Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oem Cd Failure

ytsport70

Hi there all, newbie to this forum as it’s about my wife’s car, a Yaris T-Sport Ph1, 2001 MY. Apologies for the long post, but I have removed all the swearing in case I upset the more delicate members.

Problem is this: A while ago our son fed some loose change into the CD slot of the standard CD/Radio. As my wife didn’t use the CD at the time, no problem, we just didn’t use the CD, the radio still worked. Then, as the coins worked their way through the CD and onto the circuit board, the unit would switch itself off/on (normally at roundabouts) and blare loud interference through the Speakers. I borrowed her car one day and it drove me mental as the Speakers buzzed for about an hour. I took the unit out (trial and error, I hadn’t read the instructions posted here) and took it to bits to shake all the coins out. Much later, with all 42p of various coinage removed I reinstalled the unit. Now, the lights come on on the display, and it can find the radio channels, but there is no sound and the CD unit accepts disks, then spits them out 10 seconds later. No error message on screen, just ejected disks.

I checked all the fuses and they are fine. All leads seem to be connected properly with no signs of cable damage.

If it’s gash, those who have upgraded to aftermarket may be looking to offload the old unit?

Meantime, any ideas?

Hope someone can help. Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi there all, newbie to this forum as it’s about my wife’s car, a Yaris T-Sport Ph1, 2001 MY. Apologies for the long post, but I have removed all the swearing in case I upset the more delicate members.

Problem is this: A while ago our son fed some loose change into the CD slot of the standard CD/Radio. As my wife didn’t use the CD at the time, no problem, we just didn’t use the CD, the radio still worked. Then, as the coins worked their way through the CD and onto the circuit board, the unit would switch itself off/on (normally at roundabouts) and blare loud interference through the speakers. I borrowed her car one day and it drove me mental as the speakers buzzed for about an hour. I took the unit out (trial and error, I hadn’t read the instructions posted here) and took it to bits to shake all the coins out. Much later, with all 42p of various coinage removed I reinstalled the unit. Now, the lights come on on the display, and it can find the radio channels, but there is no sound and the CD unit accepts disks, then spits them out 10 seconds later. No error message on screen, just ejected disks.

I checked all the fuses and they are fine. All leads seem to be connected properly with no signs of cable damage.

If it’s gash, those who have upgraded to aftermarket may be looking to offload the old unit?

Meantime, any ideas?

Hope someone can help. Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Steve

Good old eBay mate! Loads of Yari cd players on there

Hi,

so unfortunate dear. Actually there has been lots of queries about the problem with the original Toyota CD player. I have got the same problem (CD ejects itself). Try a search on the forum and you will see lots of similar reports. No genuine solution found yet. I think the CD player is a bit fragile. I did not put coins in the slot but I change CD frequently. May be this damaged smthing inside.

Anyway, try to get an aftermarket headunit if you can afford it. I wont recommend replacing with a similar type coz it may get the same problem again.

I have installed a CD magazine (CD Changer) that works with FM modulation. I play CD from there thought my radio (FM). That' s a solution also.

Best of luck

Cheers

Ismael

the standard item is useless and as u took it apart if you just slightly catch the cd mecanism it seems to go haywire, but atleast youve stopped the buzzing,

Hi Steve, welcome to TOC.

You may find this recent thread useful Yaris Headunit

From what I've read here in the past, the original CD player seems to be very sensitive - especially if it's 'tampered' with in any way (ie, taken out - I don't think any stereo would withstand 42p ;) ) I think it's also the consensus that once the original goes kaput, it's best (and cheaper) to replace with an aftermarket one.

I wouldn't have liked to be your Son when you found out! I remember when my brother decided to jam a toy car into the video player at the grand old age of 3...

Charis_Yaris, Thanks for the reply and thanks to everyone else who has contributed.

To be fair to my son he is only 3, but from what I have read, these units do seem to be made of jelly and old scraps of cardboard. It looks like I'll be buying another, aftermarket, unit and fitting it below the existing one.

Thanks again.

Steve

Yeah I've noticed that it does seem to get scratched very easily, never had a problem myself unless a cd I've used is really badly scratched itself..then the cd player isn't very keen.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links