Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem With Central Locking

Naresh

Hi I'm not sure if this is a common problem on the Yaris or not but could someone please help with my car?

Basically the central-locking on my 2001 5-door Yaris hasn't been working properly recently. When I get in the car and lock all the doors, with the button on the drivers door all the doors lock (door pins drop down), but the drivers door pin remains up! :( If I push it down, then push the button to un-lock, all doors unlock APART from the driver's door!

Also when I lock the car from outside using the remote, the drivers doesn't lock, plus if I manually lock it using the key, it doesn't un-lock with the remote either! :(

I've noticed recently that the Battery in the remote is in need of replacing but that should have nothing to with the button inside the key should it?

Hope someone can help.

I've not heard of that before, I would suggest replacing the Battery in the key first to see if that is the route of the problem, it may not be tho but I would try it first.

Try if it goes with the replacement of the Battery. If not, it could be more serious, or an electrical failure or from the driver's door locking system (it could be from that sort of "compressed-air pistols" in portugal we call it that way :P) or a problem with the door handle.

I've not heard of that before, I would suggest replacing the battery in the key first to see if that is the route of the problem, it may not be tho but I would try it first.

i dont know whats wrong but i hope everything is ok.......

sounds abit like some probs i had on an old fiat car. it was only a 2 door car but when i would lock it from the inside they would spring back up again or one door would work and not the other. i didnt have locking via my keys though it was just manual. there was a problem with the central locking system,something to do with the pins. i would think its that more than your key Battery. only way to sort it is to let a garage look at it

Whip your door card off, then try doing all the unlocking things... you can see then if there's anything jamming the mechanism, or if a wires come lose somewhere. That's probably the best place to start looking for a fault.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't have time to buy a new Battery for the key remote today but will try tomorrow. Does anyone know how to remove the door panel so I can see if anything is getting jammed in the locking mechanism?

Yeah, it's pretty easy, have a look at the first few bits of this guide I threw together a while back, it shows you how:

Door/Speaker guide

Basically 2 proper screws, two poppers and a hint of grab it and yank! :lol:

Thanks for the guide to removing the panel - it was very useful - those screw clips are crap though, already broken one of them! :angry:

I've had a look at the door mechanism and can't see anything obviously wrong! Tried the door lock/unlock switch and it has no effect on the driver's door pin - it doesn't move! Its free to move when pulled up and pushed down manually but the central locking buttons (including the remote key) have no effect!! :(

Can anyone advise what else I can try because I know how expensive Toyota are and this could easily turn into a £200 job just on labour alone!!! :ffs:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links