Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broken Computer

Kerby

right i have had my pc for 5 months now. i was watchin lost tonight and all of a sudden i could hear this high pitch noise. i thought it was a dodgy part of the file. anyway the screen then froze and the blue screen appread :ffs: and at the bottom it said 'dumping physical memory'

anyway i reset the comp and thats when the real problems started. the base unit started playin the 5 tone jingle at me. and wouldnt boot any further. ive been onto pc service call who deal with all the problems under warrenty and they want to replace some parts. but dont know when they are gonna be in. the hard drive also does it then the IDE cable isnt plugged into it as well. just wonderin if anyone has any ideas?

How old is the disk? Five months?

Most last longer, but it is after all the only moving part in the machine. The motor might have gone, or sometimes if you haven't used it for a long time the spindle can seize up.

Paul.

the pc is always in use. pc services have just told me they cantget anyone out for about a week :ffs: and thats not a definate. cos they dont know when the new parts are comin in :ffs: not impressed.

Just buy a new hdd! £50 for 120gb with 7200rpm and 8mb buffer! Re-load windows, then get that company to get your files etc off your old one.

ok just been on the phone again to find out when the parts are comin in. hard drive tomorrow and a motherboard i dont need in 6 days. i tried to explain that i dont need a new motherboard but he wasnt havin any off it. im sooooooo ****ed off. i am now gonna have to wait till end of next week to get it fixed when it could be done in the next couple of days

Can you get into the BIOS settings? It could be a fan by the sounds of it, try and disable "CHeck fans on startup" or something like that its called, if the fans arent working it will bleep at you and refuse to go any further (to prevent heat damage to your computer hardware)

if it's the hard drive not spinning up then you can kickstart them.

Remove the hard drive, but keep all the cables plugged into it ( power and data cables ). Turn the computer on with the drive in your hand. Then, holding the hard disk on it's side ( so the internal cylinder is vertical ) quickly move it downwards ( as if you're chopping an imaginary piece of wood with an axe. ......Motor spins, data saved.

Then run a full scandisk - with surface scan too - just to give the hard drive a damn good workout.

defo sounds like a duff HD to me, had a similar problem at work not long ago

if it's the hard drive not spinning up then you can kickstart them.

Remove the hard drive, but keep all the cables plugged into it ( power and data cables ). Turn the computer on with the drive in your hand. Then, holding the hard disk on it's side ( so the internal cylinder is vertical ) quickly move it downwards ( as if you're chopping an imaginary piece of wood with an axe. ......Motor spins, data saved.

Then run a full scandisk - with surface scan too - just to give the hard drive a damn good workout.

That sounds an easier way than when I last did it. I had one file I HAD to get off, tried loads of stuff without getting anywhere - ended up opening the HD up and spinning the disc with my finger - booted to DOS and copied the file to a floppy then checked the thing in the bin!

i thought opening an HD destroyed it unless you in a 'clean room' and ultra dust free environment?

Might be worth trying the drive in another machine, just in case there is a power problem.

Did you try using another power connector?

Do you have any boot disks which can interrogate the drive's SMART controller? A Knoppix linux boot disk will be able to do this with the smartctl command. The drive may be able to tell you what is wrong with it.

Paul.

- ended up opening the HD up and spinning the disc with my finger -

I'm stunned that you managed to spin it at exactly 7200rpm! :D

Paul.

Out of interested what hard drive is it????

I have not had one og on me yet (now I'm asking for it!)

I have an ten year old quantum and it still works fine!

Other then that I use the Seagate baracudas and I have never had a problem!

its a maxtor drive. they are goin to replace the drive and let me keep the faulty one so i can get my information off it

i thought opening an HD destroyed it unless you in a 'clean room' and ultra dust free environment?

Nope - don't think it does it a lot of good but it will work for a bit, I read up on the internet about it - I think the process was in an ebook I found on Overnet.

- ended up opening the HD up and spinning the disc with my finger -

I'm stunned that you managed to spin it at exactly 7200rpm! :D

Paul.

It was actually 5400rpm - so I just had to count to 5400 within a minute :lol::ph34r:

:lol: It only need a kick start it was just getting stuck trying to spin, once you flicked it round a bit it kept going. That's why I was just thinking the flicking the whole thing downwards was a better idea :lol: