Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do Yarii Not Like Cold Starts?

Blue84

Hi All,

This morning at around 7.45 I left for work, unlocked the Yaris Blue and she didnt want to start up..took longer than normal & sounded like she just couldnt get going, revved her and left her ticking over whilst I scraped the thick frost off the windscreen. The temperature was 2 degrees at the time, still was when I got to the car park 20 minutes later so it was the first cold start that the car has had. Seemed a little bit less powerful than normal but thats nothing I am concerned about.

Has anyone else had a problem with cold starts like this? She's a 1.3 engine and done 7200 miles.

Thanks

Blue

I've never had a problem with cold starts myself - when you say took longer than normal.... what do you mean? - did you have to repeatedly turn the key to try and start it or did it start first go, but just took a little while to ignite?

Never had the problem myself, but make sure your Battery is charged up too! Think you can get it checked for free by Toyota, or by somewwere like Kwik-fit, if you haven't got the right tools.

I'll be making sure the leccies on mine are coated in Duck oil soon, to keep the water out.

its natural, any car will struggle on near 0 conditions

Ok thanks, didn't know that.

Never been a problem for mine - just starts and off we go.  When did you last have a service?

She hasnt had a service yet, only done 7200 miles. And yeah Em what i mean is it took longer to ignite.

Never had a problem any other time tho which is the main thing.

Yeah i noticed the other nite when i was up at my bf's, came out after 12 and it took a wee bit longer than normal to start. Thought it was gonna die! But i figured it was just cold so let it tick over a bit.

Had to scrape the ice off mine yesterday - first time this winter :(

As Dave says, Mr T certainly used to do free winter checks - might be worth giving them a ring I suppose.

How old is your car now T? I thought it was about a year or so...

:thumbsup:

Alan

P1 (2000 X plate) Yaris. It was -1 where I am this morning, key in, one turn and away we go. No probs whatsoever. The same when I left work to come home too (it was 5 degrees at that point, but felt a lot colder). Get it checked over as people above have said for the winter.

i have noticed that on mine. but it does it when it is hot too. i will drive it, get out come back about ten - twenty minutes later and it will take longer to start. it will turn over but wont fire up straight away, as it usually would. but it will eventually start. then if you turn it off then start it again, it will start.

is that the same problem as you?

i noticed it on my 1 litre yaris and my current 1.3 sr.

How old is your car now T? I thought it was about a year or so...

:thumbsup:

Alan

I got her beginning of March this year, she was sitting on the Toyota forecourt since end of January and had 17 miles on her when I picked her up, that was after I'd been for a test drive in her aswell.

i have noticed that on mine. but it does it when it is hot too. i will drive it, get out come back about ten - twenty minutes later and it will take longer to start. it will turn over but wont fire up straight away, as it usually would. but it will eventually start. then if you turn it off then start it again, it will start.

is that the same problem as you?

i noticed it on my 1 litre yaris and my current 1.3 sr.

The only other time ignition takes a while to ignite is after stalling :rolleyes:

I just called Yves (our technical guru) and he explained to me why..the Battery power is less when it's cold which is why it took longer to ignite. Also the Yaris engine has anti-freeze in it from Factory too which will last to around 40k.

starting seems fine - my issue is the time it takes to demist without having the ac to take all the water out of the air

actually though as i think about it it did stall as i was manouvering it out of the drive - mabey thats cos i had the fans on full blast and couldn't hear the revs

Never had any probs starting and my drive to work (cos im always late!) is in the cold and the little blue temp light just goes out as i park... it's left to stand for 8hrs or more, come back and it starts first time!!

Thing is, my car gets a good run every week and more... a few nights a week it gets an 70mph blast to the 24hr supermarket which is about 8miles away, and at the weekends it's run regularly and kept warm.

All this helps keep the Battery well charged which is what's needed for cold starts!

Never had any probs starting and my drive to work (cos im always late!) is in the cold and the little blue temp light just goes out as i park... it's left to stand for 8hrs or more, come back and it starts first time!!

Thing is, my car gets a good run every week and more... a few nights a week it gets an 70mph blast to the 24hr supermarket which is about 8miles away, and at the weekends it's run regularly and kept warm.

All this helps keep the battery well charged which is what's needed for cold starts!

No problems with her not starting, just that the igniting is taking longer. I leave her for 10 hours when I'm at work on the roof of a multi-storey car park with no protection except the boundary wall so the car was cold tonight but it was 8 degrees.

I don't use her just for short journeys, work is 13 miles or so each way and back four days a week (hence the long hours I leave it for when I am at work) including 8 miles on a dual carriageway which I go at 70 mph, weekends I do shorter journeys but that's only to be expected. I rarely go a day without driving and I gave her a good blast on the dual carriageway this morning where I didnt change gears early, left changes til late and let the engine have a blast to clear the crap from the VVT'i.

It's meant to be another frosty morning here tomorrow and it certainly is chilly already so we shall see what happens tomorrow :unsure:

Guys, when you're starting in cold weather remember to make sure that all the "extra" electics like rear demister, heater, wipers, lights, radio etc are all turned off before turning the key. It means that the Battery can use all of its power to kick the engine into life... :thumbsup:

Meant to be minus a couple here overnight with a fair bit of wind-chill. Fun, fun, fun...

A

Yes, it should be fine, T. Just the Battery feeling a bit underpowered due to the cold. Neither of my Yarii have had problems in cold weather but then this one hasn't experienced real cold as of yet.

Yea, I've not had any problems on the colder mornings... just one quick turn of the key and she happily bursts into life, ready to go.

Heh yea, I'm also quite expecting the same two years down the line aswell :)

the little blue temp light just goes out as i park..

I was worrying about that when I first noticed it, but was told that its normal and nothing to worry about. Though the way I drive shes lucky to get her engine revved over 3000... very gentle with her..

Trust me, you will. I had a 51 (Jan 2002) plate 1 litre CC until March this year. Started every time, sweet as!