implies your car has a personality and therefore an element of soul...surely.

I had a 1978 1600 Golf Gti as a company car, it was fun and hairy at the same time but had a bit of an appetite for exhaust back boxes. It is only iconic because I suppose it was the first real hot hatch, although Alfasud fans would disagree. If you guys like them so much you can import a brand new one from South Africa where they still make them, as far as I remember its called a City Golf or something like that.

I have to say though my favourite hatchback of that time was a Sunbeam Lotus, knocked the Golf into a cocked hat, everytime you took it down the road it was like negotiating a rally stage. !Removed! awesome! The Golf wasnt a patch on it.

The Sunbeam Lotus was a blast I agree, those twin carburettors sucking and popping away. Lovely sound.

its a god damn car, cars dont have soul........................

Well why have you given yours a name and gender. If its just a box on wheels, how come you have given it human attributes. Its just a car isnt it :rolleyes:

Neither phase Yaris is a supermodel or an icon!  :lol:

If a car is just a car and as others have said are just sheet metal that get you from A to B, why do so many of you give your cars names, that implies your car has a personality and therefore an element of soul...surely.

I give my car a name the same reason I give my cats names.... so I can differentiate between them.

If I say "the Yaris", people say, "Which one?"

Its just easier to give them names! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links